• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Seth Thomas

ick1300

Aug 1, 2010
I just purchased a very handsome Seth Thomas wall clock, but it doesnt work. It is battery ran German movement. Is this considered an electric clock like the early battery ran movements of wrist movements? When I put a battery in, it moves the dial in 5 minute jumps a second.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
ick:

Welcome to the message board.

I'm going to move this to the Electric Clock forum where it might get a better response.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
I just purchased a very handsome Seth Thomas wall clock, but it doesnt work. It is battery ran German movement. Is this considered an electric clock like the early battery ran movements of wrist movements? When I put a battery in, it moves the dial in 5 minute jumps a second.
WOW! SOME vitamins in that battery!

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I believe that your battery clock is one of the "atomic radio controlled" types and it is trying to set the hands according to the received data string transmitted from Ft. Collins in Colorado.

Set the clock in an upstairs windowsill oriented toward Colorado to maximize radio reception. When finally the circuits have synchronized the position of the hands with Standard Time, it will behave.

Look for a switch or control to set the time zone on the back of the clock.

Too, it may be an indication of a depleted dry cell. Try a new battery.