Seth Thomas Regulator No. 14 - Suspension and Returns

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
I recently acquired this Seth Thomas beauty; however, it is missing the top and the suspension spring is broken. I have identified someone that can build the top; however, there is a question:

o Does someone have a good photo of the returns (sides of the top) that would show the structure? Could you point me to someone or a location where there might be one?

There is a second issue; that being the suspension spring which is broken. I have seen two different versions of a spring by combing the few photos available of this model. The one that I have that is broken measures .006 thick. The weight with this clock is HEAVY with a wooden rod. It appears that it is one of the earlier models of the Regulator 14.

o Does someone know what the correct suspension is for this clock? Is .006 too thin? Should it be thicker?

Thank you

P1040086.JPG
P1040087.JPG

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You should probably caliper the existing spring's thickness and match it. Can't help with the pics needed.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I agree with SB. If you don’t already have a set, Lowe’s or anyplace that sells tools will have a decent digital caliper/mic for 20 bucks or so. I use mine for all sorts of things clock and gun-related, and it will definitely save you some guesswork and the resulting headaches. Well worth the investment. Not sure what parts are missing on the clock, but I think it looks great as is. Nice find!

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I th
You should probably caliper the existing spring's thickness and match it. Can't help with the pics needed.
I think we both missed it; he did the mic already and got .006. If that’s what was on there originally, that is what I would start with. I don’t think the spring broke because it was too thin; my guess is someone moved the clock at some point without unhooking the pendulum first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller