Seth Thomas Sharon (E532-005) Questions

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Jeff-TX, Aug 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff-TX

Jeff-TX New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Retired from Silicon Valley management
    Covington, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings fellow friends of time,

My Client asked me to rebuild a Seth Thomas 'Sharon' electric steeple clock, model E532-005. The movement required really nothing more than a good cleaning. The clock now runs well, keeps good time, and chimes correctly. Nevertheless, curiosity compels me to ask...

1) What is the purpose of the knob exposed in the back of the clock? (Refer to the attached pic) It is associated with the chime train but turning it produces no discernable effect other than the ratchet going click-click-click. The clock chimes correctly on-the-hour and on-the-half.

2) In my research (hope against hope) to find a PDF of the owner's manual, I am perplexed by the model number stamped on the movement's rear plate - A305-002. (I assume the date code (7106) is directly below, indicating June 1971.) Interesting... this crosses over to a Hermle 3-spring mantel clock movement. Nowhere near directly applicable. Thoughts? Best guesses? Am I delusional?

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

IMG_20180819_134048086.jpg IMG_20180819_134143626_HDR.jpg IMG_20180819_134105307.jpg

2. Jeff-TX

Jeff-TX New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Retired from Silicon Valley management
    Covington, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    <Bump>
    Bumped this message in hopes that someone has information on what function this knob serves. It really is a mystery. In a perfect world, a copy of an owner's manual for this type of movement could be scanned. Any and all thoughts on the subject are appreciated. Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

3. Mike Heffernan

Mike Heffernan Registered User

Dec 18, 2010
    That movement uses a main spring to drive the chime train. That knob is an auxiliary wind for the chime spring. Thus the ratcheting.

4. samblust

samblust New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Feb, 2019. I just picked up one if these via eBay. Movement dated 6810. Very cheap. Can I to say 19.99 and I was the only bidder? Seems be little interest in electric, corded clocks. Plugged it in, started right up, seems to keep pretty much perfect time. Also have wind up striking Sharon. Very pretty and good timekeeper. This A305-002 electric movement from what I read here seems to be similar to a Sangamo movement. Electric, self winding spring movement. I too have found no information on this one. Doesn't really surprise me as I see a distinct lack of info on the later Seth Thomas stuff . Looking in the back hole the stamped in legend has the look of Hermle. I also see bushes. This thing might last forever!