Seth Thomas Ships Bell

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
This clock came in non-running. It looks like this clock was dropped as there is a dent on the rear bezel and two of the movement mounts are broken. I also believe that the balance staff is broken as the balance wheel wobbles and tilts. The clock is dirty and will likely need bushings for the barrels which I can do. I don't have any experience with hairsprings nor platform escapements so before I go any further, I'm looking for advice on how to proceed:

* I think that a new platform escapement is available which I'm leaning towards. Are these pretty straight forward to install?
* I could send the platform out for cleaning and repair.
* I believe that a new movement complete is available.

Thanks.

IMG_20210607_145417.jpg IMG_20210607_145411.jpg IMG_20210607_162258.jpg IMG_20210607_160945.jpg IMG_20210607_162107.jpg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The movement looks very much like the Hermle "Royal Mariner" movement. If that is true, a complete replacement is available at Mark Butterworth. The platform can also be bought new at Timesavers. The replacement platform is the better 11 Jewels Swiss made platform. The mainspring barrels can be bought complete with spring at Timesavers. The barrel without spring is also available as are the barrel caps.

Maybe somebody can confirm my impression that this is the Hermle made movement. I think the movement number is 322-071.

Replacing the platform should be easy. It is held by two screws. Just make sure to let down the mainsprings before you undo the platform.

Uhralt

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Uhralt,

Butterworth shows the Hermle movement, it is 132-071SG. It is good to know that the barrels are available. At this point, It is looking like a new movement after viewing the platform pricing (Yikes).

Thanks for your help, Vernon

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Movement price will be a "yikes" too. More than 3 Benjamin's, if available.

Willie X

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
I just took one of these apart (several times - a learning experience!) and have some insight. The 11 jewel movement can be bought cheaper, and with warranty on eBay. It will likely need to be shimmed out from the plate slightly to run properly - at least mine did. These can be a bear to work on, but you will certainly learn something. Coleman's book "The Best of J.E. Coleman, Clockmaker" has a whole chapter of articles on servicing these and how to get the ship's bell to strike properly, and it won't be the first article in the chapter that gives up that information. If you do decide to replace the movement with a new one and will sell the used one cheap - let me know. The clock will probably need bushings on the second wheel of both the going and strike train to run properly, and don't forget to service and lubricate the springs.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
S_Owsley
I had not considered sources outside of major trade suppliers, could be some value there! I'll pm. about the old movement if it goes that way. Thanks for the information!

Willie
Timesavers current hard copy catalogue price verses their website on the platform jumped over 50 percent!

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Uhralt,

Butterworth shows the Hermle movement, it is 132-071SG. It is good to know that the barrels are available. At this point, It is looking like a new movement after viewing the platform pricing (Yikes).

Thanks for your help, Vernon
Yes, that's the movement. Actually, Mark lists it as 132-071SE (Swiss Escapement).

Uhralt

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You can buy a nice modern chiming GF clock and a brand new movement for it, or a very nice antique mantle or wall clock, for around the price of this little (not so good) ships bell movement!
Ha, Willie X

Last edited:

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Well, I've got it apart and cleaned, pivots polished. The center shaft had a bend right at the pinion which required removing the wheel. I believe this was caused by the fall. I didn't notice any other issues beyond bushing work.
I'm putting my order together for a few things. I was thinking of getting One Dip to clean the new platform balance, does this sound advisable? Also, I have some 10 year old Nye watch oil to oil the platform balance. Should I use this or something different?

This clock has sentimental value. My labor and parts won't cost the owner anything.

Thanks!

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
Note sure about One Dip, but lighter fluid (or lantern fluid, aka naphthalene) is preferable I believe. It's to do with not dissolving the shellac that is sometimes used to hold the jewels in place.

Simon

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
I'm not an expert on platform balances, but why would you need to lubricate a new one? Wouldn't it come lubricated from the factory?

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Simon, I may have one of these alternative cleaners on hand. Thanks.

S_Owsley, You could be right, I may be making work for myself but if it wasn't oiled that would be a problem too. Maybe I'll ask the seller. Thanks

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
One Dip is expensive, but does a great job. It also evaporates quickly, so don't leave it out long term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timemaestro
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre