Shipping from Vancouver

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
I recently bought a cheap clock at auction in Vancouver (Richmond to be precise) but am having difficulty finding someone to pack and ship the clock - quotes I get from services such as netparcel and parcelmonkey show that the shipping cost shouldn't be so high, but the shippers the auctioneers recommend all come in at 2-3x the price. Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Is the auction itself shipping? Or are they using 3rd-party shipping companies?

How big and how heavy is the clock?

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
They are recommending 3rd party shippers. I am asking if the auction house can pack it, so I can then arrange pick up - haven't heard back yet.

Its a small, and quite light clock - https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-19th-century-rosewood-and-inlaid-carriage-clock-2294121b51

As it is a travelling clock, it doesn't need any special packing

Bought it because I think it has an interesting escapement - the semi-platform is of a style that was used for a variety of chaff-cutter escapements including Garnier's deign, although I don't think this one is a Garnier. To be honest I didn't think my bid would be successful, so I wasn't expecting to have to organise shipping..

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Ooh. Getting caught off guard during an unexpected auction win:oops:.

That small should run no more than 50 dollars total… I had a two clocks shipped from the Canadian border for under a hundred bucks…

If you have a friend in Vancouver, you could have them ship it.

Nice clock btw.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Yeah, I like the clock - front winding, with an engine turned silvered dial means it is quite early, and I’m hoping the escapement is something out of the ordinary. Just wasn’t expecting to win it at auction..

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
How about asking Hedleys if they know anybody over there? They might know somebody they could put you on to. They have proved very good to know since Brexit, I realise it is a bit of a longshot but you are on their customer list so they might be happy to pass on a contact.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Thanks for everyone's comments. By asking around, I was able to find a UPS store (#424 if anyone else wants to ship from Vancouver) that would quote for shipping via Canada Post. The lowest cost on surface shipping for pick-up, packing and shipping to Australia was a remarkable CAD$43 - roughly nine times cheaper than the other quotes I was receiving!

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Thanks for everyone's comments. By asking around, I was able to find a UPS store (#424 if anyone else wants to ship from Vancouver) that would quote for shipping via Canada Post. The lowest cost on surface shipping for pick-up, packing and shipping to Australia was a remarkable CAD$43 - roughly nine times cheaper than the other quotes I was receiving!
43 CAD is ideal! Pay 300 CAD and end up with gold lined packaging along with a gift of free valet (or that’s what I hope).

Now you got two options!

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
The last clock I shipped from London the auctioneer organised for me to be refunded the VAT on the auction premium. In the end they sent me a refund to ship the clock...cheapest postage I’ve ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-