Setting strike on a 19'th century Seth Thomas

Joecephus

Mar 26, 2021
Country
I recently purchased a Seth Thomas weight driven clock which I believe was made in 1884. Question- what is the proper way to set the strike on this clock? It is 4 hours off. For example, it strikes noon at 4. Thanks!

IMG_20220108_193631658.jpg IMG_20220108_194002681.jpg

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It probably has/had a thin wire hanging down behind the dial, left of center. A slight tug, or upward push, will advance the strike one hour. Once the strike agrees with the hour hand, you would set the clock forward to time, allowing the strike to finish at each hour.

There are many variations, a good photo of the movement would allow for more specific instructions, if the above general instructions don't work.

Willie X

Joecephus

Mar 26, 2021
Country
It probably has/had a thin wire hanging down behind the dial, left of center. A slight tug, or upward push, will advance the strike one hour. Once the strike agrees with the hour hand, you would set the clock forward to time, allowing the strike to finish at each hour.

There are many variations, a good photo of the movement would allow for more specific instructions, if the above general instructions don't work.

Willie X
Yes, there is a wire just to the left. I'll try that. Do you pull the wire anytime, or as the clock is striking? Thanks for the info!

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
move the hour hand to correspond with the striking hour...........then stop the clock and restart at the appointed hour, e.g., strikes 2 at 6 stop and restart at 2 the next day.
Bruce #3

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There would be no reason to move the wire while the clock is striking ...

When you move the trip wire the strike will advance one hour, as already mentioned.

Willie X

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Willie X, my solution is if you don't have the trip wire,both ways will work.

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
The instructions are on the label, bottom of this section.

1643046025478.png

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
Yes, the instructions are there. It mentions using the wire to adjust the strike. But doesn't tell you how to do it.

Willie X
Follow Willie's instructions - by raising the wire as stated on the label.

In other words ... raise the wire then let it go, this should start the strike - then wait until it stops striking.
Repeat this until the strikes match the hour hand.

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
That's great!

By the way I forgot to mention something that I should have - in case it happens again.

When the clock is between about 10 minutes before, until shortly after the hour, that wire won't work. The clock is getting ready to strike on it's own, and it's not going to strike for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danarog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner