Seth thomas regulator with alarm function

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by anurag, Jun 1, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. anurag

anurag Registered User

Feb 4, 2015
    Male
    India
    Country Flag:
    #1 anurag, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    IMG-20160601-WA0019.jpg IMG-20160601-WA0020.jpg IMG-20160601-WA0021.jpg IMG-20160601-WA0022.jpg Please refer to the pictures of a seth thomas regulator with skeleton dial and alarm function... any information would be appreciated...the dial is original but body is slightly polished...

i saw one on ebay but the body was different as it had fancy medallions embossed on the body but it had the same skeleton dial and it was said to be dating back to 1800s...they are said to be scarce...

any information on this clock will be appreciated. the movement picture is not available as of now but will try to get...

thanks

2. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You have a "drop Octagon" that dates from around 1920, the dial you refer to a a skeleton, is simply a dial with the center cut our for the alarm dial. They came like yours with the alarm and strike only, no particularly scarce.

3. anurag

anurag Registered User

Feb 4, 2015
    Male
    India
    Country Flag:
    Ok Now i understand the cut out is for the alarm...thanks for the information and the dating... information is quite helpful...

4. anurag

anurag Registered User

Feb 4, 2015
    Male
    India
    Country Flag:
    IMG-20160601-WA0038.jpg the movement picture is attached. any more comments on the dating and condition of the clock are welcome.
    thanks

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I see no obvious reason why this shouldn't be an original movement. Part of the stopworks seem to be missing.

JTD

6. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree it's an original movement, and yes the upper stopworks wheel is missing, it won't affect the running of the clock.

7. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw many of these coming to the USA from India in shipments, maybe 15-20 years ago....they were original Seths made in this style and other drop octagon styles for the Indian market...original marked movements but some had cases that were made of wood not like many of the ones made for the US market...I never saw an oak one in the shipments but saw many dark wood, not mahogany or walnut cases....