Share your advertising clocks.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by owen.or, Jul 26, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Time-Saver

Time-Saver Registered User
    NAWCC Member

I recently picked up this Baird double dial clock at a local 1-day auction. The only similar clock I have ever seen was the model advertising Cigars and was meant to sit on the counter of a business. The dials on this one say "Leased from the Baird Clock Co, Plattsburgh, NY". It has a complete lable on the inside of the front of the case that shows the directions for mounting it on the wall in front of a business, including methods based on building material (brick, steel, wood). It also says the clock is leased to you under special contrac, and remains the property of the Baird Clock Co, Plattsburg, NY. Notice the missing (h) in Plattsburgh that was one the dial. The lable printer was from Chicago, so I'm not sure if this was made in NY, and leased to a business in Chicago once Baird moved. It has a ST #60 double time spring movement in it. Has anyone ever seen one like this before? I don't have access to either of the books on Baird clocks (not something I normally collect, but couldn't resist this one).

210_Label.JPG 210_Main1.JPG 210_Misc4.JPG

You can see the full description of this clock on my website :http://clocknuts.com/210T0612.htm

JD

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Gee, wish the pics were clearer, especially of the "labels". I did go to your web site, too.

Something doesn't compute here. The clock pictured on the "label" looks more like it would be a larger metal clock, sort of like the McClintock advertising clocks, which would make sense in terms of size and weather resistance to mount on the outside of a building?

Notice the "ads" are generic. A saleman's sample? A clever put together?

I don't have access to Jerry Maltz's book right now. He would be a good one to contact about something like this.

Love to hear what the Baird cognescenti have to say.

RM

3. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Time Saver;

Very nice example of this uncommon clock. Please see posting #103 for my copy of the same clock. My copy differs in a couple of simple ways.

1). The instructions inside are for the most part the same except that the label you have in the inside of the door is not there on my clock.

2). Second.. the cutting for the wall mounted diagram shows the clock with advertisings for F.R. Rice's TRUTH CIGARS, etc. as part of that etching.

3). Third that same diagram shows the outside edge of the clock if wall mounted, to have the word "TRUTH" painted on it.

4). There is one very old glass panel with graniteware or porcelain white raised lettering glued to the exterior. The rest of the panels are old wavy glass but the opposite side top glass has plastic replacement letters that were obviously done recently during restoration. The bottom panels are old wavy glass with newly reverse painted lettering. I have no way of knowing if this is an accurate restoration of the bottom panels or it they should have been done with the ceramic lettering as well. That will only get answered if someone turns up a complete copy of a "TRUTH CIGAR" advertiser.

I talked with Jerry Maltz at the National last year and he had just had one of these restored including the top and bottom "add-ons". His had original tin advertisement panels for BUFFO CIGARS. As I recall, they needed some restoring as well but looked exactly like the ones in the older book on Baird clocks (not Jerry's - I don't believe he owned one of these at the time of his book). I've seen very few of these for sale (a couple of project clocks on eBay) or at auction (only the one I picked up) and yours appears to either be restored nicely or in really great shape.

As an aside, as I recall, Jerry's had the same labeling on the inside that your's has.

So... some questions.

1). Both front and back doors are on hinges. Is that a key in the front door to hold it closed? Or is it a latch devise built into the clock? My clock is missing this if it is...

2). On the back door, it appears that there are two round head screws holding that door shut. Is that right? Once again, my clock is missing these if that is the case.

3). Is the finish on your clock original? My clock has that lighter oak color too and it was listed as original when I purchased it, but the shellac had been stripped off and just the stain remains. If that is the right shade, I could do like you suggest and put a nice coat of wax on it and buff it out and it would look pretty good.

4). Last. I noticed that the front minute hand has a counterweight and the back does not... When I bought my clock, it was set up the same way. I switched the hands around because I display mine with the back (without winding holes) showing. This is because the dial paper on my clock on the side with the winding holes is in terrible shape. I had always thought that both sides would have had the counterweighted minute hand and that my clock just had a broken one on the winding side. If you think yours look original I'd like to know, I'll have to swap them back around.

Anyway, a really good find at an auction and thanks for sharing it with us. Bob

4. Time-Saver

NAWCC Member

Thank you both for your comments.

RM..This clock does appear to be the same as depicted in the label, although missing the bonnet and bottom accent pieces. There is evidence on both the top and bottom of the case that the angle iron brackets were mounted on this clock, as well as both accent pieces. I do find it unusual that there is no mention on the label to protect the clock from the elements. I would imagine that they would have mounted it under some sort of awning.

Bob..The front door does have a functional locking mechanisim, the back door is also on hinges, and as you suspected is held closed with 2 screws. There is no evidence that it ever had a locking mechanisim on it. I suspect the case has been refinished, although whoever did it, did a very nice job. It appears the hands are original, not sure why they used a counter balance on the front only, but now with 2 clocks with this setup, I suspect it may be correct.

Again thanks for the coments, I apprieciate it.

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Time-Saver and RAK:

Thanks for the information!! Learn something new every day.

I wonder if it was meant as to be hung indoors as it was made of wood?

RM

6. Time-Saver

NAWCC Member

That would sure make sense to me...but dang if the picture on the label doesn't look like it is mounted to the outside of a building. The instructions for mounting also makes me think they were talking about mounting to the outside. If I were leasing the clock to a business (as Baird apparently did), I'd be dipped in oil before letting the customer mount it outside...since I would be the one responsible for the maintenance! Oh to go back in time just for a few hours....if I figure out how to do it..I'll report back on my findings :)

JD

7. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well we haven't had a new advertising clock added to the thread in a long time so I dusted off a couple photos of my copy of the Geo. O. Mulford - CREAM MUSTARD clock. Actually a timepiece as it is only eight-day and has no strike feature. I didn't post this one before, since David had already posted his copy, but since this thread has been quite for a while... Anyway, these clocks are dated to the early 1870s or late 1860s based on the label which gives the company name as ANSONIA BRASS AND COPPER CO. Basically a stock clock case with a replacement dial paper, and although my copy does not have it, some of the ones that I've seen over the years have a lower window that has the lettering of GEO. O. MULFORD, NEW YORK painted in it.

Of interest to me is that in the last year or so two of these clocks - same case, same dial paper, where listed on E-Bay, but the movements and labels were New Haven. The artwork in the lower window looks very different - probably a decal, but were both identical so one can take away from that that these lower glasses were probably original to those clocks. The wording was the same: GEO. O. MULFORD, NEW YORK. Based on two different movements, and different artwork in the lower window (possibly several different styles as the glass in my clock's lower window is really old and wavy) I would suggest that these were made in a number of different batches spanning months, or more likely years?

I would guess I've seen about 10-12 of them (if you count both Ansonia and New Haven copies) in the last dozen years or so. That being said, I would rank it as an uncommon, but not rare clock. It is however one of the very very earliest advertising clocks that I am aware of. Bob

Attached Files:

8. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sessions No 2 Regulator.jpg

This is a Sessions No 2 Regulator. It advertises Calumet Baking Power. Here is what I know:

1. This regulator appeared in the Sessions Catalog from 1912-1930. The dial, the movement, and the labels all say, ‘Sessions Clock Co., Forestville, Conn., USA”
    2. Calumet Baking Powder Company was an American food company established in 1889 inChicago, Illinois, by baking powder salesman William Monroe Wright.
    3. In 1929, William Wright sold out to General Foods and Calumet Baking Powder became one of its many name brands. Wright, a fan of horse racing, would use his wealth to build what would become a world-renowned breeding and training operation in Lexington, Kentucky, which he named Calumet Farms.

Because I live in Kentucky, this is a very cool clock. Besides the clues that I have, is there anything else that would help me better identify when this clock was made?

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Interesting clock. A look at the movement might prove instructive. Ansonia Brass & Copper (1869-77) did not, IIRC, make their own movements, and this one, from the position of the winding arbor, might be thought to have a New Haven movement.

10. Larry

Larry Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Male
    engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is an a Louisville, Ky advertising clock from Tafel's jewelry Store. I refinished the case and added the drop. The clock had apparently been designed to fit into the wall.

Larry Attachment0.jpg PC030005.jpg

11. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Larry, your R.G. TAFEL Jeweler clock really turned out!!! The refinishing looks great and the advertising glass is something else. Is that sliver paint or silver leaf for the lettering? Also, if you have a chance to check, could you tell us how tall this clock is? It look huge. Bob

12. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #162 RAK, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    Steven,

Regarding the CREAM MUSTARD clock, your idea of it being a New Haven movement for all versions got me interested so I took off the dial and shot a few photos of the one I own. Perhaps someone will recognize it as a New Haven, it is similar, but not the same as the movement in the example with the New Haven label that I saw.

Ansonia-Mustard-Movement2.jpg

The New Haven Movement is seen here...

Mustard-NewHavenMovement.png

Also worth noting is the transition of hands used on this clock....

Ansonia:

Ansonia-Mustard-PendulumHands2.jpg

Also Used on Ansonia:

AnsoniaCreamMustard12Hands.jpg

Lastly, used on clock with New Haven label/movement:

Mustard-NewHaven5-2011-10-Hands.png

I have seen enough of these clocks to believe that the two versions listed above as Ansonia are most likely factory original to those clocks. I have seen the two New Haven clocks but do not recall if both had the same hands or not so use this information for what it's worth. I didn't get a chance to photograph the other.

As far as the lower glass goes, my copy has the following:

AnsoniaBrass-CreamMustard99.jpg

Others Ansonias have:

Mustard 2012-99.jpg

And the New Haven has:

Mustard-NewHaven99.png

Well that's all I know about these old Advertising Clocks. Hope if you ever get a chance (and a desire) to buy one, this has been helpful. Bob

13. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for posting the comparison of movements, Bob. I agree that the Ansonia movement is not by New Haven, at least it's not one I recognize. It looks familiar, nonetheless, but I can't recall where or whose, unfortunately.

14. david.sams

david.sams New Member

Aug 13, 2013
    DSC_0070.jpg I am new to this forum and just wanted to share my Baird advertising clock. I am still using it to keep time in my home. Thanks to you all for making this forum possible. I enjoy looking at the other clocks.

15. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    david.sams,
    Welcome to the message board! Thank you for sharing your beautiful Baird advertising clock. FYI: Jerry Maltz lists it in his book as c. 1893.It has the original hands, dial, and pendulum. The finish looks old and original to me. It's a fine example. David, owen.or

16. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Welcome!!

Nice Baird. I own the same clock.

As Owen indicated, there's a wonderful book about Baird clocks written by Jerry Maltz. I'm sure it's available on line.

He also wrote an article about them for the NAWCC Bulletin. A benefit of NAWCC membership is the ability to search and access past issues. So, if you haven't yet joined, please give it your consideration.

Thanks for sharing your very nice clock, well technically, it's a time piece as it doesn't strike.

RM

17. Clock Man

Clock Man Registered User

Jul 6, 2010
    The so called "Atomic" RCA Tubes clock

Attached Files:

18. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Sponsor Donor

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice ad clock. I collected radios for many years. Never saw that'n. Congrats~

19. Clock Man

Clock Man Registered User

Jul 6, 2010
    Yes, Thank you.......uncommon especially because the electron "orbits" are very fragile and mostly found cracked, broken-off, or missing. Mine has a little paint missing, otherwise intact.

Dates from the early to mid 1950's.

20. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well it's time to post another antique advertising clock. This one is for Altes Lager Beer of the Tivoli Brewing Company. Very reminiscent, and probably from the same time frame as the Ever-Ready Safety Razor "shaving man" clocks. Interestingly, in this case the pendulum is shaped like a bottle. The hands on this example are painted a light (bottle?) green using the same paint as on the pendulum. Not much more to say other than I sold it on e-bay a half a year ago and to my surprise while searching the internet I found a second one just like it for sale in an auction. What are te chances? I guess, one last thing. This is the gallery version and there is a full version as well. I have only see these two galley clocks for sale and have only seen the full version in a photo in a book on Advertising clocks by Michael Brunner.

Cheers,

Bob

clock01-front.jpg clock02-front1.jpg clock07-back.jpg clock12-P1.jpg clock13-P2.jpg

21. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had been looking but hadn't found a Baird advertising clock in a couple of years. Then suddenly I found one and put two more together. I purchased a broken "Vanner and Prest's" top door a while back, had it repaired, and stored it away. Recently I purchased a case which had no advertising doors. Apparently the clock had fallen, and it was restored using no top door and a plain replacement square door for the lower round advertising door. This was likely done prior to 1910 because the door hinges are secured with square nails. I attached my top door and hope some day to find a lower door, too. For now it looks fine. I also acquired a matched set of advertising doors for a "Monell's Teething Cordial" clock, a rare find. They had long ago been painted with white enamel, and I debated whether to return them to the original maroon. I decided to leave them alone. Because the letters had also been painted white, I decided to highlight them in gold. I think it turned out okay. I attached them to the one remaining spare case I had in my parts stack, and clock #2 was complete. The third clock advertises an English company "Walkden's Inks" and shows the pendulum and un-grooved dial pan used with many of the clocks which were shipped to England. It was dirty and had been laying around unused for many years. I know this because the hanging bracket was missing. The letter embossing is strong and the case and doors retain the original maroon paint. It's a very good example. David, Owen.or

Attached Files:

22. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    #172 Steven Thornberry, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    Nice clocks, David. The Monell's Teething Cordial is interesting; I could have used some of that stuff a few years back.:whistle: I also like the Walkden's Inks because I have a small inkwell collection. All in all, some unusual advertising.

23. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Very nice.

Love them Bairds.

RM

24. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is another Baird clock I just added to my collection. It advertises "Diamond Black Leather Oil", a product sold by The Globe Oil Company of Cleveland. This is one of the few companies whose advertising shows up on the papier mache Plattsburgh style clocks and on the ebmossed tin dials of the Chicago style Baird clocks. David, Owen.or

Attached Files:

25. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I went back and looked at some of the wonderful clocks that have been posted to this thread. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I hope there are even more out there that can be added. I also noticed that there are two other examples of the "Diamond Black Leather Oil" Baird clock included in earlier posts. One is in post #107. The other is in post #164. Great clocks! David, Owen.or

26. bonniescot

bonniescot New Member

Aug 11, 2014
    i have a cream mustard clock almost identical to yours with the exception of the graphics(reversed painting black with gold fillibrei) on the bottom door are more elaborate,the clock is 100% original and untouched,including both pieces of glass,hand painted dial (patina) unpolished brass and original latch on top door.original ansonia marked movement and label behind pendulum.bottom door latch round pull almost black patina,original finish on fancy grained walnut veneer perfect,w/ deep red color.
    clock is stunning for condition and keeps time well.
    what is your opinion on this type of clock?
    sorry i don't have pics
    scot

27. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User
    Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    baker b1.jpg I posted this clock some years back and it is still running strong and for 7 days +- . I can readily see how one can be hooked on collecting advertising clocks.
    Bruce

28. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scot, Welcome to the message board. Sounds as if you have a great clock. I am not surprised that your clock has a different glass from mine. Ansonia likely used more than one glass design in these clocks. Mine is missing the carved pieces that adorned the side of the clock where the drop meets the octagon. Does your clock have those carved pieces? If you can acquire pictures, the thread at the top of the "clocks general" page will guide you through the process of posting them into this thread. Check out postings #157 and #162 of this thread for more information about these clocks. It's a very early advertising clock. According to one book I own, "Mom and Pop Stores" by Richard A. Penn, this clock is the "earliest known example of mass produced American advertising clock, (ordered by George W. Mulford), Ansonia Brass and Copper Co., c. 1871,...." Thanks again for sharing the description of your advertising clock.

Bruce, Thanks for sharing your clock with the coconut advertising. David, Owen.or

29. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ron, your Bulova Clock is actually a clock Bulova produced in the 20's/30's.
    I have several, and are all still running.

30. Bruce Barnes

Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Owen, a very impressive collection of Baird's clocks one of my regrets was not buying the Toledo Blade Newspaper clock from Jerry Maltz when he had it. Toledo Ohio is my hometown and I should have made the purchase......................"of all the sad words of mouth and pen...............":(
    Bruce

31. bonniescot

bonniescot New Member

Aug 11, 2014
    thank you david,
    sorry it took so long to get back,yes my clock has the carvings you refer to.the case is in excellent condition,never having been refinished or cleaned.while i have acquired many clocks this is the first good one that i got.bought from a friend in ohi ca. many
    years ago,(i met him at the winter firearms show in las vegas) he only had the best clocks (his favorites were vienna regulators).he taught me to look for originality and mint condition and his home (i still have photos) had some of the finest clocks i have seen to date. i still have to purchase a good camera to put photos on the internet.as soon as i get one i will post pics.i know you will like this one!
    scot

32. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scot, We all look forward to seeing the pictures. Again, welcome. David, Owen.or

33. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well it's been a while since I added a clock... and you all can decide if I have or haven't. I like to think "it has promise".

This is/was a window hanger that advertised LEWIS "66" RYE. It's plate glass with glue chipped letters highlighted in sliver and gold. Looks as though it was done much like backing a mirror (I think it is referred to as angel gilding). This one looks like the backing paint has been redone or re-backed. The chain is broken but of course the REAL problem is that the movement has been removed completely. I own a similar one that I posted on this thread a couple years ago. I think this one is not a old as the other, but they may have used a similar movement. Anyone know what I could used as a stand in?

BTW, another window hanger much like this and my other one, advertising Lewis "66" Rye was for sale a year ago at a James D. Julia auction. That one had a black center and the surrounding area with the LEWIS 66 RYE wording was backed in bright red. Between the two I own and the one that Julia sold, none of them used the same exact lettering pattern. I'm guessing they must have made several runs of these clocks.

Bob

Lewis66Rye-1 eBay2014-09-14.png

Attached Files:

34. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well it is time to revive an old thread with an old clock... I have no way of knowing how old but guess the 1880's-90's. Just a guess.

As you can see it advertises John Wanamaker Clothing at the Philadelphia Chestnut Street location. The lettering is in Gold Leaf and it had a black background which has mostly flaked off so there is a black piece backing the lettering now. I personally haven't seen any other examples but another member who I showed it to had seen one some years back. I liked it because it is a real figure eight clock and very few all wood figure eight advertising clocks seem to be out there. It has an Ingraham movement and to me it looks a lot like their figure eight calendar with that larger lower window used to advertise in. There is a great, but crumbling, label on the inside that says WANAMAKER which I forgot to photograph. If anyone recognized the model (if it is a standard model), it sure would be nice to know.

Gold Leaf is hard for me to photograph so forgive the awful pictures. I included one with flash and one without (really orange - don't know why). As bad as the orange color is on the one without the flash, made it easier to read.

It is said on Wikipedia that John Wanamaker invented the price tag. It's hard to imagine the world without them. :chuckling:

[​IMG][​IMG]

35. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Robert, the model is the Reflector, 1880's, early 1890's perhaps. I've seen information that the Reflector was offered from 1877-1881, but Tran shows one from the 1896 catalogue, as well as one from ca. 1881 with a 24-hour dial.

36. Robert Ling

Robert Ling Registered User
    Donor

Apr 17, 2002
    Self employed..contractor.
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Super looking advertising clock. The Gold leaf looks excellent.

37. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Robert!

There is something special about gold leaf on that old wavy glass.

I don't know if you noticed but "back in the day" it seems these folks were very fussy about their punctuation. JOHN WANAMAKER, (comma). And along the bottom where the two Wanamaker names are added; they both have periods after the name. I've seen the same care to add punctuation on a number of the older advertising clocks.

Bob

38. Robert Ling

Donor

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for pointing that out, it is interesting. A little window into a different time.

39. Timetraveler44

Timetraveler44 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 25, 2007
    I posted this in the Recent Acquisitions section a few days ago, but thought I should post it here, too. I recently picked up this NH advertising store regulator that has both a good lower glass (not a repo, I think) and a very unique Dr. Pepper advertising dial. While I've had two Stripling clocks before and sold them, I've never seen a Dr. Pepper dial with "The Texas Drink for Texans" byline on it, and cannot find any reference to it. Have any of you? Dr. Pepper did start as a Texas drink, but I think these dials were likely printed as a special request by a Texas seller. (My guess.) While there must have been more than one, this is the only one I've seen or heard of in any form - sign, dial or otherwise. I'm not finished researching it, and any insights would be appreciated. I'm a 40 yr. member of the NAWCC from the Houston area. Brian
    [​IMG][​IMG]

40. Bruce Barnes

Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    Extra nice RAK, if it gets weary from hanging on your wall I have some space for it !! :))
    Bruce

41. Robert Ling

Donor

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Timetraveler, Very nice looking advertising clock. Like you said, research it. The drug store, etc.

42. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Steve,

I took a look at a couple of Ingraham REFLECTOR clocks online and think this is the certainly the general basis for the Wanamaker Adv. clock.

One thing that stands out for me that is different is that advertising clock uses cheaper hinges than the REFLECTOR clocks I have now seen. Certainly a cost saving adjustment. I wish the advertising clock had the heavier duty hinges as I worry that the doors of this adv. clock will fall off someday with only those cheap little hinges holding the doors in place.

The second thing of interest is that the advertising clock's bottom door is actually larger than the top door and it looks like the REFLECTOR is the other way around making me think they may have made some minor adjustment to the stock REFLECTOR to get the bottom window sized the way they wanted it.

Alternatively, it may be that in a different year REFLECTORS had these subtle differences. At first look, I thought it was an exact match because they are so close.

Thanks for the research! Bob

43. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for pointing out the hinges, Bob. I guess I saw what I expected to see and missed the difference. Yep, the heavy duty hinges are a plus. I have them on my Reflector, and they really seem necessary for such a large wooden sash. The ones on your clock seem closer in size to what I have on my Ionic and Dew Drop.

44. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    EARLY SIDNEY ADVERTISING CLOCK

Well it is on the wall as of last night so I thought I'd snap a few pictures and add it to this "Share Your Advertising Clock" thread.

A couple words about the clock. This is what I believe to be a clock made PRIOR to the clock making operation moving to Ithaca, N.Y. at the Ithaca Calendar Clock Company facility (1890ish?). The Directions Label inside the case indicate only Sidney, N.Y. as a location.

Generally speaking from what I've seen, there are two basic type of clocks that were made in Sidney, N.Y. The NAWCC museum has an example of the earliest which seems a little "heavier" looking than this clock. The door on the early style fits between to pillars (Larry also posted a photo of one of these on this thread). This later Sidney, N.Y. style clock retains the same ornamentation as the earliest style clock but the central part of the body is now only the width of the door. Next time I'm at the museum, I'm going to ask permission to measure their's to see if those earliest clocks are really bigger. I think the case ornamentation changed when they moved operation to Ithaca. This included the change from three rounded glass windows to one large rectangle window in front of the revolving drums (the two Sidney clocks I've posted prior to this have been the made in Ithaca type with the rectangular window).

If someone is using this clock as a guide as to what is correct, please not that the spindle galley on the top is a nicely done replacement. I have seen photos of only about four clocks with this type of case and have seen a spindle galley on two, an alternative that looked completely different on one (can't even describe it), and one that was missing it's top decorations, so use this as a guide not as gospel. Additionally, this is the only Sidney I've ever seen with these hands. My guess is that they came out of the parts bucket when this clock was restored but I really like them so they are staying. I would have expected Maltese hands as they are most common on Sidneys. Less common, spade hands are also seen. Also note that the door glass has been saved by someone and an additional support put in separating the the top in front of the dial from the bottom advertising portion with GEO. BENZ on it. The door glass on Sidneys were all one piece when they left the factory.

Anyway, I could blather on forever, but this is a fun clock and now that it is on the wall, next step is to get it running properly. Bob

Benz00.JPG

Benz02.JPG

F.B RIGHTER would be the local Jeweler.

Benz04.JPG

Benz02.JPG Benz06.JPG Benz05.JPG

45. Bruce Barnes

Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    Great clock you outbid me but happy it is going to a good home....................... :))

46. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for going easy on me Bruce! Too much more and it was going to get out of reach.

BTW As you can tell by the room placement, it's getting the royal treatment.

47. Bruce Barnes

Donor

Mar 20, 2004
    It will be in Command !!.................................