• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Seth Thomas suspension spring and regulator position...odd

Wimberleytech

NAWCC Member
Jan 27, 2022
Country
This is a "Label 295" also referred to as a 4 1/2 and 89 I think.
Notice that the suspension spring is not enclosed by the regulator--only partially.
I serviced the clock and all seemed well, but it is not regulating...seems erratic. Wondering if this is the issue.
The clock does not appear to have been hacked by earlier services and in fact looks to be in excellent condition.

Thoughts?

2022-11-25 08_09_37-Window.png

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
I've had problems with that style of regulator. It seems the tightness of the fingers on the regulator against the spring is crucial. Loose enough to slide up and down freely without binding, but tight/close enough to actually do the job. Another possibility is this is a replacement suspension and the original was narrower which allowed the regulator to fully enclose it. Be sure the suspension spring is quite smooth. Even a spot of oil might be in order. Also be sure the regulator is sliding smoothly against the rear plate and not binding on a burr or something.

Reactions: Wimberleytech

Wimberleytech

NAWCC Member
Jan 27, 2022
Country
I noticed that the screw holding the regulator plate was a little loose and the regulator arm was moving with the spring. Tightened that and will monitor the regulation progress. Should have noticed this during assembly...details!

Will report back later with results

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I think someone botched the assembly. The suspension spring is now pinned incorrectly.

I would try: removing the cross pin from the suspension spring hanger post, place a loop of small wire through the suspension spring hole, replace it where it was except now it hangs on top of the post but further back, put a pin or wire through the (now empty) horizontal hole to act as a retainer.

If the slot in the hanger post is not deep enough (can't tell by the photo) then the hanger post has been changed.

And in the end, you may need to make a new suspension rod, or change to an adjustable pendulum bob, in order to center the adjuster.

Willie X

Reactions: Wimberleytech

Wimberleytech

NAWCC Member
Jan 27, 2022
Country
I think someone botched the assembly. The suspension spring is now pinned incorrectly.

I would try: removing the cross pin from the suspension spring hanger post, place a loop of small wire through the suspension spring hole, replace it where it was except now it hangs on top of the post but further back, put a pin or wire through the (now empty) horizontal hole to act as a retainer.

If the slot in the hanger post is not deep enough (can't tell by the photo) then the hanger post has been changed.

And in the end, you may need to make a new suspension rod, or change to an adjustable pendulum bob, in order to center the adjuster.

Willie X
Yeah, something went awry. I guess it could have been manufactured incorrectly...things do happen and don't get caught.
I have plenty of suspension springs...will fiddle with it.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
It looks like the pin holding suspension spring will not let it move front to back easily, causing binding, you might have the wrong bob, it doesn't show in picture. The label #295 is just that a label number it has nothing to do with what movement is in the case, yours is probably the 89C.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
All the ST 89-x movement that I can recall were like this example (89-C). The posts do not have a hole for a pin. Someone has modified the OP's movement and added a pin that is causing trouble. In this example the suspension spring has a small "dimple" that heeps it from slipping through the slot. A tiny hole where the dimple is with a piece of wire through it would also workl.

RC

ST-suspension.jpg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
All the ST 89-x movement that I can recall were like this example (89-C). The posts do not have a hole for a pin. Someone has modified the OP's movement and added a pin that is causing trouble. In this example the suspension spring has a small "dimple" that heeps it from slipping through the slot. A tiny hole where the dimple is with a piece of wire through it would also workl.

RC

View attachment 738038
This confirms what Willie said in post #5.

Uhralt

Wimberleytech

NAWCC Member
Jan 27, 2022
Country
Good info. I have moved the suspension spring so that it is now completely enclosed by the regulator fork.
Will update on regulation as I tune it in.

Reactions: wow

Wimberleytech

NAWCC Member
Jan 27, 2022
Country
Occam's Razor strikes again!!
The big problem on this clock, I believe, was the minute hand dragging on the hour hand.
The hour hand was not pressed on far enough and would drag in certain positions.
Yeah, the suspension spring issue needed to be resolved but I do not think it was the BIG issue.
My bad...shake it off...move on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trafxprt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry