Shock Horror, I have stopped buying movements.

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Omexa, Oct 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Martin, Shock Horror, I have stopped buying movements unless it is something special! I am now concentrating on purchasing "Little Homes for my Verge movements". You have finally convinced me (over the years) to buy those little round sort of Metal bits to contain movements. I just got this for what I think is a bargain price, GBP18.00. Many more will need to follow this one. From Seller: "
    Solid Silver verge outer case.
    Great condition.
    A few dings but not splits or holes apart from where the button and catch would have been.
    Catch and button missing.
    Good thickness to the silver.
    Very dirty.
    Useful outer to fit any inner with the right measurements.
    Perfect strong hinges.
    Dimensions in the photos.
    Spares.

***HALLMARK (S) LONDON 1793***"
    Regards Ray

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

2. Stets

Stets Registered User

Jun 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Greetings~

Congratulations!
    The case might have been made by Charles Saffell.
    Here's some information about him:

SAFELL, Charles (Grimwade p.292, 335)
    Postby MCB » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:52 am (Silver Forums at 925-1000.com)

Charles Wilson Safell, son of John and Elizabeth of Minories, was christened at St Botoph, Aldersgate in 1747.
    He married Ann Brent at St Andrew, Holborn in 1769.
    Four of their children were christened at St James, Clerkenwell 1771-80, one at St Sepulchre in 1776 and two at St John the Baptist, Clerkenwell 1783-5.
    The burial record in 1788 for their son Charles Styles at that church shows their address as Clerkenwell Green.
    An undated document indexed to 1773 relating to his application for freedom of the City of London by patrimony in the Clockmakers Company notes his father was free of the Cutlers Company in 1743.
    Land Tax records for 1782 show his address as St John Street, Clerkenwell and 1789-97 at Clerkenwell Green.
    He entered maker’s marks at Goldsmiths Hall in 1791 as a case maker and 1797 as a watch case maker both from 36 Clerkenwell Green.
    He paid duties as a Citizen and Clockmaker for the apprentice indentures of James Gole in 1791, Thomas Kirk in 1794 and James Davis in 1797.
    The burial of his wife Ann aged 60 years, late of St Bride’s, Fleet Street parish, was recorded at St James, Clerkenwell in 1809.
    He married Mary Foggo at St George, Hanover Square in 1810.
    His burial in 1816 aged 69 years, late of Blackfriars Road, was also recorded at St James.​

Please let use know what movement fits.

Best regards,
    Stets

3. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Stets - very good spot from the Silver Forums - Priestley gives the date 6/7/1791 for the first registration, with the punch mark as Ray's case and 24/1/1797 for the second registration - the initials being punched incuse, without a cameo.

John

4. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi, I hope this to be the first of many repairable Cases. I did purchase a Complete Pocket Watch; I went to my limit (which wasn't much) and I was outbid. A couple of days later I received a "Second chance Offer". So I thought it was meant to be, soooo.... Regards Ray

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 10.jpg

5. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ray,
    I wanted to tell you I have an inner of 45ml.that I thought might fit your outer cover. HM London 1804. Thomas % Richard Carpenter. This machine tells me I cannot post photographs
    I do not have enough posts?.Anyway if it fits its yours if you want it.PS: It has its original glass.

regards,

Allan.

6. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    278058-e29c1206cdd7fb1ca1d76f3fe1652670.jpg
    278059-0d17f1e76a31e2ce3c220c464ea6d1c4.jpg Got it this time, I shouted at the machine in American.
    278060-ab8d072aab02496e1f4d659fe310ec15.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  9. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Allan, I sent a PM but I am not sure how it works using the new software. I am starting to miss the old software. One problem with the software is you can't enlarge images and have to download them to enlarge them. Regards ray

10. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ray,

It partly depends on how they were posted, but if you right click you can open them in a new tab. The images in Allan's earlier thread appear to have been posted only as thumbnails, or at low resolution.

Regards,

Graham

11. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Graham yes and no - if you click on Allan's first inline photograph (left mouse button or equivalent) and scroll through the 6 photographs, the first three will be thumbnail size and the last three full size - I think this is because he has posted inline as well as attachments. If you then go back to the post and click on the attachments at the bottom you are taken to the second group of full size photographs, but you can see both sets at the bottom of the screen and you can scroll back to the 3 thumbnails - if that makes sense.

John

12. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Allan, could you share how you created this input? Your post actually contains [IMG]http://from pc[/IMG].

It appear that you entered from pc and then selected it and clicked on the image tool.

OK. I think I figured it out. You clicked on the image button in the toolbar and did not notice the button at the top of the dialog that said Upload from PC with the button labeled choose file.

Instead you typed "from pc" in the field provided below for when you want to select a file from an Internet location. Since "from pc" is not a valid URL it tried to make it into one without success.

Either the from pc button in the image dialog or the from pc button just below the edit window may be used to upload files from your computer. You may also just drag/drop the image from your computer's file system although that tries to create a second instance when you post the reply. (We will try to get that issue resolved since it is bothersome.)

13. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for that Tom-all these little mistakes I make,I try not to repeat and I do learn that way to eventually get things right.

Regards,

Allan.