Setting time on verge fusee watches

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Leanne D, Oct 26, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Leanne D

Leanne D Guest

Hi,

I recently acquired a k/w Will M Davis, double case, verge fusee pocket watch and it is the first one i have ever had. I was just wondering how you actually set time...it has a single winding nob so i am not sure and really dont want to do anything to it.

Thanks
    Leanne

2. EmmaR

EmmaR Registered User

does the key fit on the front square? these are usually set the same as a clock, by winding the hands with the key..

*EMMA*

3. Leanne D

Leanne D Guest

here are some photos if anyone is interested....

https://mb.nawcc.org/ 56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

4. Leanne D

Leanne D Guest

worked this time....also by any chance does anyone know about the maker Will M Davis?

No it doesn't have a winder on the face, and i knew you wind it with the key...im just not sure how to do exactly...the pictures migth help

thanks for trying :)

5. Leanne D

Leanne D Guest

aha i think i understand what you were saying before Emma...you weren't talking about an actual winder on the front...but rather the one in the center of the hands...please correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks again
    leanne :)

6. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Leanne,

The Loomes book lists about ten Wm. Davis in London between 1680 and 1863, so that won't be much help. But if you carefully remove the watch papers in the rear of your case you should see the English hallmarks on the inside of the case which will help you date your watch.

Several sources on the internet have the English hallmarks listed for lookup, and the Shugart watch guide also has the marks to compare with your watch.

Dave

7. Leanne D

Leanne D Guest

Hi Dave,
    The date letter is a lower case k and comparing it to the date letter marks for London im going for 1785 or 1825...haha dont supose that narrows it down a bit?

Also this Loomes book...is that the full title and who is the author?

Thanks
    leanne :)

8. EmmaR

EmmaR Registered User

oops.. yes it should have square in the centre of the hands.. you open the little door and put the key on the end of the cannon pinnion, and turn the minute hand to set the time. hope this helps, and you have a very nice watch there!

*EMMA*

9. Leanne D

Leanne D Guest

Thanks Emma for your help...i am quite pleased with it to. I am timing it at the moment and so far it hasn't missed a beat, which is really quite amazing for its age. So far i'd say good investment for a 17-year-old, especially at the price i paid for it. Hopefully i will be able to find more about it and its maker.

Thanks again

Leanne :)

10. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Leanne,

Yes, it is a very nice watch. You are right to be pleased with it.

Now, for the hallmark. Lower case k could be either 1785-86 or 1825-26. Is there a crown on the leopard's head? (Leopard's head the town mark for London.) If there is a crown, then it is the earlier date, of not, the later date.

The full title of the book is Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World by Brian Loomes. You want the 2006 edition, not the older ones.

When quoting the date letter on the hallmark, most people just mention the earlier year, but in fact, before 1975 when they were all standardized to January, London changed the mark in May. So the date letter could extend over two years.

Jerry

11. conradin

conradin Registered User

Oct 18, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    open the face bezel. hand wind. Always clockwise and only the minute hand.

12. Leanne D

Leanne D Guest

Hi Jerry.

There is the usual lion passant (facing to the left) and a leopard head without a crown.

This might help to...the maker's mark for the paircase are E.F. After doing a bit of research I found someone called Edward Farrell and he was registered in London in 1819...that is somewhat close to 1825...but then again the k looks more like the 1785 date letter k.

Thanks for your help and time....and for the book title

Leanne :)

Just read that the uncrowned leopard is 1822 on...so shall we say 1825?

13. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Hi Leanne,

Glad you got your question answered and you're making headway - the 2006 edition of Loomes book is the one I was referencing.

Also - the NAWCC Bulletin Supplement 20, Spring 1994, wrtten by Philip T. Preistley lists an Edward Feline with the same EF mark in London between 1794 and 1822.

Dave

14. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    I am not the world's expert on English watches, but I have not seen that kind of regulator on an English watch until about 1810. On the other hand, 1825 is rather late for this movement in my opinion.

Of course, a case could have sat around for a while before it was used, or the movement could have been recased.

I would like some comment from those who know English movements better than I.

Don