• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Seth Thomas Sector Clock

BillyinNM

Mar 7, 2009
Hi All,

this is my first post here on NAWCC - though I've been collecting military timepieces for 8 years. I recently purchased a Seth Thomas US Air Corps Sector Clock. According to the very small amount of information to be found on the internet and Konrad Knirim's new book "British Military Timepieces" these Seth Thomas Sector Clocks were the same model as the US Navy bulkhead clock, with a face segmented as the RAF Sector clock. To be used in the same manner as the RAF Sector clocks.

e460_1.gif

During my search for information I came across a webpage which noted that the NAWCC purchased from Seth Thomas their collection of historical records, drawings, photographs, advertisements and documents. I hope is to find more information about these clocks from these archives.​

Any help, advice, or leads will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.​

Kind Regards,​

Billy​

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Billy great to see you here.
Have you contacted the NAWCC about your clock?
I like it and am envious of it, i think it is unusual as i have not seen many of these.

BillyinNM

Mar 7, 2009
Hi Kevin,

thanks very much for the warm welcome ! I was hoping to either uncover some information here, or that perhaps someone here would be able to recommend where or to whom @ NAWCC to send a request for information ?

I did find that aeroclocks.com has a CD-book, which includes photos of these clocks actually in use. It will be a week before the CD will arrive here and I have a feeling that the Seth Thomas archives (now owned by NAWCC) will have information yet to be unearthed (or at least published).

Many thanks again - your time and consideration are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Billy

BillyinNM

Mar 7, 2009
Is there anyway to date a Seth Thomas clock (using movement serial number or ?) ?

Many thanks for any help or leads to where I can find more information / how to date this clock.

Best Regards,

Billy

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Billy, if you click on "library" at the top of the page, the link should take you to where you can post a research question. It is a free service for members, $5.00 per request for non-members.
Some Seth Thomas movements are code dated, but not all. Good luck with your quest.

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
Hi, Billy.

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, your clock (other than the face design and the color of the hands) appears to be basically identical to a Seth Thomas ship's clock I just picked up in an antique store a week or so ago. (Probably what you're calling the US Navy bulkhead clock).

Attached are a few photos. I found the logo on the back curious. It appears to be a "GE" logo (General Electric). I'm wondering if they were involved in the making (or development/invention) of the bakelite case.

(Also, Billy: From your user ID it sounds like you're in New Mexico. What part? I grew up in Raton. Also check out the writing on the ruler I'm using for scale in some of my photos!)

Take care,
John

Attachments

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Since the GE logo is actually embossed in the case, I think probably they manufactured it. But I think GE also had a ship-building operation.

BillyinNM

Mar 7, 2009
Billy, if you click on "library" at the top of the page, the link should take you to where you can post a research question. It is a free service for members, $5.00 per request for non-members.
Some Seth Thomas movements are code dated, but not all. Good luck with your quest.
Thanks very much Harold - I just joined the NAWCC this morning (about time I think) and have contacted the curator for the museum, as I believe an identical clock to my example hangs in the gallery there. I apprecaite your help !

Best Regards,

Billy

BillyinNM

Mar 7, 2009
Hi John,

from the few resouces I've dug up it appears that the clock I'm researching is identical to the US Navy clock with the exception of the obvious dial changes. This type of clock (again according to a few resources) were used by the USAAF during WWII in the same manner as the RAF Sector clocks.

I've just joined the NAWCC this morning and hope to discover more information with the assistance of the archives available to members. In addition I'm waiting for the arrival of Lt. Col R.C. Gardner's eBook reviews RAF clocks (and apparently has a small section on the USAAF sector clocks).

I appreciate the warm welcome ! I'm located in Gallup N.M. (a tiny outpost of humanity) - about 130 miles west of Albuquerque.

Thanks again and Kind Regards,

Billy

P.S. beautiful clock you have !

Hi, Billy.

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, your clock (other than the face design and the color of the hands) appears to be basically identical to a Seth Thomas ship's clock I just picked up in an antique store a week or so ago. (Probably what you're calling the US Navy bulkhead clock).

Attached are a few photos. I found the logo on the back curious. It appears to be a "GE" logo (General Electric). I'm wondering if they were involved in the making (or development/invention) of the bakelite case.

(Also, Billy: From your user ID it sounds like you're in New Mexico. What part? I grew up in Raton. Also check out the writing on the ruler I'm using for scale in some of my photos!)

Take care,
John

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Welcome aboard, Billy:thumb::thumb::thumb:. Update this thread if you find anything interesting about your clock.

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

National Library Chair
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Sussex New Jersey USA
www.hsn161.com
Country
Region
THE BOOK YOU REALLY WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THESE CLOCKS IS:

# Title: History of RAF Clocks
SubTitle: [an e-book on CD-ROM]
# Author: Robert C. Gardner
# Publisher: Author
Keywords: clock
Other Keywords: military RAF Royal airforce british sector
Language: ENG
Notes: The History of clocks purchased and used by the Britisch Royal Air Force ( RAF ) on a CD ROM containing abook that can be printed out onto 169 pages, with over 200 color illustrations.
Edition: 2007 -- Copyright: 2007
Kind: DATA
Type: Clock (general)
Geographic area: United Kingdom
Topic: History
Organization: NA/other
Pages: 169
Print Status: 1 (1 means in print - 2 means out of print)
Entered By: FMM
BHM ID: 11195

iF YOU SEARCH THE ONLINE CATALOG OF THE NAWCC LIBRARY at

http://www.nawcc.us/winnebago/index.asp

you will find that the library has two copies of the book, so you as a member can actually borrow one through the mail just by paying postage.

The call number for the book is:

DK 200 Gar 2007

Good luck with your further research