Seth Thomas shipsbell dial

ClockDr2

New User
Dec 2, 2020
Country
Hi all,
I inherited this Seth Thomas Shipsbell from my father who had it since the 1960’s. It has always had this all brass polished dial (at least as far as I remember). Anyway, I got it running (115a movement dated December 1935). It’s running fast and I’m in the process of regulating it. My question, has anybody seen this all brass dial before? Was it possibly silver at some point and it was polished off? I find it attractive as all of my other shipsbells are all Silver. Any help would be appreciated. thx! Mark E5D3B0B2-34A0-4752-A4B9-3E12BD3E2502.jpeg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I think it would have been silvered originally, though I am not an expert on Seth Thomas clocks. It looks to have been very well polished over the years, even to the extent of removing most of the black from the maker's name at the bottom.

But if you like it, leave it as it is, it looks very well in brass.

JTD

Reactions: ClockDr2

ClockDr2

New User
Dec 2, 2020
Country
I think it would have been silvered originally, though I am not an expert on Seth Thomas clocks. It looks to have been very well polished over the years, even to the extent of removing most of the black from the maker's name at the bottom.

But if you like it, leave it as it is, it looks very well in brass.

JTD
Thx. I’m assuming the same. I always remember it as brass so either my dad polished it, or it was like that when he came upon it. Among the other bells in my house it certainly stands out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trikky2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-