Seth Thomas Regulator #2

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by inbeat, Jul 25, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My name is Jim and I am a Seth Thomas #2aholic. Back from vacation in San Diego with another #2 Seth Thomas. Nothing special, just a #2. I have possibly owned 75 of these or more over the past 30 years and currently now have 2 original and 2 Seth made "re-issues" from the 1970's. These clocks are so nicely designed that they just stand out when on the wall in your home.

Attached Files:

2. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock JJ. I was going to say that you have sold more than you bought and they still come home to roost. Nice find. Mike

3. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I always have a keeper Mike...but usually have spare pieces/parts for them if I need them.

4. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jim,

Nice clock!

I have always wanted a #2 and feel as if I don't know enough about them to plunk down the bucks to get one. I guess I consider them the 57 Chevy of the clock world, recognizable, reliable, respected. :thumb:

I have had several questions for a while and maybe you could help me with them or point me in a direction to find my answers.

I have heard that there is a difference in the size if the case between the original and the reissue, is that correct and what are the numbers?

Did ST ever use an unmarked movement?

What features of the case can help me figure out the date?

Still looking for my first,
    Walt

5. MQ32shooter

MQ32shooter Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great find Jim. Wish I could have kept my No. 2, but the wife was in a bad mood the day I brought it home. She said "you better have bought that for resale"!! :mad:So, like the "weanie" I am, I said, I sure did and it was gone in a week. :mad: But, on a more positive note, I know you are a ST freak. Yesterday, I bought a ST World with the 86W, 30 day movement. Man I love those big ST movements. Took it straight to the office and hung it there so I could enjoy it without any commentary from the little woman. :D

6. MQ32shooter

NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Walt, just saw your question about if all of the ST movements were marked. Mine was not, however I had to talk to Jim (Inbeat) for his input when I bought mine as he is the Seth Thomas No. 2 expert on the board. He can probably tell you what years they were not marked, then when they started marking them. He is a wealth of knowledge on the ST's.

7. Walt Wallgren

NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, MQ

Yeah, I hope he notices and comes back. If not, I guess I will have to PM him or maybe start another thread. Maybe the questions I have might be shared by others.

Walt

8. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recall a few years ago someone here was making up a chart that showed the different case styles and dates when changes were made on the #2's, but I can't find the thread with a quick search. Perhaps someone with more time than I have today might be able to find it.
    Mel, nice find. I also enjoy these big 86 movements, easy to work on, and quite robust.:thumb:

9. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Building Official
    Manassas, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The ST #2 id chart can be found at Mackeysclockrepair.com. Click on Clock Makers History, then click on Set Thomas #2 regulator Identification. The chart can be found on other sites as well.

10. MQ32shooter

NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the link Brian. Good information.

11. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I really like the 86 movement in my grandfather clock. I know how easy it can be to get hooked to them. A no 2 or a World clock would sure be a nice find, one day i hope. For the money i cant see buying a repro. Maybe ok for some,. but for me i want the real thing.

12. Walt Wallgren

NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Brian,

I will check it out in the morning.

Walt

13. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just a quick answer...Early rectangle S/T #61 movements were not marked...always unmarked with the clocks with three piece "bowtie"...later #61 were marked....all trapazoid 77, 77A, 77B, etc, were marked. The mark was Seth THomas logo and usually made in USA.....I currently have where I can see them, a reissue #2, a #2 with the 61 movement and a #2 with the 77B movement....all are the same size. The reissue looks just like the #2 with the 61 movement because that is the one that they copied. The movement in the reissue does not have the Seth logo, but does have a large number 61 on it. Hope this helps...BtW, the guide that we are talking about is a good start but is not totally accurate.

14. Walt Wallgren

NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Jim,

Collecting a few more pieces of the puzzle does help the old confidence level and with what I have learned in the last several days, makes me feel a bit safer when looking a supposed #2's.

Walt

15. jere dorough

jere dorough Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Good info in this thread

I have what I think is an "early" ST#2 with an unmarked rectangular movement, the label is the same as on my Umbria. Also have either a Plymouth Hollow ST#2 or maybe it's an ST#1. Don't know how to tell which model it is.

inbeat likes this.
  16. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The early S/T #2's did have an unmarked rectangle movement.

17. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jere
    I believe the early #2's did not have a seconds bit and hand, the #1's always had the seconds bit.

18. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is another thread right now on determining the age of a #2 that might be helpful as it includes a link to the identification guide. It has certainly been enlightening to me.

19. jere dorough

jere dorough Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    thanks for info about seconds hand. the dial on my st#1/st#2 does not have a second hand, but the movement does have a second hand post (pic attached). maybe i've bought a lemon

st #1 plymouth hollow.jpg