Shell Oil watches from Fobs Thread

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Seeing the above watch made me think of the old Shell Oil watches, which leads to this watch and fob.

20180419_181835.jpg 20180419_181951.jpg 20180419_181437.jpg

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
View attachment 498756

View attachment 498755 that is a Shell watch. I didn’t know they made 17 jewel movements. As you can see mine is skeletonized.

The watch shown by Peter John in post 116 is the original circa 1940 version of the Shell Oil watch, using a unique A. Schild ebauche, skeletonized on the dial side (the upper or back is original AS design) and finished by Girard Perregaux.

The watch shown in post 115 by PatH appears to be a (perhaps much) later Shell Oil watch, using a Unitas ebauche (not skeletonized), with 17 jewels, perhaps finished by Clinton. I wish the movement photo were sharper so I could make out the markings and other movement details. I have never seen nor heard off this later version of the Shell Oil watch up to now, and it has really piqued my curiosity. By the way, the advertisement posted by Pat shows the original 1940 AS/GP version.

Maybe these posts should be split off into a separate thread so we can find out if ANYONE has ever seen the Unitas/Clinton (?) version, something that, IMHO, calls for further study! If PatH and Peter John agree, perhaps they can request that the moderator do so, maybe under the title: "Newly-discovered Shell Oil watch." Even though both versions use Swiss movements, I suspect that these watches are primarily of interest to American collectors.....though obviously I could be wrong.<];>)

Larry Treiman

Last edited:

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I have requested, Larry. Once it's done I will post a better picture of the movement of this watch as well as the movement of my other Clinton watch and some of the ads.

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
I too would like to know more about the later version. I was always under the impression that the AS1052 caliber was the only one made and about 30,000 total manufactured. All in 7 jewel. Mine is 9 jewel because the pallet fork bushings were worn. I installed 2 jewels instead of trying to rebush. An old watchmaker friend now long gone told me when he was in watchmaking school they would turn that caliber into 15 jewels as a class project. More info is always welcome. Peter

Last edited:
Reactions: musicguy

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
[EXCERPTED]The watch shown by Peter John in post 116 is the original circa 1940 version of the Shell Oil watch, using a unique A. Schild ebauche, skeletonized on the dial side (the upper or back is original AS design) and finished by Girard Perregaux.

The watch shown in post 115 by PatH appears to be a (perhaps much) later Shell Oil watch, using a Unitas ebauche (not skeletonized), with 17 jewels, perhaps finished by Clinton. I wish the movement photo were sharper so I could make out the markings and other movement details. I have never seen nor heard off this later version of the Shell Oil watch up to now, and it has really piqued my curiosity. By the way, the advertisement posted by Pat shows the original 1940 AS/GP version.

Larry Treiman
It is somewhat embarrassing to admit that I have apparently been leading a rather sheltered existence when it comes to these Shell Oil watches. A Google search earlier today for "Shell Oil pocket watch, 17 jewel, by Clinton" brought up two pages of hits, which could be expanded considerably by clicking to show omitted items. By adding "....on NAWCC site" I found more! I have now learned that the later 17-jewel version by Clinton, using the Unitas movement is from the 1970s, approximately three decades after the original GP/AS Shell Oil watch. The new version apparently was intended to promote Shell's being the first to earn a 10W-50 MULTI-GRADE rating, the widest range available for a multi-grade motor oil.

Larry Treiman

Last edited:

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
[pdf]499067[/pdf] [pdf]499068[/pdf] [pdf]499069[/pdf] That's ok, Larry - it's often good to revisit some of these topics. As promised, here are better pictures of the Clinton I had posted. Along with some ads.

Not sure what happened with the ads to show up with such big pictures.

20181021_122645.jpg 20181021_122830.jpg

Attachments

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
1940 Golden Shell Oil Lubricated watch (Golden Shell window watch)

A few months back I found one of these Shell Oil watches at a NAWCC mart for a few bucks.
It had two yellowed plastic crystals(that you couldn't see through), balance staff was broken,
needed new mainspring, pallet fork was bent, and a few other real problems.
A friend of mine who had all the parts on hand (and skills) needed fixed it up for me. He did it
for two broken watches(that I didn't want) and $100.00. It was well worth it to me.

When I got it back completed today at our chapter meeting I was literally blown away
at how great looking these are. You can literally see right through them.
You can even see the main spring everything is skeletonized .

I know it's just a 7 jewel watch but it's so much more.
Take 2 minutes and see Jerrys post above and read the article in the second image
They have a really great story!

Also see PatH's post #7 above

Untitlebbbbbd.png

The first photo of the dial side is closer to what it really looks like but there
is a lot of reflection in the photo the second is clearer but it makes it dull looking.

20190720_115137.jpg 20190720_115204.jpg 20190720_115326.jpg

[pdf]541378[/pdf]

I believe that Peter Johns watch above post #2 is in a replacement case and
has replacement hands as well. It's still a great looking watch.

Rob

Attachments

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Shame Exxon didn't do anything like that when I had my service station. It was the last era when attendants checked your oil, washed your windows, and put air in your tires, now you can't get the guy to come to the driver's s window, he expects you to roll down your passenger window and give him the credit card. The last promo we had was Days of Thunder cars for an 8 gallon Super fill up, shame I didn't save any of those .I think I gave most of them away to kids, they just didn't sell. Nice watches and only $9.50 and you only made $21 on a 50 gallon drum of oil. But then again, mufflers were only $3.95 and cheap tires were $15.

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
The case on mine is a 14kwgf Gruen Verithin hinged back with hinged dustcover. I had only the movement. No hands, stem, or crown. I married it all together years ago. I still have the Gruen movement as well. It has a broken staff. Peter

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
1939-1940 Girard Perregaux Golden Shell Oil Lubricated Watch.

Rob

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
untitlebbbbbd-png.png
They sold it as "Motor oil good enough for fine watches"
(except for the fact that Golden Shell Oil has no surface tension vs watch oil and does not work on watches);)

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
But I am very curious, were these watches actually lubricated with motor oil?
Or was it simply a marketing ploy?
There is some folklore about these but I have not seen
any real literature that would back up the claim stated below
or if they ever really had Golden Shell oil used in them.
I would assume they did use it until someone posts a document
showing otherwise(even though it was not suitable for the long term).

"they manufactured 30000 skeleton pocket watches about 19 Lignes, about 10s,
with a modest 7 jewels, .
"

Rob

Last edited:

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Rob,

I did see one of these at a NAWCC regional about 15-20 years ago and it was literally filled with oil and was running.

I don't know if someone cut some darker motor oil with lighter fluid, etc. but the case was not leaking and it was running with it nearly full of oil.

I would guess that the advertising was true. Who knows how long it lasted, but if caught in a lie it would do alot of harm to the company and I don't think they would risk all of the bad publicity and customers confidence.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Full of oil and running?
Someone was just having fun with it because the snap on bezels
do not seal that well and would absolutely leak and also do not have o rings
and the stem area is also not leak proof. Someone must have rigged it to
be filled with oil. The balance wheel would have real resistance
sloshing through the oil.

Rob

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
I am only reporting what I actually witnessed. You can speculate all year long, but it is a fact. No leaking oil and seemed to have regular amplitude.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I agree Jim(and I know you know what you saw) but in all the advertisements we have, none of them
show that they are filled with golden Shell oil which isn't really transparent(clear).
The advertisement says golden shell lubricated watch.

shell_a-jpg.jpg

Rob

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I have had on my watch list(for a very long time) an original first version of the circa 1940 Golden Shell Oil Pocket watch
Fob, and it also had to have it's original chain and clasps. As far as I understand there are only two versions
of the fob. I think they had to change it for legal reasons.

Golden Shell Oil

1) "This Watch Lubricated by"
2) "For today's precision-built Cars... So pure it lubricates this watch"

Here is the first version.

20210729_135850.jpg

20210729_135935.jpg

20210729_135843.jpg

Rob

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
I wish the movement photo were sharper so I could make out the markings and other movement details.
Unfortunately I haven't seen Larry post in a long time, but just wanted to say that this is an ebauche from Unitas of Tremelan, Switzerland as previously stated, and it's a calibre 6497. A 16.5 ligne movement widely used back then and today. Introduced in the early 1950's. Whoever finished it (Clinton?) added a different sort of shock protection than the ones I've seen before installed in these movements. It doesn't look like the normal incabloc.

Obviously I can't measure it, but there are two popular choices here for calibre from the 1970s. It's either the 18.5''' 6445, or the 16.5''' 6497 and it looks like the smaller of the two, to me. Especially with the case screw right at the tip of the bridge.

I think Shell is cheating here. Of course it will run full of shell oil. You can bury an uncased Unitas movement in mud... Remove it a week later and it will fire right up! :p

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I noticed in my post #9 in this thread that one of the images was missing.

Here is the missing photo, I like how it starts with, "Don't Quote me!"

EDIT IMAGE from PatH's post #7 above in this thread
Untitled.png

1627678166914.png

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I found this image on a completed ebay auction and asked
the ebay seller rare_stock101 if I could use their photo for reference. They said yes.
1939-Girard-Perregaux-Skeleton-Dial-Pocket-Watch.jpg

Rob

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Great information in the box lid. Thank you, Rob!

Reactions: musicguy