Setting up moon phase. Mid-day, mid-night?

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
On many clocks with moon phases, it often take 3-4 hours from the moment the moon dial is engaged to the moment that the detent sets it into position.
I normally set it up so that it starts engaging at about 10:00. that way it completes the change by about 2:00.

Clock don't really have an AM and PM (there are some exceptions), so it doesn't really matter when the moon phase changes, mid-day or mid-night, most people don't notice nor care when this happens.

Here is one of the exceptions. When a clock is equipped with an auto night silent feature, there definitely is an AM and PM.
I feel that setting up the moon phase to change at night, when the auto nigh silent is also engaging, that there is too many things happening at once, too much load on the going train. In those clocks, I set up the moon dial to change mid-day. I also feel that this makes sense since the clock will show you what the moon will "look" like tonight.
(I put the word "look" between " " as it does not really represents what the moon will look like, but more of a percentage of the visible moon and where it is in it's phase.)

Any thoughts on this?

M.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It's just an approximation and most will move/click twice per day. Turning the moon dial to the approximate phase is all you need to do.

It's good to check and adjust the action whenever you have the dial off.

If it has plastic gears, or the handshaft is worn, it's best to remove the drive wheel to disable this feature.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You can get an app that will tell you the moon "age" The numbers above the moon correspond to that age. Set the center of the full moon to that number and you have it.

• Love
Reactions: disciple_dan

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
We have an early arch dial longcase moonphase running, from about 1730. It has a very unusual system for driving the date and moonphase disc using spider wheels which connect with the flag rotating once a day. Using this system they can't both change at once, so the date changes at midnight and the lunar during the day.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
As Willie mentioned, normally the Moon Dial is advanced twice per day. What hour that happens seems to be set by whatever design is in use. I suppose that if you can "set" when the moon advances, trying to do so when nothing else is taxing the Time Train would be a good way to go. I doubt the moon dial will cause a healthy movement to significantly slow or stall in any case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisWinston
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller