Share your advertising clocks.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by owen.or, Jul 26, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    PLEASE SHARE YOUR ANTIQUE ADVERTISING CLOCKS! Many advertising clocks have been shared on this board; however, I do not recall a specific post requesting that collectors share their advertising clocks. I have tried to collect Baird clocks over the past few years and have found it a great challenge to find good clocks at prices within reason. While looking for these clocks, I have seen a number of wonderful advertising clocks in a variety of configurations from many different makers. I will start it off with three of my own: 1)a c.1897 tin plate Baird advertising harness oil 2)a c.1892 papier mache Baird 3)an Ansonia Brass and Copper "Cream Mustard" c.1870s. David "owen.or"

Attached Files:

2. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David I would but I do not have any as of yet. Nice clocks, :thumb:. By the way are most advertising clocks Bairds ??Mike

3. time327

time327 Registered User

Apr 26, 2005
    Only two I have left
    Thanks
    Steve

Attached Files:

4. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are two that I have owned, the Gilbert has been sold.

Attached Files:

5. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike, I know that Jerry Maltz has eighty or so Baird examples in his book. I own one that is not in the book, and I have seen a few others that are not in the book. So there could be quite a few more Baird models. Even so I would think that there are hundreds of non-Baird advertising clock examples. David "owen.or"

6. Robert Ling

Robert Ling Registered User

Apr 17, 2002
    Self employed..contractor.
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good topic, David

Nice to see all these clocks.

7. clockdoc

clockdoc Registered User

Nov 27, 2001
    Here's a couple for you to look at, both are totally original. The Wrigley's was made by Waterbury, the Orange Crush was by Ingraham.

Attached Files:

8. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A couple (not in the same class as the Bairds):)

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

9. swankyman

swankyman Registered User

Nov 5, 2006
    A, A
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are some I have

Attached Files:

10. swankyman

Nov 5, 2006
    A, A
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Couple more

Attached Files:

11. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This was made by the Ansonia Clock Co. after the plant was sold to the Soviet Union in 1929. I don't own it.

Attached Files:

12. Bob W.

Bob W. Registered User

Jun 24, 2003
    Here's a "Sidney Advertiser" I owned until a year or so ago. All original save for the bottom repro. ads.

BOB

Attached Files:

13. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's tough to follow a Sidney Advertiser..........:eek:

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

14. swankyman

Nov 5, 2006
    A, A
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    couple more, nothing as nice as those rare ones!!

Attached Files:

15. swankyman

Nov 5, 2006
    A, A
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Richard T. Love that Caterpillar, living here in coal country in PA never seen that one!!

Attached Files:

16. http://lh5.ggpht.com/rvtyme/RrJ1ZJ4qt4I/AAAAAAAAAoA/9qgbk3YEtRU/s288/New%20Haven%20-%20Wall%20-%20Store%20Regulator%20-%20Referee%20-%20Advertising.JPG" /></a>
    New Haven
    Store Regulator

17. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks David for starting what I hope will be a popular thread.
    :thumb:

Here a small Gallery that I used to own. I saw the same firm use a square shaped gallery with an 8-day movement as well.

Bob

Attached Files:

18. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is another (electric)

Sealtest milk

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

19. MUN CHOR-WENG

MUN CHOR-WENG Registered User

Sep 5, 2000
    Country Flag:
    An advertisment clock made by the maker Mauthe of Germany for distribution to retailers. This clock made in the style of an over-size alarm clock is time-piece only.
    It was made around the 1960s and is still in working condition. It runs for about a week between windings.

Mun C.W.

Attached Files:

20. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is one I've posted before in the double dial thread. This clock hangs in my office and is a favorite of my very small collection - all advertising clocks.

The clock is interesting in that it is one of two types of clocks that I know of that the S.F. Hess Company of Rochester, NY, used to advertise their tobacco products. The other, which I've also posted over the years uses a case much like a Waterbury MONTREAL but can have either a New Haven or Welch movement. But back to the Ithaca. It is dated, 1892, and numbered: 43. As I mentioned, it's condition is so-so. The boot is a replacement, the case refinished, the dials are tired. The reason I HAD to bid on it when it came up for auction is that bottom advertisment "Two Queens 5c Cigar". The original ad, which you can just make out underneath the "Two Queens" is "La Velnette", which is the way it came from the factory. When I bought it (at auction) I had the theory that some entrepreneur decided that he wasn't selling very many "La Velnette" Cigars but would rather advertise "Two Queens" Cigars in his establishment, and therefore had it painted over with his preference. I found out later, that "Two Queens" is another S. F. Hess product, and probably the replacement for "La Velnette". My new theory... S. F. Hess had the local painter go around to a bunch of the Rochester taverns and cigar stores and had the ads changed. Probably spent too much time thinking about it :)

For those who are interested in relative scarcity, I've seen a dozen or so of these in various conditions for sale over the past eight years. As is the case with advertisiment clocks in general, many more in poor condition than good (hey, they didn't get to sit in the parlor, they had to work for a living).

Attached Files:

21. Martyme

Martyme Registered User

Nov 5, 2006
    Hello,

Just curious, on the Japy movement, is that an 8 day ?

thanks,

Martyme(Rich)

22. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Rich,

I can't remember but I don't think it is 8 day. It is more like 2 or 3 but will stasrt it soon and find out.

Best,

Richard T.

23. Larry

Larry Registered User

Jul 22, 2002
    Male
    engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's my Welch and Spring no 2. It advertises Shepherd and Bennett in Malden Ma. They were a high end jewelry store back in the day.

Larry

Attached Files:

24. Larry

Larry Registered User

Jul 22, 2002
    Male
    engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a restored Sidney. The advertising is correct for the period and it depicts real places, people and services offered, but when the clock came to me the ads were long gone. The graphics for the rollers is incorrect but since it need only please me I chose better graphics than the traditional repros that are available.

Attached Files:

25. Larry

Larry Registered User

Jul 22, 2002
    Male
    engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know there are some alarm clock fans on the board so here's one for you.

26. Larry

Larry Registered User

Jul 22, 2002
    Male
    engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oops

Attached Files:

27. Larry

Larry Registered User

Jul 22, 2002
    Male
    engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's New Haven's response to the Baird clocks. The bottom piece is suppose to be reverse painted but this one has a computer generated print out image I captured from the web. There is no paper mache on these clocks. The top ring is routed or engraved in the wood of the ring.

Attached Files:

28. Larry

Larry Registered User

Jul 22, 2002
    Male
    engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a Sidney clone project that needs to be assembled. This clock is about one third size. The real Sidney is huge but this clock could fit anywhere. Someone put a lot of time in getting the proportions right on this mahogany case. I chose Maryland's Eastern Shore (again) as the choice for the historically correct adverts.

Attached Files:

29. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This one was my grandfathers and is now my Dad's. My grandfather retired from Borden. He also received an Elgin pocket watch from the company. I cleaned and oiled the clock movement which needed one of it's fiber gears replaced.

Vernon

Attached Files:

30. Larry

Larry Registered User

Jul 22, 2002
    Male
    engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock! A family heirloom is priceless.

Larry

31. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great Clocks everybody.

I don't have an advertizing clock :?|

32. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to everyone who has posted so far! There is a fascinating mix with more to come I hope.

Larry, I owned another model of the New Haven "Duffy's" advertising clock you have shared. I sold it recently. Mine advertised "Goulding's Manures" which is an Irish company that still exists as Goulding's Fertilizers. Baird also made a Goulding's clock. I hope to own one of those some day. I haven't been able to find a picture of the clock I sold, but an example can be seen at the antique clocks price guide site. Just put "New Haven advertising" in the box. It will show up on the top row of clocks. I have never seen an example of this New Haven case with anything but those two advertisers. (Duffy's or Goulding's) Has anyone heard of this New Haven model with something other than these two companies on the front? David "owen.or"

33. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I cleaned & oil this clock the other day, I think it had a E.Ingraham movement

Attached Files:

34. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David:

I have seen several examples of both the DUFFYS ALL MALT and GOULDINGS New Haven Advertisers, but have never encountered this type of clock used for any other company.

On The Topic Of Advertising Clocks...

One thing that seems to be lacking in the available publications on clocks is a good reference for advertising clocks. By far the finest book done on this subject is the book by Jerry Maltz on Baird clocks. This book focuses on Just Bairds and is very well done.

There is an older book on Bairds from the 70s. Not up to the standards of Mr. Maltz's book, but useful as well.

There is a book and "price guide" by a Michael Brunner on Advertising clocks in general, which shows clocks from several sources but features non-Baird clocks from the Jerry Maltz collection for the older clocks. It has many many more examples of electric ad clocks from various collectors.

The last book I know of is a older book by Bernard Edwards. Black and white photos, but a fair number of nice examples. I had heard a rumor that this book was going to be updated with color photos etc. If anyone knows Mr. Edwards (a NAWCC member) and would be able to inquire - I know I sure would like to hear about a new book on the subject.

Lastly, as a blatent advertisment for the NAWCC Lending Library, I have to add that all of the above books are available there and they have several copies of most. BTW, did I miss any books on this subject?

Bob

35. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe this is my only example.

Attached Files:

36. Larry

Larry Registered User

Jul 22, 2002
    Male
    engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris,
    Nice shape, pretty piece. I bought my alarm clock because the advertising was from a little town in Indiana that I recognized from my "yute."

Larry

37. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob, Thanks for the reference to Bernard Edward's book. I had frankly forgotten I had a copy and enjoyed looking over its pages. A number of the clocks posted here are shown. The inside cover indicates a 1976 copyright and a publishing run of only 1000 of the hard bound book. I feel fortunate to have found one. The book "Mom and Pop Stores" by Richard A. Penn c.1998 has 12 pages of advertising clock photos. For me one of the most interesting photos is of the interior of a working general store around 1895 showing a Baird clock on the wall. It is fun to see a setting where one of these clocks hung. This reminds me of the recent thread requesting old photos of clocks. If any of you have not seen that thread, it's a good one worth searching out. It's titled "pictures of clocks back in their day" and is currently showing up on p. 6 of this site. David "owen.or"

38. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    TEACLOCKS...

Very interesting to see a wooden cased version of David's tin faced Baird. As you might already know, there is also a paper mache Baird version for this company as well.

These leather oils seem to have been a product that was popularly advertised on clocks. There was a Globe Oil Co. and a Perfect Oil (that one was new to me, but saw it on a Baird in a recent auction).

Here is an odd little ad clock for LEWIS "66" RYE. 12" across, scalloped edges, glue-chip techique for the larger letters - then done in silver leaf. Artwork was done by the Cincinatti Sand Blast Co. or so it says on a little piece of paper on the back.

I also want to mention that several years back there was another clock, very similar to this on E-Bay that advertised MAGNET RYE. The format look almost identical except that there was no scalloped edges to catch the light and your attention. Unfortunately, very poor condition.

Bob

Attached Files:

39. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now theres a clock you don't see every day ^

Bob, Do you know who made the movement ?

40. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Robert;

To be honest, I don't know who made the movement. There are no markings on the back of the enclosure. In an on-going effort to have all my clocks functioning, I've handed this one over to the local clock expert. That was about a month ago, and I'm expecting any day now to hear from him that it's ready. When I pick it up, I'll ask if he noticed what it is.

BTW, I don't know how common or uncommon this clock is, but it's the only copy of it I've ever seen for sale.

Bob

41. PW Collector

PW Collector Registered User

Aug 3, 2003
    Angels Camp, California, or Angels Trading Post as it was kown in 1848, founded by Henry P. Angel, became one of the most famous and rich gold mining areas of the entire foothill territory.
    G.E. Parker, Jeweler, Angels Camp, Cal.

Attached Files:

42. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    This Ansonia clock is hangin in the Angels Camp Museum.
    Geo. E. Parker, Watchmaker and Jeweler

Attached Files:

43. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    Westinghouse Electric Range
    Dave

Attached Files:

44. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    Westclox Big Ben
    Granat Bros. Jewelers
    2242-2248 Mission St.
    San Francisco, Calif.

Attached Files:

45. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003

46. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003

47. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003

Attached Files:

48. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    NYAL Service Drug Store

Attached Files:

49. PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
    New Haven Clock with gold miner
    crest on top of clock is:
    Hotel St. Francis
    San Francisco
    clock is 3-3/4" x 3-3/4"

Attached Files:

50. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Once again, after not looking at this thread for a few days, there are more fantastic examples. Thanks everyone for sharing.

I'm a bit jealous of Larry's early vintage Sidney Advertising Clock. And the miniature one, well somespent some serious time making that one from scratch. Very cool.

Bob also had something there that I've never seen on another Sidney... Not only was the tablet original to the clock, the backing colors to the ads were in color. Every other original tablet I've ever seen was backed in black paint. Perhaps this is more common than I know, but Bob's was the only one I've ever seen like that.

This one was a nice example with the curved upper marquee. An interesting feature of this one was the case was made out of some sort of fruitwood, cherry, etc. Very tight grain. Otherwise, it seems to be a standard example of a later Sidney.

BTW, the bottom had been shorted at some time in it's life. I've seen that on a number of these as they were so tall. Also, all advertisments, except for the original dial paper are modern replacements.

Bob

Attached Files: