Should I oil lantern pinions?

Barrymac

Golden Circle
Sep 8, 2004
The title says it. I've been oiling pinions for many years except "the book" says don't on 400 day clocks. Now I'm told don't oil any pinions and thereby don't oil the gear teeth. Opinions?

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Thanks for your input.
Why is that? It just seems that metal against metal should have some kind of lube. Too much of a dust collector?
If the shape of the wheel teeth is optimal, there should be almost no gliding (creating friction) but a rolling motion. And, you are right, the main reason not to oil is to prevent abrasive dust from sticking. If you have a perfectly dust-free environment, oiling should do no harm.

Uhralt

Barrymac

Golden Circle
Sep 8, 2004
If the shape of the wheel teeth is optimal, there should be almost no gliding (creating friction) but a rolling motion. And, you are right, the main reason not to oil is to prevent abrasive dust from sticking. If you have a perfectly dust-free environment, oiling should do no harm.

Uhralt
I've been doing this a long time but this shows you can always learn something new. Thanks so much.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
One fairly common problem with clocks, is that crud builds up in the gullets of cut pinions and this will eventually stop the train. The fly pinion on a Hermle movement (chime side) has fine teeth and a bad habit of stopping when dust and oil get together. The lower pinions can do the same thing but (on them) you usually only have a power loss, not a stoppage.
Willie X

Reactions: Old Rivers

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
There are exceptions....
I don't normally oil them but an old mantle clock movement with a noisy strike train will get a bit of oil.

We have rebuilt many modern grand father clock movements with black poop ground into the pinion leaves.
It must be scraped and dug out with toothpicks before they go into the ultrasonic cleaner.
Hermle, Urgo's, Kieninger, it doesn't matter who made it, the issue is the same. The higher in the train, the more likely it will stop the clock or the chime operation..
Are they oiled when newly assembled? YES Die stamped wheels and their mate/pinions will wear in better with slight lubrication.
If not, then where does the black poop come from? Dust aint black unless it is mixed with oil.

my 2 cents
johnp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteABC123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-