Setting the timing for a westminster chime clock

Davel831

Dec 30, 2020
Country
Hi Everyone
I hope you are all safe and well, i have acquired a Granddaughter westminster chiming clock. I have cleaned it up serviced it and now just waiting for new chime rods as the old ones were rather out of tune!

I have the movement on my test stand currently and i am just wondering is there a set sequence to ensure that the timing is correct ? Please excuse my question as this is my first three train chiming clock i have serviced , so to ensure correct strikes and the snail and chiming wheel are all correct?

I have included a picture to help

Many thanks beforehand for all your input and help.

God Bless Dave

2.jpg IMG_3601.jpg IMG_3602.jpg

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Can you state in more detail what you did to service it? Did you completely disassemble it for cleaning?

Davel831

Dec 30, 2020
Country
Hi yes i did complete disassembly and noticed now when it comes to the strike hour this happens as in pics below

IMG_3603.jpg IMG_3604.jpg

Davel831

Dec 30, 2020
Country
Hi yes it is the same movement, i did have this in the case but took it out as i needed to adjust it as it keep stopping after several hours , i found what it was! So i thought put it on a test stand to check then discovered this lol. When it was in the case it was chiming fine?

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Yes, that happens. If everything else is working properly, chime correction, warning runs, etc. then if these hammers are left lifted after a chime, it is simply a matter of disengaging the drive wheel with the set screws, letting the hammers fall and re-engaging the wheel. It is sometimes not as easy as it sounds, because you must disengage it without turning the arbor it is on. Usually takes me a couple of tries.

Last edited:

Davel831

Dec 30, 2020
Country
Hi thank you gore the reply the hammers lift up before the final chimes then strike ?

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
All hammers should be down after a chime sequence and also at the end of a strike sequence. They should not lift during the warning run or the the chimes/strike might stall. The chime or strike train usually needs to get going up to speed before it can successfully lift hammers.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you're talking about the strike sequence, you can adjust that with the gathering pallet. When the last strike occurs, the train should lock. Just move the GP so it does.

Davel831

Dec 30, 2020
Country
Hi sorry perhaps I am not describing this well, but just before the last chime the two hammers in the pic lift up then the chime is played but only two of them as two have been lifted then the hour is sounded as normal? I hope that makes some sense

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
As Shtterbig said, you just need to rotate the gathering pallet, rotate it to the right by holding the wheel with your index finger and rotating the pallet with plyers to the right. What is happening is the set/warning for the strike is lifting those two hammers before the chime ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Old Time Repair
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre