• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Setting warn wheel and chime strike cam on Hermle 1161

Dan Volocyk

Oct 5, 2010
Hello, I have a Hermle 1161 movement that had a broken warn wheel pin that I replaced. I didn't take a picture so I wasn't sure where to position the pin when I replaced the wheel. I had problems with chiming and have since loosened the chime locking plate too. I took a picture of the movement so you can see where things are at now. I moved it through each position and have it stopped just past the hour. You can see that one of the hammers is up in the picture. The chime locking plate pin is just past the longest lobe on the plate. I think this is the hour position. Can you tell me if the the chime locking plate is position correctly or what do you suggest I do? Thanks!

Last edited:

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I didn't take a picture so I wasn't sure where to position the pin when I replaced the wheel. .... I took a picture of the movement
:confused::confused:
Cannot see a picture.

What is "chime strike cam"?

Is it the striking warning or the chiming one?
Whichever one it is, is the said pin used for locking as well. In that case, the warning run cannot be changed.

The longest lobe on the chiming count wheel (locking plate) is for the hour. To position it, remove it and allow the chiming train to run and lock, then replace the CW with its detent centrally in the notch.

You'll probably need to re-time the chiming pin barrel (to 1/4 or 3/4) if a hammer is up in the air.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If we're talking about the chime, then as Mike said. Make sure you're on the Westminster selection if it has more than one tune ... and when you put the wheel back on, put it at the 3/4 hour position. Then loosen the chime ratio wheel on the back and turn the chime drum until you see the four note scale (in order unless you have several chime hammers) fall. Tighten the wheel back down and test it. The train has to lock when the last hammer falls. You don't want any hammer lift during warn.

Dan Volocyk

Oct 5, 2010
Thanks for your help. Is there a descriptive picture of this movement anywhere here so I know what the parts are called?

If I were to buy a replacment movement, would it come ready to run or would I have to do this type of setup work first? I suppose that all depends on how it arrives. Are they generally ready to go?

Last edited:

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
Thanks for your help. Is there a descriptive picture of this movement anywhere here so I know what the parts are called?

If I were to buy a replacment movement, would it come ready to run or would I have to do this type of setup work first? I suppose that all depends on how it arrives. Are they generally ready to go?
Replacement movements all come ready to go. For pricing contact us at 563.263.6759 or butterworth@butterworthclocks.com

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

at the top of the forum, there's a 'sticky' that has part names with pictures to help you find what parts are being discussed :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-