Sherline Lathe Accessory list

Firegriff

Feb 22, 2013
Country
I may be able scrape up the funds to purchase a Sherline lathe and possibly a mill. Which lathe and mill work best for for watch repair work and light clock repair work and is their a list of accessories that need to be ordered at the same time. I am going to try to get a copy off their catalog for a wish list.?

Last edited by a moderator:

Firegriff

Feb 22, 2013
Country
Re: Sheirline Lathe Accessory list

Thank you for the information. The first big decision if measurement type I will probably go with metric since that is what most of the world is using I know most of the watches and clocks I may work are american that used fractions of inches but I do have a Boley WW lathe for some of the work. I will probably purchase the long bed lathe so I can do longer work if I wish, Not sure on threading but may purchase that option so that I have it. I ordered the accessory books(there are 2). I will check out the lathe class for any suggestions on what they require to bring to the class as a starter wish list.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
I may be able scrape up the funds to purchase a Sheirline lathe and possibly a mill. Which lathe and mill work best for for watch repair work and light clock repair work and is their a list of accessories that need to be ordered at the same time. I am going to try to get a copy off their catalog for a wish list.?
Firegriff
The lathe and Mill are the easy suggestions.

For both watch and clock repair, I would suggest the 4500 "A" package short bed Lathe. Or at least the Short bed if you plan to machine your parts as the Lathe is designed for. Almost all of your work will be very short and regularly utilizing the carriage hand wheel calibrations of the long bed can be a real pain.

For the Mill, I would suggest the 5400.

Accessories are the difficult items to suggest since we each do things in our own way. I would first suggest reading Sherlines assembly guide from cover to cover.
It will give you an idea of whats available and how to use it.

For the Lathe, the Minimum per my personal experience will be as follows.

(1) You will need either a WW or a 8MM set of watchmakers collets. (DO NOT PURCHASE CHINESE COLLETS OFF OF E-BAY OR ELSEWHERE)

(2) You will need a 8MM collet holder and draw bar.

(3) the Sherline adjustable tailstock tool holder and 8mm collet holder are a must for watch work.

(4) For machining your parts, I would suggest the carbide three piece lathe tool set P/N 3006

For the Mill

(1) You will of course need a vise.

(2) The milling collet set is a must.

(3) I would suggest starting with stub end mills 1/16", 1/8"", 3/16" and 1/4"

Make Chips on both machines and purchase additional accessories as needed.

Jerry Kieffer

Last edited by a moderator:

Firegriff

Feb 22, 2013
Country
Thank you Jerry when I have bought tools like this in the past I usually over buy and end up with accessories that I may never use so asking the experts will save me money and not have things that never come out of the box.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment