Setting the wrong time on my watches sometimes

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by musicguy, Jan 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Last night I set two recently serviced 18s Railroad watches to the "exact"
    time ( The Official NIST US Time ). When I got up this morning I looked at the Elgin Veritas
    and saw it had lost one hour. I did have some prior problems with that watch( the hands were
    interfering with each other) and I said to myself %$#% time to
    reinstall those hands again(nothing big). Then I looked at the Hamilton and
    it was also exactly one hour behind. It's not that often that I do it, but it has happened before.
    When it's only one watch I don't question myself (at first), but when it's two watches I know
    there is a glitch in my brain somewhere. I did set the second one to the first one so it may not
    have been a double glitch.

Rob

2. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, those attacking butterflies can be a real pain. It's even more troubling when you get up and check a watch on the day that it's supposed to go back to the customer and find it's an hour back, even though you KNOW it was on time when you wound it the day before, was on time when you looked at it in the evening, and had been running gratifyingly well for several days. I've learned that I must just pay attention to the minute hand by itself or something - this has happened with so many watches that all it does now is make me swear. A lot. "Missed it by that much!" Glad I'm not alone in this boat... :)

Glen

musicguy likes this.
  3. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Man, I thought I was going nuts! I usually don't carry the same pocket watch and noticed that every once and a while the time would be off exactly one hour on different ones. I knew all my watches couldn't suffer from the same ailment. Got to be a medical term for this.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe just wishful thinking: "It can't be that late! Must be this!"

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have done that too, lol. Usually when i first get up in the morning.:p

6. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Aye, count me in, either 5 min off or an hour. Haha

7. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh, lord, the five-minute one. That's a lot more common than an hour. Yeah, thanks for ripping that wound open and rubbing salt in it. :excited:

And the boat keeps getting bigger...

Glen

Rick Hufnagel and musicguy like this.
  8. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, all!

Did you ever solder a connector onto the end of a wire, only to realize that you forgot to slip the insulator/cover over the wire first? Or have you ever cut a piece of wire 5 times and found it was still too short?

Best regards!

Tim

9. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If there is not already a name for this condition, we need to come up with one, because it seems to be pretty common.

After months of searching, I finally purchased my first Rolex, a pre-owned one. It was delivered Friday and my daughter watched as I opened the box like a kid on Christmas morning. I asked her what time it was so we could set the watch. She says, "About 10:25". I smile and say that is not good enough. We need to be accurate, so I pull out my cell phone and open the Exact Time app and set the watch to precisely 10:26, even hack it to the second. We are all very impressed with the watch and I even take a photo of it and text it to my wife. She is also impressed. So I am wearing my new Rolex around the house, happy as can be with my new purchase. While in the shop working on a clock case, I find myself hammering a piece of trim into place. I figure I better not push my luck and damage the watch on the first day so I take it off and set it safely on the other bench. After finishing the case, I put the watch back on and compare it to the quartz clock on the wall. The quartz clock appears to be 10 minutes fast; must need a new battery. I check the time on my phone and it agrees with the quartz clock. The watch is 10 minutes slow! Horror sweeps over me as I realize I must have damaged my new watch after wearing it for less than an hour. I didn't think I was hammering any harder than a light tap, how could this have happened? I feel sick, but reset the time and watch it for a few hours as it keeps perfect time. Then I have a thought. I look at the photo that I sent to my wife. The watch hands say 10:27 but the time that the photo was taken says 10:37. I had initially set the watch 10 minutes behind right out of the box. My daughter even watched me do it and I must have looked at the watch a hundred times before taking it off in the shop and never noticed it. I now feel foolish instead of sick, but at least the watch is OK. What ever this condition is that makes us set the time incorrectly, I've got it bad!

Allan

glenhead likes this.
  10. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Yeah it really is a mental condition as I have said above I've done it with the hour and now that it has been mentioned
    also the 5 or 10 minute ones too.
    When I do it, it does cause stress. :eek:...................:screwball:......................:cuckoo:

Rob

11. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I think that psychoanalysts call this "analoguitis". It does not occur when using digital devices.

The advanced form of the condition (for which there is no known cure) is "geriatric analoguitis".

12. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I unplugged an appliance from an extension lead so that I could change the socket on the extension lead. After a loud bang and associated sparks when I cut the socket off I realised it might have been better to unplug the extension lead.

13. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Uh...

Experiences from this past Saturday:

New gas range with digital clock. Set the clock. Call Wife in to see the nice new cooking gizmo. Wife: "Why does it say 2:43? Isn't it 1:43?" Me (as usual): "Sigh."

Wife: "I let my cuckoo run down. Would you wind and set it on your way by, please?" A while later, Wife, at eight o'clock: "Did that just cuckoo seven times?" Me (as usual): "Sigh."

This is after having told her about this thread earlier in the week. Analog, digital, anywhere in between, we set them all wrong!

Sigh.

Glen

PatH likes this.
  14. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    No known cure. Sorry Glen ....

15. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Have a fancy Atomic clock that's suppose to set itself. Set it and few hours later a few hours off. Had it set on the right time zone but always after I set it a little while later 3 hours ahead. After a few rounds of this I set it on pacific time zone (I am on the east coast) and no more problems. Sad to say with all the clocks and watches in my house the most reliable clock seems to be the cable box.

16. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did it again.... Couldn't help but laugh

IMG_20200303_090249708.jpg

17. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could always say that the one on the wall is already changed for daylight saving time this weekend. Just thinking ahead, right? :D

18. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The one on the wall actually has the correct time! Haha. Well.. minus the poor hour hand being a bit off. It's my shop clock and it's seen some abuse....

Time change is this weekend, isn't it... thanks.