• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Sherline 8.0mm Collet Tailstock Adaptors

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
Uh - why would anyone want to use an 8mm collet adapter in the headstock of a Peerless lathe that's made for 8mm collets? Head or tail seems sort of obvious.

I hope it's OK that I actually tried one of my Sherline collet adapters in the tailstock of my Peerless lathe instead of just guessing. No, it doesn't even come close. The minimum diameter of the adapter's taper is 11.35mm and the diameter of the runner in the tailstock is 7.65mm.

Collet holding tailstocks for a Peerless show up on eBay occasionally. Yeah, they're danged uncommon (perhaps actually rating as "Rare!" for realsies) but with patience and a willing wallet you can eventually score one.

Glen

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I would just like to know what it even looks like.
I've never been able to use my Peerless tailstock for anything yet!

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Do Hi, does anyone know if Sherline 8.0mm Collet Tailstock Adaptors fit on a vintage Marshall Peerless 8mm jeweler lathe? When I asked them they didnt know anything about my Peerless lathe.

Sherline WW Collet Tailstock Adaptor 2085 (for use with P/N 1203) | eBay

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry
As others mentioned it will not fit your Peerless Lathe.

While it could be Adapted/modified to work in your tailstock, I would not suggest it.

In the early days, I purchased many tools based on price that needed modifications to do what I wished to do.
To make a long story very short, none were ever capable of doing what needed to be done. The best decision I ever made, was to sell everything and only buy tools capable of doing what needed to be done.

Jerry Kieffer

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
I would just like to know what it even looks like.
I've never been able to use my Peerless tailstock for anything yet!
I wasn't clear about what you wanted to see, so here are some pictures.
tailstock2.jpg
I expect you know this one - the basic Peerless tailstock and its runner. I used it for turning between centers (like for making winding stems) before I got my Sherline.

adapter2.jpg
This is the Sherline collet adapter with one of my collets. FYI, the Peerless tailstock runner fits nicely inside the drawbar.

adapter1.jpg
This is what it looks like when it's together.

chts.jpg
Here's my Peerless collet-holding tailstock. Note that it has a micrometer adjustment. That drives the price up significantly, despite the fact that the danged micrometer is essentially useless for doing any sort of measurement. It'd be great if you're doing a backwards hole. Why do I care how far back something is? Bizarre. The drawbar is shorter than the headstock drawbar, and the collet goes in the left end (obviously).

Hope this helps. Happy hunting!

Glen

Reactions: Dave T

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Glen, That does help somewhat. All I have for the tailstock is what's shown here.
And I've never found any thing that will fit the runner. It is not threaded and I always wondered what the hole is in it, except to knock out whatever fits in it.
The only thing I've ever considered is a centering point which I don't have.
I do have these (center finder?) for the headstock, but never found a use for it.
peerless lathe in Wilmington4 after cleaning.jpg Peerless lathe center finder.jpg

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
The center point that's in your dead-center collet is the same one that goes into the runner. You can stick a 1/8" rod in the back end of the collet and drive the point out if you want to move it to your runner. I just used a bench block (the thick one with the holes in it) to support the mouth of my dead-center collet to make sure I wasn't lying to you; it took a couple of pretty good whacks to get it out. And yes, the hole in the runner is intended to help pop it back out when the time comes.

Glen

Reactions: Dave T

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Thanks Glen, I sure thought that was a one piece unit. You're absolutely right. It takes a couple of hard whacks, but it came out.

And I had the part I needed for all this time and didn't know it!
Thanks again!

Wimberleytech

Jan 27, 2022
Country
In Perkins book, he calls it a "tailstock chuck holder" On ebay, search "watchmaker lathe" and save that search. Sort it for most recent and then watch it every day. One will show up eventually.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Yea, I just found one. And they call it a one piece tailstock canon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseysomm
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-