• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Should Waltham movts be the only ones found in AM Watch Co cases?

Luca

Jan 19, 2004
Sometimes I see other old movements (Elgin, Illinois, Rockford) not of Waltham make in these cases (usually keywind) - even without extra case screw marks. Is it conceivable they'd be original to the case?

Luca

Luca

Jan 19, 2004
Jon, Not sure I have your answer straight...

Yes it should only be walthams in the case?

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
He means "Yes, it is possible that a different manufacturer could have a watch in a AM Watch Co case that is original to the case".

Most of the American watch makers sold watches uncased, leaving the casing to the jewelers (there are some exceptions). This was possible due to the standardization of the movement and case sizes and allowed a prospective customer to choose the watch/case combination based on individual taste and cost.

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Luca said:
Jon, Not sure I have your answer straight...

Yes it should only be walthams in the case?
No, they could be in anything........................

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Waltham had a case business independent of its watch business. They would sell cases to anyone.

Waltham also sold uncased movements. Originally these all went to Robbins & Appleton, later they were sold on the general jobber market. Robbins & Appleton had an incentive to case the movements in Waltham cases since they got an extra piece of the action on both sides. You sometimes find cases that strongly appear to be made by Waltham with jeweler's names in them.

Luca

Jan 19, 2004
Thanks for the responses folks! Very helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike Mall
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-