Seth Thomas Regulator No. 2 question

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Walt Wilson, Jun 14, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Walt Wilson

Walt Wilson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Male
    Engineer/Scientist
    Huntsville, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen or heard somewhere that General Time once released a commerative Regulator No. 2. If this is true, how closely did this mimic the original? I have just brought home what appears to be a pristine example of a Reg. No. 2 but some things about it seem almost too new and fresh. The mvmt is marked with the ST logo and a number. It is the rectangular mvmt rather than the trapezoidal mvmt. The dial is on a fairly thick steel disc and looks almost new but the printing reminds me of a modern print press. Thanks for any info... Walt

2. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Walt, Seth Thomas Clock Co. became a division of General Time in in 1931. General Time became a division of Talley Industries in 1970. There is an article in the October, 1988 NAWCC Bulletin edited by Paul Heffner regarding reproduction Seth Thomas No. 2 clocks. It states, "Early in 1976 I accepted an offer from the Seth Thomas Co. for a Seth Thomas No. 2 Regulator. It was to be built as a part of our country's bicentennial celebration and there were to be only 4000 made." The article suggests that the movements in these clocks were made in Germany by Hermle with escape wheel and verge subcontracted to India. The article suggests methods for correcting flaws in the movements of these clocks. It is entirely possible that there were other sources of #2 repros. I know many parts for these clocks are still available. David "owen.or"

3. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It sounds like a Seth Thomas #2 Re-issue.
    The thick dial, movement with the large S-T and a numeral are examples of the reissue....
    An original rectangle #2 movement would have either no markings, or the small Seth Thomas logo in a diamond....

They made 4000 of these and were supposed to have a label in the bottom indicating what number of the 4000 that particular clock was.

Solid oak, heavy...plywood backboard when you look at the top and phillips head screws unless someone changed them to fake an old look.

Still a nice clock.

4. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry David,
    We must have been typing a the same time.

5. eclecticbeat

eclecticbeat Registered User

Jul 13, 2007
    39°59'1"N 75°48'60"W
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Walt,
    According to Tran Du Ly - In 1976 there was 4000 factory re-issues produced. 1880's style #2, with weight visible, 12 inch Roman numeral dial in the fancy tri-shaped bottom case. The cases are a very nice copy but reported slightly taller, measuring 36 inches instead of 34.
    There was and still is other sources for #2 reproductions. There are at least two companies making and selling them today but with Arabic numerals on the dial.

http://www.crescentclock.com/

http://bradleywoodworks.com/index.html

6. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Attached is a picture of a "Re-Issue" movement for a #2....sometime the ST and the numerals are on the upper side of the movement instead of the lower.
    I have had 7 or 8 of these over the years and at one point bought 3 still in their packing boxes that had been stored in someone's closet. They originally came with brochures and a pendulum tiedown made of wood.

Attached Files:

7. Walt Wilson

Walt Wilson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Male
    Engineer/Scientist
    Huntsville, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all very much. From your answers and pics I can identify the clock as one of the GT (Talley) repros, it being 36 inches from tip to tail, and the mvmt looking nearly identical to the posted one. The dial is Roman which leaves out the contemporary repros, ergo I assume I have one of the 4K originally issued in 1976. I am pleased to have it as I have already an very nice original with trap plates. The price was right at an estate sale, well under 500 clams, and I probably have done no damage to myself. I only wish the paper was in the bottom with the sequence number of the clock.. Thanks again... Walt ... PS my true gem was found also at this same estate sale and I am going to post a question on that clock also... Walt

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I reopen this to ask a question based on something I saw the other day. It was what appeared to be a reissue No. 2, but the movement, which was like the one shown above, was marked H-T Clock-Makers, Inc, NYC on the front plate. On the back plate, was the dreaded word Korea. I had thought the movements for the reissue were made in Germany, however, they may be marked. Did the Koreans make a knock off of the No. 2, perhaps in competition with the reissue?

9. curly

curly Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 17, 2001
    retired
    Northern Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not really an answer to your question, but I have a partial movement in my parts bin that has HT clockmakers New York and what may have said Korea on the backplate has been obscured by an engraving tool. I don't know what kind of case this came out of but I have heard of #2 style cases made in Korea. I have not seen one close up, only pictures and they appear to be vary similiar to the Seth Thomas #2's.

Curly

10. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seven T.,
    The Reissue #2 mvts were not made in Korea.
    Reproduction cases could have what ever movement they put into them.
    Many people call reproductions Reissues.....
    See the post by Clockpoor on his #5.

11. salvtrinny

salvtrinny Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 13, 2012
    My ST reissue looks exactly like the movement pictured, large S T under that is 61 then, A 414-000, finally 7703, Were these reissues still being made after 1976? And mine has no label. has the thick metal dial, phillips screws hold the dial, and also the stick behind the dial, and also phillip screws mount the cast movement bracket in place

12. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Salvtrinny, welcome to the message board.
    I wonder if Hermle continued making these movements for a few years after the official Seth Thomas re-issue? I would guess that they must have made more than just the 4,000 movements required by Seth Thomas, going by Inbeat's findings of loose movements.

13. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harold...they also put this same movement in the factory made Regulator #6 reissues....4000 made supposedly. I have owned three of these over the years and all had the same movements as the reissue #2.

14. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a picture of my Reissue Label;

Attached Files:

15. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    inbeat - have you had any issues with the movements in the repros? did you have to mess with them much? thx...