Sharing recent art deco addition

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by mjstewart, Jun 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mjstewart

mjstewart Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Trying to share a few of my recent additions. I believe this to be JuF in the 1927-1934 range owing to the chrome plating and double elephant logo. Plate number 1260 variant?

IMG_0220(1).jpg IMG_0221(1).jpg IMG_0222(1).jpg IMG_0224(1).jpg

etmb61, victor miranda and PatH like this.
  2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful condition. I have no deco clocks in my collection (yet). I like the styles, but most I've seen were in poor shape.

Plate 1595.

The suspension bracket should be mounted between the plates with the screw heads visible from the back. It seems to me it would be more difficult to assemble with the screws between the plates, but it happens.

Eric

3. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Love the pendulum and the chrome. My favorite style. Wonder if someone put the bracket on when movement was disassembled and didn’t notice they’d flipped the plate. Then after assembly, didn’t want to take it apart to fix it and left it. Anyway, it’s a beautiful clock.

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
  5. mjstewart

NAWCC Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, I was so excited that it started running after putting it in beat that this detail escaped me.

6. mjstewart

NAWCC Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I like this Rhombic theme very much. thanks for sharing.

7. clksmyhobby

clksmyhobby Registered User

Jan 29, 2011
    I found found its twin at a thrift store in south central Florida a couple of weeks ago. It has a plain rear plate - no logo or stamped text at all. It was in pretty sorry shape (lots of scratches and mangled eccentric slot) but complete with what appears to be the original dome. It is now cleaned, lubed and running with about 270 degrees rotation and good over swing. Strange thing though: the minute hand hits against the dome at both the :15 and :45 positions. Gave it a little curl on the end and all is well. This is my second chromed clock, the other is a K&O, plate 1367, with diamond-shaped face plate - good condition except one small crack in the base plate. I like the chrome and art deco look.

8. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    clksmyhobby -

It would be nice to see pictures of your chromed clock!

Kurt

9. clksmyhobby

Jan 29, 2011
    In work after I clear a camera malfunction.

10. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great looking 400 day clock. Very nice find.

11. clksmyhobby

Jan 29, 2011
    Some quick snaps. I need to read my posts - back plate of Juf has no logo but does have JAHRESUHRENFABRIK G.M.B.H GERMANY. Face is poor shape and bottom block was missing (temp installed for check out).

Juf back.JPG JuF front.JPG Juf Side.JPG KO chrome front.JPG KO chrome side.JPG

Wayne A likes this.
  12. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice...those square pendulum weights and square columns really help to catch and scatter the light.

Kurt

13. clksmyhobby

Jan 29, 2011
    You're right. Like a bunch of mirrors in motion.

for mjstewart: The vertical columns on my clock were cracked from over tightened screws. I put some JB Weld epoxy inside and that seems to work. I'm curious to know if yours had the same defect.

14. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 John Hubby, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    clksmyhobby, your clock with the blank plate would have been made between 1932 and 1939 based on my extensive database of JUF clocks. This particular dial design seems to have only appeared in the late 1920s and then continued to beginning of WW2.

My data also show that your octagonal dial clock stamped with JAHRESUHRENFABRIK G.m.b.H. GERMANY was made between 1928 and 1931. I've not found any logo stamps at all on clocks made from 1932-1939.

15. clksmyhobby

Jan 29, 2011
    Thank you, John. My first post was in error about the totally blank rear plate. I meant to say it had no logo, only the stamped JAHRESUHRENFABRIK G.m.b.H. GERMANY. Interesting clock design that caught my attention for purchase primarily because of its chrome finish.