American Seth Thomas Regulator 2 identification?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by turboflyer, Mar 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. turboflyer

turboflyer Registered User

Feb 17, 2016
    Male
    Retired, retired, and just tired
    Country Flag:
    After much reading here I have my eyes set on one these clocks. The iterations do get confusing. Great references to identify age by case, wood and yes even Phillips screws. Is it possible that a movement would exist without any markings or numbers on the plates? Am I correct there were four models, 61, 77, 77A, and 77B. Is it safe to assume that the movement is not authentic if these numbers are not present? Don’t have the resources to make this kind of mistake. As always thanks for helping a new guy out.

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    start here: Antique Clocks Guy: We bring antique clocks collectors and buyers together. Always the highest quality antique clocks available.

and then peruse the ST2 identification chart you’ll find linked at the bottom of that page.

the regulator 2 was made for a very long time and is one of the most collected...and counterfeited... clocks out there. most of the parts are interchangeable (and reproduced) and there are very few that come w supporting provenance

at the end of the day (for me) it’s a combination of gut feel, small details and price... the more you look, the more you’ll see... and be able to see. if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. not all movements (especially the older 61) were marked. not all cases had the mfg date stenciled on the back... and i’ve seen lots of bogus stencils. if the dial is not flaking, it’s new... or has been repainted. that bothers some people, not me so much.

there are folks on this forum who might give you there opinion on a particular clock via private message, but we are not supposed to discuss active sale items.

hope that helps,
    b

Dave T likes this.