Sherline 3 C collet lathe with collet closer

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Jim DuBois, Oct 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just a quick note on a new lathe. I had a job that required grinding and machining a couple of hundred small parts. So, last week I spent part of the family fortune at Sherline. Here is the result. The grinding attachment is no more than a Dremel tool on a flex shaft with a diamond wheel. The parts were completed in less than 8 hours. By the way, Sherline got the lathe to me in two days and it was in operation in less than an hour. I already had a fair number of 3C collets.

If I have any concerns about the Sherline it would be the headstock spindle may be a bit tight. I have some Hardinge collets that are too tight, so I need to find a way to open the spindle a tenth or two. Fortunately, I had collets in the sized needed that slipped in.

I mention the 3 Collet sizes and the lathes that use them as I find the larger sizes much better for a lot of the clockwork I do. I also have a Derbyshire A that uses them so this is a nice addition to the shop for some jobs.

20191018_090159 1.jpg

2. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Jim
    I am disappointed you did not get the Chucker Lathe.
    Chucker Lathe

I would love to hear a customer evaluation, especially by one that would give it to me when there job was complete.

Jerry Kieffer

3. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I sort of have one of their earlier chucker lathes here now, a recent purchase at a local NAWCC Mart. It was offered by Light Machines under the name Spectralight years ago. I have yet to get around to hooking up its controller to a PC. I plan to use MACH 3 to control it and have not gotten around to doing all that. I can see a marriage of this machine with the collet closer headstock at some time. Fortunately, all the parts fit between the two machines. The only real shortfall is the Spectralight does not have ballscrews, but it can be retrofitted like the Sherline chucker. In my spare time of course.

20191018_130325 1.jpg

4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    wow. good looking lathe. i never really pictured you as a sherline kind of guy. they definitely do make good stuff though. the more i play with cutting rotating metal, the more i see the value in them.

5. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Jim DuBois, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    At one time I had 3 Sherline lathes and two of their mills. I had them all set up to make wheels and pinions and went into business doing so for a few years. Shortly after getting the Sherline's all set up I discovered CNC wheel cutting and so the Sherline's all went away. I have taken in several since then in trade for work or other lathes but always sold them off as I had several modern Levin lathes and several Derbyshire lathes and mills. I seem to always be buying or selling tools, lathes, and mills in particular. My most recent good find was the fully equipped and accessorize Emco Maximat 11, which I have posted here a couple of months ago.

wheel cutter sherline.jpg Scan0080.JPG Scan0068.JPG 103-0384_IMG.JPG 20160106_082826.jpg derby 2.jpg IMG_1633.jpg prazi 1.jpg