Setting beat on Floating Balance

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
I am nearing the end of repairs on my first big project.... a Hermle 208-005 (made 1968) with a floating balance escapement.

The clock keeps great time, but it suddenly struck me the beat sounds way off. (It seems to make more than a simple tick-tock and drives the beat clocks crazy.) But nowhere can I find any information about adjusting this.

Any help highly appreciated.

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Let down the time spring, when the balance is in the 'at rest' position, the double rollers should be exactly perpendicular to the plates. If the rollers are off to one side, correct by rotating the top collet of the balance spring in the direction necessary.

When all is well, the clock should self start with a couple of turns on the mainspring. If it will pass this test now, it's fine as is.

Willie X

Reactions: ChimeTime

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
That is absolutely fabulous information !!

It didn't make sense until I unloaded the mainspring and took the balance unit out. Then I could see the position clearly. And it was off kilter. It took a minute to find the adjuster on the collet, but it was right where you guys described once I focused on that position.

Glad to report the patient is feeling much better and going to make a full recovery. Thank you both so VERY much.

I'm so glad I joined NAWCC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apollodog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller