Seth Thomas Ship Bell with electrical contacts

Calculagraph

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2020
New Jersey
Country
I recently acquired a Seth Thomas Ships Bell clock in the traditional round brass case with hinged door. The dial and movement are both marked Seth Thomas. Pictures of the movement (front and back) are attached. The movement is a platform escapement and while there is a mostly traditional strike train, there is a set of contacts on the count wheel.
I do not seem to be able to identify this movement but i need to find or fabricate a chiming mechanism for the clock. All I have is what you see.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

ST Ship Bell back.jpg ST Ships Bell.jpg

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Hi, just a guess but could this be a zig-zag course clock ?
Bruce

Calculagraph

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2020
New Jersey
Country
Bruce,
Thanks for the post. The count wheel is set up for traditional ship's watch (1 through 8 bells and repeat). The actuation mechanism is also typical half hour and hour strike. For whatever reason, there are electrical contacts that would actuate bells (maybe remotely). There is no place for a bell on this mechanism. I was hoping there was a power supply and chime generating attachment.

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
perhaps the mechanism, instead of striking, sends an electric impulse every 30 minutes to alter course and when finished manually is closed down ?
Bruce

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Calc!

There is currently a listing on a famous auction site for an old advertisement for Chelsea. In it, there is listed a remote bell. According to the ad, the clapper (or "tongue") of the bell is free, so that it can be rung as needed manually, but there is an electrical connection from the clock to the bell to ring the bell for ship's time.

Might be that this is something similar.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Calculagraph

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2020
New Jersey
Country
Thank you for your feedback. This is definitely not a zig-zag clock. The clock has a traditional striking train. The count wheel on the back of the movement that actuates the electrical contact is set up to actuate the contact and count the traditional ship bell sequence. I am missing the portion that the electrical contact actuates or deactivates

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I have moved this thread to the Electrical Horology forum to see if additional answers might be forthcoming.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Thank you for your feedback. This is definitely not a zig-zag clock. The clock has a traditional striking train. The count wheel on the back of the movement that actuates the electrical contact is set up to actuate the contact and count the traditional ship bell sequence. I am missing the portion that the electrical contact actuates or deactivates
I would think that there was only an external bell, driven by an electromagnet. You could use a battery and an electric door gong for testing.
Uhralt

Calculagraph

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2020
New Jersey
Country
Thanks, I am hoping I can find someone with the same clock to see what the "attachment" looks like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gil74
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent