Sherline Clock and Watchmaker Accessories on sale

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bruce Alexander, Nov 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just FYI, Sherline is offering a 20% discount off of their regular prices for "Clock and Watchmaker Accessories" during November. Unfortunately, "Excludes mills, lathes, collets, chucks, and rotary tables". Or Christmas might have come early for me. See: https://www.sherline.com/monthly-special/

Moderators, I hope this is allowed.
    If not, please quarantine or delete the post.
    Thanks
    Bruce

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well you could look at it this way, that's about $20 off the cost of a mill setup for bushing work. Or you could spend $80 for something that's totally useless without the mill, set it up where you can see it everyday to remind you that you really need to buy the mill "to protect your investment". I wonder why the sale? Perhaps a new model coming, or perhaps to clear inventory before discontinuing this product? Looks like they should give a larger discount if purchased with the mill and they might sell more of both.

RC

3. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, maybe it's a loss leader to get you to buy the Mill. If you've been thinking about some of the accessories though, you're in luck. I happened upon it while shopping collets. No joy there for me.

4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thank you for posting bruce. I wonder if I will ever get to the point in my life were I can justify the retail price of buying all of this equipment new?

I really would like to find a decent medium small lathe though. so far, the limits of my search have been relegated to looking for a "good" deal on craigslist.

Time After Time likes this.
  5. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    brian -

i went through two 'deal' lathes before popping for a sherline... essentially $300-ish/per to maybe $1k. worth every penny, even for us more casual users. i have now done things i couldn't even imagine doing before.

otoh, i do not have a milling machine and sometimes wish i did.

would you like me to explain to your wife? :cool:

bruce

brian fisher likes this.
  6. bytes2doc

bytes2doc Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 31, 2009
    Physician
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the pointer Bruce, I picked up a live center and the mill bushing gear.

7. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you get a Sherline lathe, get the long bed. You'll be a lot happier.

8. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wouldn't read too much into Sherline's 20% off sale.. They have a different 20% discount every month. I think it keeps people coming back to the website in the interest of seeing what the current sale is.

I have used the shorter bed Sherline for several years. I recently sat down in front of someone else's long bed Sherline and I did not like the longer reach to the leadscrew handwheel... it felt like I did not have the same comfortable control I have with the shorter reach. I am sure it is something that I would get used to but it felt strange at the time.

9. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also used to have the short bed. I kept finding that there was not enough room between the tail stock and head to do all the turning setups I needed. I also found that the cross slide was limited in size and travel limiting its use. Your reach for the lead screw handle is a habit and you will quickly get into the habit of reaching for the longer one. Also the cross slide bed is larger and has a greater movement across its axis. That allows more versital set ups and you can mount a rear parting block on the back of the table and leave it there for most operations.

10. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I second the advice. I was able to turn the armature commutator for a watchmaker's lathe motor with the long bed lathe.

11. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree totally. I have the long bed for our shop and as a Sherline dealer I recommend it. When purchased new the long bed version comes with a larger 3 jaw chuck and also larger Jacob’s chuck which are very useful. Those pretty much take care of the cost difference. My first lathe was a short bed one and I like the extra working space as well.

12. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My mentor used and recommended the shorter bed so that's what I went with although I was looking at the long bed. I haven't regretted my decision but I'm not turning posts for large Tall Case movements either. I guess it only makes sense that the long bed will do everything the short bed can do and then some.

13. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I don't want to jack your thread, but I have been looking at those Smithy 1220 lathe/mill combo machines. they seem to be of good quality. I've seen a few used ones in the 1200 dollar range. I don't know if the 3 jaw chuck can be removed to install collets on that model, but if it is possible, that would make it much more useful for our purposes.