Seth Thomas wall clock Cat. 2310 (Mod. E477-009)

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by NECCnut, May 11, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NECCnut

NECCnut Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Environmental/education instructor
    Greater Rockford area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 NECCnut, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
    Hey guys--I'm working on a clock for a friend. It has a battery operated movement with a platform escapement. I have gone through the movement and can't find any mechanical reason for it not to work, so I am suspecting something in the electronics. Now, this not a particularly interesting or valuable movement, I'm thinking of just replacing it with a modern, USA-made quartz movement of similar size and function. I believe I have selected the best course of action, but if there are any thoughts to the contrary, or help in getting this movement working, I would appreciate it. It isn't a particularly valuable clock, but the family is attached to it, so I would like to get it running for them again. A good quartz movement could possible last 10-20-30 years or so.

It is a Seth Thomas "Golden Rule" Cat. 2310 (Mod. E477-009) Octagon wall clock.

2. NECCnut

NECCnut Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Greater Rockford area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a picture of the movement for reference:

Attached Files:

3. NECCnut

NECCnut Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Greater Rockford area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any thoughts on restoring this clock to working condition? Ok to replace with modern quartz movement? Thanks.

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A new movement is the best option for you with this clock. Quartz movements do wear out, and were not built with repairs in mind.

5. NECCnut

NECCnut Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Greater Rockford area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's what I thought, too. It's just too tricky to troubleshoot the electronics and try to fix a transistor or something even though I have electronics experience. Looks like I got the wrong size movement from Norkro, but they've been great in the past and I will call them tomorrow to clear this up.

6. NECCnut

NECCnut Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Greater Rockford area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok, talked to Norkro today, and they will exchange the incorrect movement for one that will fit and run the hands that I already have. I think those guys are great!--Steve

7. NECCnut

NECCnut Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Greater Rockford area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 NECCnut, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Norkro came through with the correct movement, and it's now installed and working and my customer is happy. The movement is a continuous sweep quartz and it looks really nice on this clock. Hands move more like the old clocks without a lot of stepping. Interesting that this clock must have come in both electronic and mechanical versions since the case (but not the dial) was pre-drilled for a winding arbor, and there is certainly enough room in the case for a pendulum.

Attached Files:

8. lmester

lmester Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Male
    I manage HVAC systems for a school district.
    West Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have the same Seth Thomas clock with a battery rewind pendulum movement. Golden Rule Calendar Cat. # 2504-A. It also has a winding arbor hole in the case. Mine has a nice porcelain dial. These must have been sold with a lot of different movements.

Attached Files: