Setting beat with Becker No.4 bracket ie no adjustment

silverman166

Feb 6, 2022
Country
I'm about to fit the new suspension spring after complete overhaul of the 1905/6 BHA Gustav Becker 400 day clock about which, as a newbie, I previously posted various questions.

Having no adjustment mechanism, how does one set the beat on such a clock? I note that the No.4 bracket (listed in the 400 day Clock Repair guide, Section 15) with which the clock is fitted has a tiny screw on one side where the suspension block slots into the bracket, but am not sure what to do with this screw.

As the width of the slot in the bracket is wider than the suspension block, is it intended to use the screw to simply centre the block within the bracket, or does it have some other function?

IMG_6253.JPG IMG_6255.JPG

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Looks like this is on a Gustav Becker clock. What is the serial number? Could you show an angled view of the saddle?

Without seeing more, I think you'll have to bend the suspension spring above the fork but below the top block.

Kurt

Last edited:

GRZESIEK

Apr 3, 2017
Country
Gentlemen, what a patent for setting the clock by bending the suspension.? Do you think that it was originally so set? You need an upper block with the right thickness. The one you have is probably not original. This screw on the side is only to block the suspension.

silverman166

Feb 6, 2022
Country
My Friends

Thanks for your thoughts, and may I apologise for the tardy reply, but I was awaiting email confirmation of any response which did not materialise, so I've only just checked to see whether I had correctly posted the thread.

The Serial No. enabled me to confirm the date of manufacture given in my post, and identify the bracket no.

The idea of bending the spring seems somewhat crude to say the least - is there really no other way, and if not how does one know which way to bend it?

I think that perhaps the blocks are OK - see photos below (without suspension wire). Should I lock them in with the screw ensuring the spring is vertical ?

Peter IMG_6259.JPG IMG_6260.jpg

Last edited:

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I see no other way for the beat to be set other than bending the spring. Once the top block with the cross pin is inserted into those two v-grooves, that locks the block in place. As for which way to bend it, I'd have to think about it, but it won't take much. Try to consider what you're trying to do...then bending accordingly. You'll know immediately if you're going the right direction!!

Kurt

silverman166

Feb 6, 2022
Country
Thanks Kurt

I've just realised that it's just the same as using the friction/screw device normally found on the top of the bracket, which is effectively twisting the suspension wire minutely. I think you twist in the opposite direction to the side which has the widest swing ie if the longest swing occurs in the clockwise direction, twist anti-clockwise?

I confess to having got hung up on the expression 'bending', when what is really meant is twisting - I think!!??

Peter

PS Any idea why I don't receive emails when a reply is made - my settings are such that they should be sent?

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
There is a problem with the forum software regarding notifications. It's been a topic of discussion in the Forum Help area. They're working on a fix.

Kurt

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
That seems a daft design to me I can’t believe that was done from new it looks like it was from a normal pendulum clock

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
May have been designed by an optimist, or something is missing.. As it sits twisting the suspension slightly as requred to get it in beat is the only option. That will be quite a difficult method to get it in beat.

Wayne

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
im not good with these clocks, but i lowered the fork on mine and that changed the beat, that or it triggered something else.

silverman166

Feb 6, 2022
Country
That seems a daft design to me I can’t believe that was done from new it looks like it was from a normal pendulum clock
Bear in mind the age of the clock - 1906/7 (previously incorrectly stated as 1905/6 - memory failure!). The company later (don't know when) introduced an adjustable design.

I've just noticed in the Repair Guide Section 15 that this type of bracket is not often seen, and it also does mention about twisting the suspension spring - I missed that bit before asking the question!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-