• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Shaky Start After a Repair

fbicknel

Apr 14, 2017
Cumming, GA
Country
Region
After flushing that bush, I got the end shake I needed, but on reassembly, it still won't run.

At this point, I think the escapement must be toast.

I will try one more thing later on; the assembled without escape wheel test to see if the train runs free. If it does, I guess I'm in for asking Swissjewel company if they can replicate these. I dunno. I put it aside to think and maybe draw more comments here.

I suppose also that at some point that escapement pivot got re-bent. The escapement assembly hasn't been disassembled since it was put together again, so that's something else to check on.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, that's the way we discuss those wheels often here. It's not always clear to new people what we mean, but it usually gets sorted out :)

fbicknel

Apr 14, 2017
Cumming, GA
Country
Region
I decided to pull it out of the box (I was bored) and see what happens. The cursed thing has been running on the stand all day. I'll leave it there a couple of weeks and see what happens.

I've been doing a little research online and this site called antiqueclockspriceguide.com has a dead ringer for it and they call it a Lafayette model. Can anyone confirm that? I'm not sure I trust their model labeling 100%. :)

20200401_181237.jpg 20200401_181251.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If it runs on the stand but not in the case, you probably have something with the case interfering with it some how.

fbicknel

Apr 14, 2017
Cumming, GA
Country
Region
Yep, that would also be my first thought, but I think I found it.

When I put it in the case, I put the hands on and stake them in with the little tapered pin. When it's on the stand, that pin is just in there enough to keep it from falling out ... hassle to put in, etc.

Well....

I pushed that pin in all the way on the stand and guess what? The clock stopped! :)

So after a bit of head scratching over why that might be, I discovered that the hour tube was protruding just a bit and causing friction with the minute hand itself. I only figured this out by gently wiggling the minute hand and noticing that everything wiggled, even the hour hand. Hm....

So it turned out to be an easy fix: I didn't quite have the motion works drive gear (the one on the center shaft) on the shaft quite far enough. I loosened that setscrew (Thankfully this one wasn't pressed on) and moved it back ever so slightly, and that gave the hour tube enough clearance to not rub on the minute hand even when the latter was installed properly.

Oh yeah...

Here are a few pictures to show what's going on.

20200402_102106.jpg 20200402_102147.jpg 20200402_102359.jpg 20200402_102530.jpg

fbicknel

Apr 14, 2017
Cumming, GA
Country
Region
It's all back together and running now. Time *ahem* will tell if it continues to run this time, but it seems more likely this time around.

20200403_145223-A.jpg Seen here posing amongst its brothers and sisters.

... this time around. I'm gonna go wash my mount out with soap, now. Two time puns in one post... that's just too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent