Shipping tins

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
I collect watch movement shipping tins and several years ago I posted pictures of some from my collection. However, the hosting service for my pics is defunct (some much for internet "permanence"). Do any others collect these ephemeral bits? I will try to post some new pics of a few of mine soon, but if you have some to start the ball rolling by all means go ahead.

Greg

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
know the feeling Greg.... My ISP changed and all my old links when this board stopped hosting images went *poof* also.

here is a kick off.

Attachments

Last edited:

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
These are on loan to the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer NC

Sorry for the crappy pic....

is this thread limited to 'tin' and i assume it is open to material shipping containers?

Attachments

Watchfixer

Jun 11, 2011
Country
Region
What padding they pack these packaged movements (in the those tins) with what (I know wooden boxes) back then?

Cheers, Watchfixer

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
the tin on the right has 'clips' that hold the movement securely.

i 'believe' the one on the left uses the cover to secure the movement on a small lip.

Inside the wooden crates? (not all were wood)....

but i would guess in that time frame it was like a shredded wood string type substance... trying to think of the name of it....

could have been paper, but certainly NOT those *(&^&*^ packing peanuts used today :D

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
... but i would guess in that time frame it was like a shredded wood string type substance... trying to think of the name of it....
Excellesior ?

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Yep... but i did not want to attempt a 'phonics' spelling challenge :=

Used to buy it in bales for archery targets

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Hi Sam and Welcome !!!

That's a good one and a great image of the 'secure' waltham packaging.

Greg... thanks... will put in some others these from wood...

The Elgin shows an 18s watch case beside of it for size comparison...

The Paulson material box is much smaller

Attachments

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Here are a couple of "tins" from New York Standard (actually cardboard), a shipping box for Waltham Equity watches and some more typical Waltham shipping tins (with glass-faced movement holders inside).

Attachments

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Well, we covered quite a bit...

But now we can talk about those 'salesman cases'....

Illinois had them, Deuber had them, Waltham had them and of course Hamilton.

Hamilton referred to them in some documents as "skeleton cases"

We've all seen them... 16 size and 18s... there was one variant of 18s with an internal removable ring to convert from 18s to 16s.

The watches seemed to have been shipped at some point in time with a 'hang tag' attached

These skeleton cases could be used for shipping... and for display of the movement and dial combination in the jeweler's counter... ready for you to choose and select your case.

It had been reported in the past many jewelers were encouraged to recycle these cases by offering 'bounty' for their return ...

I came across a box some time ago that helps in one instance anyway of 'how' these were shipped to the jeweler....

I 'figure' these went inside of a crate.....

Please see the attachments below... as always click to enlarge...

Attachments

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I got a chance this evening to photograph a few more of my tins. Here is an Elgin, Illinois and South Bend group. The Elgin and Illinois have glass on both sides; the South Bend only on top. All are the relatively cheaply made stamped metal with bayonet-style locking.

Attachments

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Here are some smaller Elgin tins. The 0-size tin has a cardboard and metal movement holder inside (top and bottom of each shown in one photo). The brass tin holds a 6-size movement container, held in place by a clip. I also have these 6-size containers with glass top & bottom.

Attachments

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Many Waltham movement tins are simple brass cans with a tinned insert to nest the movement. The lid has a bayonet-style lock.

The brass Waltham tins I showed in post #16 contain double-glazed movement holders that are a little more substantial than the other companies used, but still use basic bayonet-style locking lids. The one on top, here, just has a friction fit lid, and there were several other styles used, some with winding stems included.

Attachments

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
This is the nicest shipping container (I won't even call it a tin) that I have seen from Waltham. It is a nicely machined, double-glazed can with a threaded cap. This one holds an 0-size movement.

Attachments

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Some early ones. Two unsigned ones that are made of some kind of pot metal (I guess) and the top of an early brass one signed "Hampden Watch Co. Springfield Mass."

Attachments

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Lyle,

Neat tin. I have 6s tin for the predecessor to South Bend, i. e. the Columbus Watch Co., that still has the original mvt inside. It's at the bank and when I get a chance I'll dig it out for a picture.

Greg

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Considering my research on the watches that Waltham made for Howard I was absolutely delighted to obtain this little shipping tin. This was for a 12-size 17-jewel 3/4-plate movement. Although the tin is the same diameter that Waltham usually used for 16-size movements, this one has a 12-size double-glazed movement holder inside (alas, no movement). It is just really neat to learn that Waltham shipped these to Howard in these tins.

(Greg - have you come across any of these Waltham-Howard tins?)

View attachment 218534

By the way, both this Howard tin and the similar Waltham tins carry an August 27, 1895 patent date. That corresponds to patent number 545,225 granted to Ezra Fitch (President of Waltham) and E.A. Marsh (Master Mechanic at Waltham factory) for a "watch movement box".

Last edited:

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
I wouldn't mind finding the watches that came in these!
The round Waltham tin held a two-tone "G&N DSK" Crescent St. hunter.

Attachments

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Yes Cort, wouldn't it be nice to find the matching movements? Thanks for posting those. Your Crescent St. tin is the only other Waltham tin I have seen with a small paper label inside an embossed ring, like mine. It gives me an idea of the time frame in which they used this style.

Your Illinois movement tin appears to be the same style. Does it have the 1895 patent date on it, too? ... or does it seem to be a different manufacturing style?

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Jerry, The Illinois outer tin has "Pat. June 11,1907" on the bottom. The inner double glazed box has "Pat May 14,1907" which, by the way, is the same as on a Rockford inner tin I have.
The Crescent St. outer box has no patent mark but the double glazed inner box has five- Mar.6, '88, July 10,'88, June 15, '89, Oct. 11,'92 and Apr. 3,'94.-Cort

Luis Casillas

Oct 16, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
Country
Region
A couple more. I assume that the Abbott refers to the Keystone-Howard mvts. The Elgin is #459106.

201636.jpg
That Elgin tin is interesting, because it's for what may be one of their very earliest nameless, numbered grades, and it clearly shows the grade number on the label. The watch that came on that tin would be something like this one, with perhaps a simple line pattern engraved on the balance cock (instead of this smooth one):

xyzzytom_198853

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Sometimes an old tin will provide grade info that can be found nowhere else that I know of, such as this Rockford "89x":

img771.jpg

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
There are still some American companies' tins that haven't joined the photo club. I have a few more different ones but maybe others can supply some that are missing. Aurora? Peoria? US Marion? You name it?

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
This Hampden McKinley mvt came to me in the red cardboard insert with the metal covering on the bottom. The outer tin was found elsewhere. Not a matching pair by number, but the cleanness of and paucity of marks on the mvt suggested it had seen little if any use so I've keep the two together.

img774.jpg

Keith R...

NAWCC Member
Nov 27, 2012
South
Country
Region
^Dang Stan, I bet Rob Carter thinks I'm a bit off, (I use a spare glass back to send him a
movement to clean). I probably need to get with the times. Keith

PS, I'll trade some glass backs....haha

Candew

Mar 8, 2013
Michigan
Country
Thank you for your contribution. Do you think the Solar was ever cased?
Possibly. There looks to be scratches in the mounting screw holes but I am not sure. I actually bought it as is to be cased but decided to just keep it in the shipping container.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehedi94
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-