• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Shop Made Ultrasonic Cleaner

Cuckoojohnboy

Feb 28, 2011
Country
Region
Has anyone ever made an ultrasonic parts cleaner? I seem to remember reading about one a while ago but could not find it when I did a search.

Thanks!
cuckoojohnboy

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
Yeah I saw one on here where a guy made one from a foot massage machine. But I don't know about making one. I guess a guy would try. Seeings that they are so expensive....

H/C

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
You'd have to get the transducers which will be rather expensive. The rest of the electronics is fairly and crude simple to make apart from the wound components. I've repaired a couple of them that had been scrapped - they were both L&R.

I gave one away to a friend and sold the other as I have no need for one.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm guessing that it would be like trying to build a car from parts. The cost is actually more than buying it outright.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
It would indeed be, even without counting the labour. Small passive components are cheap, but the problems would be transducer costs and designing the wound components. Here are circuit diagrams of the two I repaired:
cct2.GIF cct.GIF

lifeisgud71

Jul 30, 2008
Nebraska
Country
Region
Hello Cuckoojohnboy,
Here is a photo of mine. Does not clean real well, but makes my feet feel better!!
The only expensive part was the stainless pot!!
Garry UltrasonicCleaner2.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Hello Cuckoojohnboy,
Here is a photo of mine. Does not clean real well, but makes my feet feel better!!
Garry 128672.jpg
Cute idea - but not everyone is going to have a foot massager lying around, so you have to add that expense into your idea too :)

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Hi
Most foot massagers don't drive 50-200watts of 32KHz.
I was just looking at some specs for these transducers.
I see one that is for a 60 watt unit. It is rated a 20 ohms
for resonance. That would be a voltage of 1.7 volts and
34 amps.
It looks like to make one would mostly be a transformer
with enough power and low ohms output.
I suspect such a supply could be made from a scrap
computer power supply. One rated at 300w would most
likely have a low enough resistance secondary to drive
2 of these transducers in series.
One would need to modify the circuit to work as a resonance
feedback oscillator, rather than a regular power supply.
Anyway, it sounds like an interesting project.
Dwight

Last edited:

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
metro NY area
Cute idea - but not everyone is going to have a foot massager lying around, so you have to add that expense into your idea too :)
Don't confuse a true ultrasonic cleaner with a vibrating mechanism. :eek: I'm smiling because I have a used unit (that I picked up somewhere over the years) that looks just like a conventional ultrasonic cleaner. But when I looked inside I found that there are no transducers, only a vibrator assembly. In effect, it's a fake. Wanna buy it?

Just because something goes 'buzz' doesn't mean it is an ultrasound unit.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Hi
I was looking at ebay and there are transducer/driver for 60W that you can get
for $70usd. You just need a bucket to connect it to.
I see transducers for around $30-$40 so the $70 looks like a reasonable deal.
Tinker Dwight

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Where are the transducers made. I had one made by a company i think it said they were made off shore. No idea really of the maker.

Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
Gadsden, AL
Country
Region
Yeah I saw one on here where a guy made one from a foot massage machine. But I don't know about making one. I guess a guy would try. Seeings that they are so expensive....

H/C
1 used foot massager from the thrift store... $2.50
1 used plastic pan... 79-cents
1 pretty darn good parts cleaner... priceless! :whistle:

It even has a heater! And after a year using "Historic Timekeepers" I'd put it up against models costing twice as much! :rolleyes: - Anonymous

Ultrasonic.jpg

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
metro NY area
1 used foot massager from the thrift store... $2.50
1 used plastic pan... 79-cents
1 pretty darn good parts cleaner... priceless! :whistle:

It even has a heater! And after a year using "Historic Timekeepers" I'd put it up against models costing twice as much! :rolleyes: - Anonymous

Some folks think vibrators are fun. They're good for a cheap buzz... :cyclops:

Len Lataille

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2002
I doubt that the foot massager has much to do with the cleaning, other than keeping parts separated so the cleaner can get to them.

Shaking the plastic pan once in a while would so the same, not that the foot massage is a bad idea.

What's doing the cleaning is the heated Historic Timekeepers. I find HT to be a great, almost odor free cleaner that works especially well when it's heated. Same applies to DEOX-007.

Water based cleaners work better when heated. Common sense, as clocks are usually oil and grease covered as well as dirty, which is more easily removed with any heated cleaner that is mostly soap.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hello Cuckoojohnboy,
Garry
Ah, but with respect Garry, that's not actually "making" it! There again, probably a pondism as when you say you "I've made a clock", we say "I made a clock case and put a movement in it". :)

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
metro NY area
Ah, but with respect Garry, that's not actually "making" it! There again, probably a pondism as when you say you "I've made a clock", we say "I made a clock case and put a movement in it". :)
Mike, isn't that a description of what Anglo-American clocks are? o:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Appointible
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-