Seth Thomas round top with alarm

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Rockin Ronnie, Jul 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Would anyone know the exact date of this clock?

It is a Seth Thomas 8-day round top with alarm with a cast iron bell. It has a lyre movement and it is pinned rather than held together with screws. The movement is die-stamped Plymouth and the label is Thomaston so, made some time after 1865. It has the stop works which are often missing.

When did ST replace pinned movements with screws?

Works fairly well but the strike side needs adjusting and the alarm bell spring is broken. Needs servicing.

And the veneer. Looks like Rosewood to me but I could be wrong.

Is there a special way to set up the alarm upon reassembly?

Ron

RS round top (1).JPG RS examining movement (7).JPG RS examining movement (4).JPG

2. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And another question. As the alarm spring is broken can it be sourced from a supplier?

Ron

3. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My guess is that the veneer is rosewood. There's nothing special about setting up the alarm, the lever on the left simply falls into a notch behind the alarm disc which drops the wire and triggers the alarm. I think you will be really surprised at how loud the alarm is, and it continues until the spring winds down, no sleep feature.

My spring was intact so I don't know it's dimensions, but Perrins sells springs down to 450 mm so you should be able to find something close. The age must be around 1870-1875, nice one.
    Don

4. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Don

Narrowing the year to about 1870, sound about right?

Ron