Seth Thomas Triple Decker weights

Monty M.

Jul 31, 2021
Country
Acquired a 8 day triple decker with no weights. What are correct for T & S on these movements ? Thanks !

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
7 1/2 pounds is good. Merritt's CW-1 or CW-2 should work. Check your measurements carefully. The weight needs to be 1/4" smaller than the well it rides in. Willie X

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
The weights may not be the only problem in a clock that old.
That clock has been bouncing around for more than a hundred years.
Willie gave some general guidelines for weights.
For testing purposes, the clock does not care what is hung on the drive cord.
What do you think about rigging up some stones, window weights, etc. to try the clock out?
If you find you cannot justify additional repair, you will not have a bunch of money invested in weights.
Best,
Dick

Monty M.

Jul 31, 2021
Country
The weights may not be the only problem in a clock that old.
That clock has been bouncing around for more than a hundred years.
Willie gave some general guidelines for weights.
For testing purposes, the clock does not care what is hung on the drive cord.
What do you think about rigging up some stones, window weights, etc. to try the clock out?
If you find you cannot justify additional repair, you will not have a bunch of money invested in weights.
Best,
Dick
Thanks for the input. Clock is currently running with about 4 lbs on strike side. On time side I have about 3 lbs but clock needs more weight to rub more than an hour at a time. I have 6 3/4 and 8 lb weights hee but I thought that might be over kill. Maybe not based on Willie's comments.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Nope, not overkill.

if you are a non-believer, here is a photo of an original 8-Day S-T weight setting on an accurate scale, set to display pounds. I would say most run somewhere between 7 and 7 1/2 pounds. The original weights were not accurately made and vary quite a bit in weight, even on the same clock.

BTW. These 8-Day clocks were not overpowered. The 1-Day clocks were overpowered. Willie X

IMG_20210731_163901.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-