• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Sherline Mill

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
Hi Guys,
It has been suggested that in place of buying a bushing machine I could by a Sherline mill to go with my Sherline lathe on order.
It has been stated Sherline offer a vertical column milling attachment and various stand alone Milling machines. Being green to such machinery I am seeking those on this forum who have experience of milling to hopefully aid my selection. I am minded towards a stand alone model
For starters after talking to the UK Sherline distrubutor's rep I am informed the stand alone 5100 only offers 3 a 3 inch Z axis and that would be very limiting. I was advised that the 5400 (imperial) standalone lathe would be a better bet as it has a 5 inch Z axis 9not up on axis yet so forgive my errors here)
Moving on the next question is accessories, here I also need help. It is suggested :

Milling vice
chuck adapter
Tooling Plate
Cutters, I think I would need cutters for drilling out and milling square or fly cutters.

Can anyone offer a much info on the Sherline bushing capability there is i believe a bushing / depthing tool, has anyone any experience?

regards
Chris

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'll see if we can attract @Jerry Kieffer to this thread. He has lots of knowledge about Sherline and other lathes/mills.

Reactions: ChrisCam

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region

rgmt79

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2016
Brno, Czech Republic. London, UK
Country
Region
I concur with shutters, Jerry Keiffer provides a video workshop demonstrating how to use a Sherline Mill attachment to the lathe to carry out bushing work. I have used his method with a Unimat 3 + Milling attachment with very satisfactory results. He demonstrates a few other tricks too:)

Richard

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
I would advise going with the stand alone mill. As for the size limitations, as with any machine you need to consider just what you plan to use it for. Regarding accessories, you can buy all the toys in the store in anticipation that you may find a use for them, or start with the basics and order additional stuff as needed. If you are buying a mill for bushing work, perhaps it would be good to get the accessory designed for that purpose. There is a lot of capability built into the Sherline lathe and mill, but the operation of these machines requires skills that take time to master......if anyone ever completely masters them.

RC

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Hi Guys,
It has been suggested that in place of buying a bushing machine I could by a Sherline mill to go with my Sherline lathe on order.
It has been stated Sherline offer a vertical column milling attachment and various stand alone Milling machines. Being green to such machinery I am seeking those on this forum who have experience of milling to hopefully aid my selection. I am minded towards a stand alone model
For starters after talking to the UK Sherline distrubutor's rep I am informed the stand alone 5100 only offers 3 a 3 inch Z axis and that would be very limiting. I was advised that the 5400 (imperial) standalone lathe would be a better bet as it has a 5 inch Z axis 9not up on axis yet so forgive my errors here)
Moving on the next question is accessories, here I also need help. It is suggested :

Milling vice
chuck adapter
Tooling Plate
Cutters, I think I would need cutters for drilling out and milling square or fly cutters.

Can anyone offer a much info on the Sherline bushing capability there is i believe a bushing / depthing tool, has anyone any experience?

regards
Chris
Chris

Unless funds are very short, I would suggest the 5400 Mill with or without the motor that can be supplied from a Lathe. However, while the use of a single motor will save money initially if required, I can assure you that you will purchase a motor for the mill at a later date.

Minimal accessories for the mill so it can be utilized out of the box per sherlines instruction guide are as follows.

(1) The Mill collet set (Three collets and a drawbar) so you can effectively hold endmills and other accessories. Inch or metric depending on your preference. New and used cutters can be purchased in the UK from tool suppliers. You may want to attend a Model engineering show to see whats available both new and used.

(2) Milling vise so you have a way of holding work pieces.

(3) A 8MM collet holder and drawbar if you have or plan to use WW and 8MM collets.

I would suggest starting with the above items, make some chips and additional accessories will quickly present their need based on your specific needs as an individual.

Bushing can be done on any of the Sherline milling options by purchasing a Headstock spacer (Included with the 5400) to give you the reach required to bush plates up to 7" wide. Almost any plate size can be bushed by rotating the headstock 90 degrees and using a large right angle plate for mounting the movement plate. (Rarely needed)
In addition, for bushing, you will need to purchase bushing reamers and matching bushings of your choice based on discussion with your supplier. All sizes can be mounted in the Mill.
From this point you will need to have a method of holding your movement plate. These can be purchased from Sherline or machined from your own design utilizing the Mill.

The attached photo shows my personal movement holders Machined on the Mill designed to allow the lower plate to be removed for the depthing process when utilized.

Jerry Kieffer

DSC00049 (2).jpg

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
Chris

Unless funds are very short, I would suggest the 5400 Mill with or without the motor that can be supplied from a Lathe. However, while the use of a single motor will save money initially if required, I can assure you that you will purchase a motor for the mill at a later date.

Minimal accessories for the mill so it can be utilized out of the box per sherlines instruction guide are as follows.

(1) The Mill collet set (Three collets and a drawbar) so you can effectively hold endmills and other accessories. Inch or metric depending on your preference. New and used cutters can be purchased in the UK from tool suppliers. You may want to attend a Model engineering show to see whats available both new and used.

(2) Milling vise so you have a way of holding work pieces.

(3) A 8MM collet holder and drawbar if you have or plan to use WW and 8MM collets.

I would suggest starting with the above items, make some chips and additional accessories will quickly present their need based on your specific needs as an individual.

Bushing can be done on any of the Sherline milling options by purchasing a Headstock spacer (Included with the 5400) to give you the reach required to bush plates up to 7" wide. Almost any plate size can be bushed by rotating the headstock 90 degrees and using a large right angle plate for mounting the movement plate. (Rarely needed)
In addition, for bushing, you will need to purchase bushing reamers and matching bushings of your choice based on discussion with your supplier. All sizes can be mounted in the Mill.
From this point you will need to have a method of holding your movement plate. These can be purchased from Sherline or machined from your own design utilizing the Mill.

The attached photo shows my personal movement holders Machined on the Mill designed to allow the lower plate to be removed for the depthing process when utilized.

Jerry Kieffer

View attachment 514334
Thank you Jerry very much for this, it will help a lot.
Regards
Chris

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Hi Chris,

Happy to see that your questions were answered.
Might I suggest that you consider trying an introductory NAWCC Membership. It's a 4 month "Trial" offering for $30 (More if you want the Bulletin and Mart mailed overseas).

Why?

As a member, you'll be able to purchase online courses at a $30 discount. Your trial membership will pay for itself if you take just one of the courses. There is one of Mr. Kieffer demonstrating the use of his Sherline Mill to Bush and Depth Plates. Like you, I had absolutely no experience with a Milling Machine. I purchased the course and found it to be very helpful. I plan to purchase others as well. Hopefully, the Association will produce more courses in the future. Products by Category If you're pretty sure that you're going to go this route, I'd even suggest that you watch the hour-long course before you order your equipment. You have access to the material for 90 days (I think) so you can watch it as often as you like.

Just another suggestion.

Good luck and have fun.

Regards,

Bruce

Reactions: NEW65 and ChrisCam

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
Hi Chris,

Happy to see that your questions were answered.
Might I suggest that you consider trying an introductory NAWCC Membership. It's a 4 month "Trial" offering for $30 (More if you want the Bulletin and Mart mailed overseas).

Why?

As a member, you'll be able to purchase online courses at a $30 discount. Your trial membership will pay for itself if you take just one of the courses. There is one of Mr. Kieffer demonstrating the use of his Sherline Mill to Bush and Depth Plates. Like you, I had absolutely no experience with a Milling Machine. I purchased the course and found it to be very helpful. I plan to purchase others as well. Hopefully, the Association will produce more courses in the future. Products by Category If you're pretty sure that you're going to go this route, I'd even suggest that you watch the hour-long course before you order your equipment. You have access to the material for 90 days (I think) so you can watch it as often as you like.

Just another suggestion.

Good luck and have fun.

Regards,

Bruce
Yes it is in my mind where does one find the details and costs of membership?
chris

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Reactions: NEW65

Forum statistics

Threads