• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Share your advertising clocks.

RAK

NAWCC Member
Jun 22, 2004
Beautiful State of Virginia
Country
Region
Thanks to everyone for bringing back my favorite thread!

Quite a range of new additions to the topic. Very nice.

Bob

Reactions: PatH

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Thanks to everyone for bringing back my favorite thread!

Quite a range of new additions to the topic. Very nice.

Bob
Here's a couple more.

I like the light up advertising clocks, too.

Here are a couple in my downstairs 1/2 bath:

bulova and hart schaffner and marx clocks.JPG

The first is for Bulova. Scott Jewelers were in Lowell, MA, not too far from the clocks current location. It is not a Pam clock, though rather similar. Could not find a maker's mark. Based upon a shadow, I do believe it once had a stick on maker's tag. I think 50's or '60's. Very nice condition. Works well.

The 2nd one is for the men's clothing maker, Hart, Schaffner and Marx. The golden trumpeter on the horse was their logo apparently. I had not seen this style of clock before. High quality with the back made from heavy gauge enameled steel rather than a thin aluminum. Really like that burgundy dial background color. Could not find a maker's mark. Also works well. Very nice condition. To me, the style of the frame looks '40's or '50's. That was a time when this brand was considered top quality and they produced some real snazzy print ads showing classy "mature" men being ogled by the women!

Both clocks were flea market finds.

I use small LED bulbs as they don't get as hot as regular incandescent ones. The heat damages the advertising.

RM

Reactions: RAK

heirloomclocks

Nov 21, 2005
Hello All,
I thought to list this clock under the maker postings but there did not seem to be a Winterhalder and Hofmeier option so I decided to list it under the Advertising choice. My Winterhalder and Hofmeier timepiece advertizes Nestle products. The overall case is 12 inches in diameter with a 9 inch chapter ring dial which I believe is original. I have researched W and H clocks in the round wall clock style and have not found one with these dimensions. Larger diameter cases were found with other ads and railroad dials but I did not find another in any size that had a Nestle's advertisement. If anyone has seen this size W and H clock or any with Nestle advertising I would welcome an email at: carl@heirloomclocks.net
Thank you in advance for any posting or email.
Cordially,
Carl

Collection W and H Nestle's Advertising 2.JPG

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
The Nestles clock.................. now I know who outbid me :)) and nice to know it's going to a good home!
Bruce

heirloomclocks

Nov 21, 2005
Hello All,
About 40 years ago I developed an interest antique clocks (the furniture I had been buying started to get too heavy and needed too much work to prepare for resale). Soon friends and co-workers started to bring me their clocks when they learned I could repair, clean and service them. Before I knew it I was in the clock business as Heirloom Clocks.
The attachments show two that I decided to make into advertisers for my business by creating the designs on the glasses in the style used in the early 20th century. Both clocks are over 100 years old and function properly.
The black one is a spring driven Seth Thomas Eight Day Timepiece similar to Office No. 6 without the top and bottom case pieces. (Tran's Seth Thomas book indicates it was available without the top if a plainer case was desired...I assume the bottom could be excluded as well.)
The second attachment shows an Imperial Electric Timepiece, originally operated by two No. 6 Dry Cells to produce the power necessary to raise the weight arm that drives the movement. I converted to D cells to produce a less expensive alternative to the now expensive No. 6 cells. The falling weight is the real source of power for the movement, so the batteries last a long time, being only needed momentarily to impulse the weight back up to its highest position.
Cordially,
Carl

P.S. I apologize...I forgot to include the attachment for the Imperial Timepiece in my earlier posting

Collection Business Advertising 1.JPG Collection Business Advertising 2.JPG

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Well, this advertising clock is not nearly as nice as the one RAK recently posted. However, it does tie in to some interesting history.

What I have been told, and I have not fact checked it so please feel free to do so, is that beer is now pasteurized. This allows it to "travel" and gives it a shelf life. In the old days, that was not. So also given the general lack of refrigeration, no trucking, bad roads and so on, beer had to be either made at home or close to home. That's what I have been told.

SO, many cities and regions had their local beers. I remember when much younger growing up in NYC, there were 3 local brands. Piels, Rheingold and Knickerbocker. By the way, I don't like beer and never drank any of them.

In a fit of nostalgia, I made this TRULY junk shop find in my travels and just had to have it. It's an electric Knickerbocker advertising wall clock:

knickerbocker clock 1.JPG

Works great.

Look at that expression! He sure do like his brewsky. The character comes from Washington Irving's 1809 novel, A History of New-York from the Beginning of the World to the End of the Dutch Dynasty, by Diedrich Knickerbocker. He came to symbolize NYC. People from Manhattan were called "knickerbockers". I guess sort of like Uncle Sam did for the US. And now you know how the basketball team got its name, too.

The image is printed on cardboard. It is not transferred to the back of a glass. Here's the absolutely completely original back of the clock and the movement:

knickerbocker clock 3.JPG knickerbocker clock 4.JPG

No maker's name. This is on the lower edge of the dial:

knickerbocker clock 2.JPG

This clock was NEVER made to light up. There is a light up version with the same image. I dare say that the latter is more desirable.

Note the name Jacob Ruppert. I date this clock to the '50's or '60's. He died in 1939. He owned the Knickerbocker Brewery which as best I can tell went away in 1965. And what else?

He owned the NY Yankees during their absolute Golden Age, doing things like buying Babe Ruth's contract from the Boston Red Sox and building Yankee Stadium. Ironically, "Knick" would become the official beer of the NY Giants. Go figure.

So much history from a junky (but fun and nostalgic) clock.

RM

Reactions: RAK and PatH

woodlawndon

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2017
Woodlawn, Ontario
Country
Region
There are some interesting, beautiful clocks in this thread. RM, I really like the Knickerbocker clock and especially the Bulova Scott shown earlier. I have been passively on the hunt for an electric advertising clock for a bit now as I don't own any. I have passed on a few as my hope is to find a brewery/beer clock first. Not too many come around.
Don

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
There are some interesting, beautiful clocks in this thread. RM, I really like the Knickerbocker clock and especially the Bulova Scott shown earlier. I have been passively on the hunt for an electric advertising clock for a bit now as I don't own any. I have passed on a few as my hope is to find a brewery/beer clock first. Not too many come around.
Don
Thanks for your kind comments.

I love them too! I especially like the ones with back lit dials. Depending upon subject matter, they can be rather pricey!

For me, condition is paramount. With the back lit models, the advertising may be damaged. Sometimes it’s just flaking or damaged from the heat of the incandescent bulbs used. Often too high a wattage was used. I use small LED bulbs to avoid that.

I test them before purchase to make sure they work & light up properly. Lots have problems with wiring or the motor coils. I don’t want to be bothered with those types of repairs. I also check that the plug & cord are good.

Also, no cracks or breaks in the clear glass & especially the advertising glass. The former is less problematic as good repop clear glass covers are available. Once I bought a Pam clock for the ice cream of a defunct local N. Shore creamery. Replaced the glass. Looked great. Still sold instantly to someone who lived in that town.

And of course, the biggest proviso: beware of repops & fakes. There are real good repop advertising glasses! People buy damaged clocks & install them. Also, the neons are being reproduced. I’ve seen a few Harley neons.

Yes, the neons, the ultimate light up. Great clocks, but expensive to acquire, expensive to repair, etc.

This genre of clocks are a side line for me, so I take the decidedly cheapskate approach.

RM

Reactions: woodlawndon

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
A reasonable book about advertising clocks is Bruner, Advertising Clocks: America's Timeless Heritage. Like most Schiffer books, lots of pix, not a lot of text. I also wish that pix of the back of the clocks were included. Still a nice reference.

Of course, Jerry Maltz's book about Bairds is a must have for any horological library.

RM

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Does this qualify as and advertising clock? It came from the Glen Leven Presbyterian Church in Nashville, TN.
Seth Thomas #2 Glen Leven Presb Church Nashville.jpg

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Does this qualify as and advertising clock? It came from the Glen Leven Presbyterian Church in Nashville, TN.
View attachment 625668
Very nice clock. I guess not really an advertising clock per se. A clock with a custom inscription on the dial? I have seen any # of clocks with inscriptions on the dial like that. Some have the name of an institution, a business, the donor(s), in whose honor it was donated, thanking someone for their service and so on.

Finally, I don't think He ever really needed to advertise?

RM

owen.or

NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Near Portland, Oregon
Country
Region
This is an update to the restoration of the "Monell's Teething Cordil" clock shown in post #171 of this thread. I found the bezels separately and matched them to a case I acquired. The clock looked fine, but this model is one of the few Baird clocks which is pictured in Jerry Maltz's book with the "Magoo" bow tie between the bezels. The bow tie on each side looks like the profile of Mr. Magoo the cartoon character. Out of the blue I found a case with the Magoo bow tie and transferred the teething cordial bezels to that case. Needless to say, I feel pretty lucky to have found that case. David, Owen.or

DSCN1226.jpg

RAK

NAWCC Member
Jun 22, 2004
Beautiful State of Virginia
Country
Region
Nice work David. Your Baird collection has seen some great additions over the years!!! Still jealous over the tin Chamberlin Cigars clock. Saw the one that Jerry Maltz had owned at the Fontaine auction in 2018, but was out of $ by the time it was offered, lol.

owen.or

NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Near Portland, Oregon
Country
Region
Bob, Thanks for the kind words. Thank goodness for Ed Beacham in Sisters, OR who created a new great wheel for the Chamberlain Cigars clock. David, Owen.or

Chamberlain.jpg

• Love

wspohn

Feb 3, 2020
www.rhodo.citymax.com
Country
Region
This is a Girard Perregaux shop clock that is of better quality than many advertising clocks are - very solidly built. It is a slave clock and once I figured out where to locate a driver pack for it, it keep excellent time in my kitchen.
GP.JPG

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccamisa
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions