Sherline Deluxe Collet Set Wood Box

jmtaylo3

NAWCC Member
Jul 17, 2007
Pennsylvania Dutch Country
Country
Region
Any Sherline users feel this set is adequate for most clock repair?
PN 1179 metric or PN1162 inches.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
jmtaylo3;534882 said:
Any Sherline users feel this set is adequate for most clock repair?
PN 1179 metric or PN1162 inches.

Thanks,
John
I have the P/N 1162 inch set. These collets work very well for standard size readily available stock when making parts from bar stock. For this type work there is no subsitute for having the exact size for maximum holding power and accuracy.
However, for holding existing Horological parts they are seldom the exact size needed.
For this type work I personally prefer a complete numbered set from #1 to #80. Having said that, the most commonly used collets in this set are from #3 to # 50.

Jerry Kieffer

jmtaylo3

NAWCC Member
Jul 17, 2007
Country
Region
Hi Jerry,

I appreciate your response. I'm presently using just the 3 jaw chuck that came with the unit, but when trying to polish and then burnish I end up somtimes breaking the pivot off and then need to do a re pivoting job also.:D

I really enjoy using the Sherline and I am ready to purchase a good set of collets. I usually work on all types of early American clocks and now am getting into rebuilding the German Hermle movements.

Sounds like I need to spend $$$. I may start off with the mertic set and then add collets as I need them.

Thank You,

StephanG

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Country
Before you spend too much have a look around for "ER" type collets.
These are becoming available in smaller sizes and the advantage of their design is that they will close a lot further than a traditional collet which means you can cover a bigger range with less collets.
Can also cover metric and imperial with the same set.
I have seen them down to 1/16 and ER 8 size. ( denotes body size )
You can also get adaptors ( you will need one to suit your lathe ) and closing rings if you want to make your own adaptor.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
StephanG;535011 said:
Before you spend too much have a look around for "ER" type collets.
These are becoming available in smaller sizes and the advantage of their design is that they will close a lot further than a traditional collet which means you can cover a bigger range with less collets.
Can also cover metric and imperial with the same set.
I have seen them down to 1/16 and ER 8 size. ( denotes body size )
You can also get adaptors ( you will need one to suit your lathe ) and closing rings if you want to make your own adaptor.
Steve
You bring up a good point in that all options should be considered. I would also suggest that all options be tried before purchase to see if they actually work for what is intended.

I have a full set of "Scully Jones" ER-16 collets typically used with small machine tools. The smallest collet is 1/32" with a range of .020"-.040" that I think was a special order from this supplier but available from others. The largest in the set is 13/32" with a range of .393"-.433"
These collets are highly accurate, function flawlessly and usefully for many applications.
However personally, I seldom use them for Horological or Micro machining work in favor of WW/8mm collet system for several reasons.
The first and primary reason, is that when working with small parts you are normally working next to the collet. The flat nose of the "ER" collets along with the large closing nut obstructs vision and tooling angles/setups when working close to the collet. In comparision the WW collet nose is much smaller and streamlined. In addition the collets generally have a curved slightly extended nose with maximum access to the work piece. When set up for the "ER" system, I find myself limited to standard collets. With the WW/8MM system there is a wide range of special collets, chucks, pot collets available specifically refined for maximum efficiency when working on small parts. While more expensive as you mentioned, personally I find the greater versitility and capabilities to be more than worth the extra cost. But then again having both sets and capabilities is priceless as they say.

Jerry Kieffer

StephanG

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Country
Jerry, I agree with your comments.

I was basing my idea on the fact that up to now the person had been doing all his work with a 3 jaw chuck.

Remember also that "er8" or even "er10" will be a lot smaller than your "er16" and a set of say 12 of these will be a lot cheaper than 40 or 50 ww8 collets.

He could still add a ww8 adaptor to use other accessories as and when needed.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
StephanG;535047 said:
Remember also that "er8" or even "er10" will be a lot smaller than your "er16" and a set of say 12 of these will be a lot cheaper than 40 or 50 ww8 collets.
But they won`t look near as impressive as 40-50 WW collets in a nice wood box.

Jerry Kieffer

jmtaylo3

NAWCC Member
Jul 17, 2007
Country
Region
I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the NAWCC School recommends WW Collets #10 to #50 in even numbers: 10, 12, 14, 16...etc.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
jmtaylo3;535129 said:
These also come in a nice wood box.

http://www.maritool.com/Collets-ER-Collets-ER-Collet-Sets/c21_56_22/index.html

They are not made by "Scully Jones". They sure are a lot cheaper than buying 50-80 collets. Question is do they really provide the accurate tolerances required in clock repair.
John
Purchasing tools and tooling is a learning experience. Personally, when I have purchased these items based on price alone, I have lost big time. Not only in accuracy, but most importantly in capabilities and lost skill development.

While this thread has given you conciderations there are other things to consider. If you aready own a Sherline lathe, the standard spindle offers a wide range of chucks as well as MT Collets and WW/8mm collets. All three of these options will be desirable when doing a wide range of Horological work and all three are accurate enough for clock work. To handle a wide range of clock work you will also need to add a small Milling machine (Or some type of Mill) if you have not already. In this case because you already have the Sherline lathe, a logical choice would be a compatible Sherline Mill. If that were the case, then the chucks, MT Collets and WW collets would be inerchangeable with all Lathe and Mill Accessories.
While "ER" spindles are available in both the lathe and Mill, the collets are not designed to be interchangable with accessories. This makes shifting work pieces back and forth from the lathe and Mill far more difficult and less accurate.

Just some additional considerations.

In regard to the NAWCC school recommendations. I would suggest that you call the school rather than rely on second hand information.
717-684-8261 and ask for the school.
You may also want to consider a course or workshop since you are in PA.

Jerry Kieffer

jmtaylo3

NAWCC Member
Jul 17, 2007
Country
Region
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the advice. I would have to agree with you on getting what you pay for. In regards to contacting the school, I have called them several times in regards to the Sherline Lathe and have found them to be very helpful. I have taken several courses at the school but was unable to attend the lathe course so I have been learning on my own. The post about what the school recommends was as follows so I wasn't sure about if just having even sizes would work. One more thought, will any type of WW 8 collect work on the Sherline? The literature that Sherline provides says most will work. I wasn't sure about Mosely. I live very close to Merritt's and have access to second hand collets.

Thank You,
John Taylor

Quote: https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=39516&highlight=nawcc+lathe+bench

Hello Mr. Dazer,

I am just reacquainting myself with this message board when I came across your posting on Sherline collets.

As both a Sherline Dealer and Starrett Collet Dealer, I offer these comments: Sherline's 5-piece set is a nice starter set, but as you've found it does not cover all of your needs. A 21-piece set recommended by the NAWCC Lathe Bench Course includes sizes #10 to #50 in even numbered sizes (#10, #12, #14 etc). This set will meet most of your needs. Starrett used to make collets for Sherline, but I believe they make their own. Starrett collets have a light-case hardening, whereas Sherline collets are soft. Starrett collets are available in sizes #3-#80 with some 1/2-sized collets also available.

Starrett Collets are made by Tom Starrett & family in Algonquin IL. They are not to be confused with L.S. Starrett Co.

Plz let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Greg Booth
Antique Clockworks, Ltd.
Howard Miller Sales & Service
Sherline Products - Starrett WW Collets
Loretto, MN
www.AntiqueClockworksLtd.com
View attachment 4921

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
jmtaylo3;535195 said:
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the advice. I would have to agree with you on getting what you pay for. In regards to contacting the school, I have called them several times in regards to the Sherline Lathe and have found them to be very helpful. I have taken several courses at the school but was unable to attend the lathe course so I have been learning on my own. The post about what the school recommends was as follows so I wasn't sure about if just having even sizes would work. One more thought, will any type of WW 8 collect work on the Sherline? The literature that Sherline provides says most will work. I wasn't sure about Mosely. I live very close to Merritt's and have access to second hand collets.

Thank You,
John Taylor

John
If you purchase the Sherline 8MM adaptor, most WW/8MM collets will work. In addition, the Moseley collets with the 20 degree flat closing surface will work with a drawbar spacer since they are longer. In addition to that, it is fairly easy to grind an adaptor to except the Moseley collets with the curved closing surface. However its probably not worth the effort unless you have a complete set of these collets.

Jerry Kieffer

StephanG

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Country
Just wanted to add one more thing. The reason they didn't use ER collets on ww lathes is because when most of them were made the ER collett had not been invented. I do not believe accuracy will be a problem for what you want to do. Like anything else there are good ones and cheap ones and that goes for ww collets as well.
For the record I have both and I am not an agent or dealer for anything.

StephanG

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Country
I do not have a Sherline but normal practice is to make or obtain an adaptor to suit the machine at one end and the type of collet you have decided upon at the other. Sherline may have something to suit or something may be available from the people who sell the collets.
If you want to make your own you can obtain the closing rings ( the bit that clamps the collet ) seperately.

You can also get small ER collet holders with a long stem. I got one with 100mm by 8mm dia and ground it down to suit my Lorch tailstock. Works great and only cost me about $80 including the collets.

see here for additional information http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/ctctools/Page?template=faq

Last edited:

itbme1987

May 18, 2008
NY
Country
Region
Would a 8mm collet fit into a WW adaptor?

StephanG

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Country
No, Totally different way they work.

Check out this link. http://www.sherlineipd.com/spindles.htm

Interesting to note that Sherline themselves make a headstock available with ER16.

Please note I am not saying ER is better. But it should be plenty good enough for anything required of a Sherline and you don't need a set of 50 collets plus half sizes plus more for metric or imperial as the case may be.

Upon reflection you may find that an ER16 collet may be able to grab the parrallel section of a 6 or 8mm ww collet. This won't help you with using those collets but would allow you to use any other device with a solid spindle designed to fit a ww lathe like a 3 jaw chuck or a wax chuck. I haven't tried this but see no reason it would not work assuming the accessory in question was in good order. It may be slightly less rigid than using the accessory in the conventional way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Facemaster7
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller