Seth thomas ship clock with external bell running too fast

eteo66

Mar 31, 2008
Hi,

I have the above clock. It is running too fast even though I have set the S-F setting all the way to slow. I have not worked on this type of clock before so can someone point me in the right direction? A book dealing with this clock would also be useful. Thanks!

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Most likely the balance spring (hairspring) is either magnetized or has one or more spirals cohereing (sticking together) due to magnetism or oil.

Other causes: balance spring pinned too short; wrong balance spring; regulator pins too close and not allowing balance spring to "breathe."

eteo66

Mar 31, 2008
Thanks Ekmill. How shall I go about repairing this? Is there a reference book for this type of movement? Thanks once again.

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
eteo66 said:
Thanks Ekmill. How shall I go about repairing this? Is there a reference book for this type of movement? Thanks once again.
I'm butting in, but first you need to determine which of the problems Les described is causing the problem. Check for magnetism with a compass, then come back with the results. We can start eliminating possibilities then :)

Cactus50

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2001
manor, Texas
Country
Region
The usual cause of this condition is a dirty works. Reduced power from the time train produces a low amplitude rotation of the balance wheel - which makes it run faster. The cure is simply to clean the movement and platform, paying close attention to the pivots and pivot holes for wear. Do not start by trying to "adjust" the platform.

eteo66

Mar 31, 2008
hi thanks but is there a book i can refer to? I have only worked on pendulum clocks before. I think this is a seth thomas no. 7 movement.

Tony Ambruso

Dec 2, 2005
www.azclocks.com
Yes, eteo, there is a book you can refer to for a S.T. no. 7. Steven Conover's "Striking Clock Repair Guide," page 69. You can obtain this book from many places, including the NAWCC gift shop, various horological suppliers (like Merritt's or TimeSavers); or you can visit the author's website Click Here.

eteo66

Mar 31, 2008
Tony said:
Yes, eteo, there is a book you can refer to for a S.T. no. 7. Steven Conover's "Striking Clock Repair Guide," page 69. You can obtain this book from many places, including the NAWCC gift shop, various horological suppliers (like Merritt's or TimeSavers); or you can visit the author's website Click Here.

Hi,

I do have this book but it mainly refers to the striking mechanism rather than the time movement. There is a rough line diagram showing the time movement. What I am looking for is a step by step dismantling guide. Is there one? thanks!

eteo66

Mar 31, 2008
Alternatively, is there a similar Seth thomas movement I can purchase and practise on? What number should I get?

Tony Ambruso

Dec 2, 2005
www.azclocks.com
eteo66 said:
Tony said:

Hi,

I do have this book but it mainly refers to the striking mechanism rather than the time movement. There is a rough line diagram showing the time movement. What I am looking for is a step by step dismantling guide. Is there one? thanks!
No, I do not believe there is any such manual. General disassembly is covered by some texts, but nothing specific for each type of clock. For example, general disassembly and cleaning is covered in Conover's "Clock Repair Basics."

The chapters in "Striking Clock Repair Guide" cover the most unique aspects of the specific clock. It's striking mechanism is that aspect for this clock. Otherwise, chapters would begin to get painfully redundant.

eteo66

Mar 31, 2008
Ok, I'm slowly giving it a go.

First off, how do I remove the second hand?

Do I simply pull it off carefully?

Thanks

Attachments

eteo66

Mar 31, 2008
Thanks. Is there a similar movement that I can practise on? If so, what number would that be? By the way, how old is the clock? Thanks

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
As far as the time side goes, you can get valuable practice with almost any movement that has a similar balance wheel escapement. But the information I have is that the Seth Thomas No. 7 ship's bells movement, at least the one in Steve Conover's book, uses a bell strike design that is significantly different from many other popular designs. So It would be best if you could find another No. 7. This is a relatively valuable clock, so I suggest that you consider having someone with experience get this one working for you, and if you want to practice working on clocks, possibly select a simpler and less valuable movement to experiment with.

Bob C.

eteo66

Mar 31, 2008
Hi Bob, thanks for your input. As the title says, its the time side I'm looking at rather than the bell strike side. I will at least take the dial off and look at the movement and probably send it in for repair. Thanks a lot!

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
srhuston
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions