Shaving Dial Size?

Streetsnake

Feb 28, 2021
Country
Is it possible to successfully decrease the size of a dial? I have a Lemania 105 that has a dial of 29mm. I found an appropriate replacement but it's dial size is 31mm. There is a significant border around the 31mm dial that could be removed to decrease the size. Could this be done on a metal lathe? Does anyone do this kind of work?

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Turning the dial down from 31 to 29mm would be a walk in the park provided you have a way to mount it centered on a wax chuck. If the dial will fit you watch is probably the greater issue. You need to make sure that dial feet are in the right place and that any potential holes in the dials line up with any arbors poking through. Dials are often made caliber specific.

Regards
Karl

Streetsnake

Feb 28, 2021
Country
Turning the dial down from 31 to 29mm would be a walk in the park provided you have a way to mount it centered on a wax chuck. If the dial will fit you watch is probably the greater issue. You need to make sure that dial feet are in the right place and that any potential holes in the dials line up with any arbors poking through. Dials are often made caliber specific.

Regards
Karl
Hi Sir. Both dials I am looking at are virtually identical to the one I have now...just in much better condition. Now I think about it, my movement is a Lemania 1270 and the one I’m looking at is a 1275. where Would I look to determine if the feet are in the same spot? Any idea?

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Roland Ranfft's movement database has the most information on vintage movements that I know of but I can't remember it having this data on there. On the other hand, according to the information there, the 1270 is the same movement as the 1275 only 1275 has shock protection in the escapement. bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Lemania 1275

Bear in mind that the "significant border" could be the seat area for case and crystal and that removing the border could mean that you would be obscuring the periphery of the dial when it is finally in the case. A larger dial would likely mean a larger case. Possibly a case ring around the movement. Do you have photos of the dials in question? Do you have physical access to both?

K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre