seth thomas regulator 1 w/ terry movement

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by bruce linde, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:31 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    gang - the clock just arrived... paid a guy to transport it from ashland oregon. he picked it up yesterday and delivered it today. because the seller was unable to pull the weight before transport i had him pull the pendulum and told him that once he took it off the wall it should be kept at a slight incline.... so he built a packing case that kept it at in incline... see photos. i guess when you're a cabinet maker everything looks like a cabinet! :cool: i wish he hadn't put the blue painters tape on wood parts, but no damage was done.

i'm going to post a bunch of photos as it arrived... filthy, but to my eye in really nice condition.

two questions:

- did these come without painted tablets? i.e., plain lower door glass?
    - do we think the '7-77' stamped on the back of the movement is an ST date stamp?

01_packed.jpg 02_packed2.jpg 03_inside_packing.jpg 04_blue_tape.jpg 05_angle.jpg 06_bottom.jpg 07_label_through_glass.jpg 08_dial_through_bezel_glass.jpg 09_back_of_door_glass.jpg 10_receipt.jpg

Wayne A likes this.
  2. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    here are some more photos of the innards... note the one-side-scalloped gears.... i didn't notice them until i started cleaning them. do you think they turned them like that? pressed them like that? hmmm....

movement_in_case.jpg parts.jpg gears_scalloped.jpg escape_wheel_front.jpg escape_wheel_back.jpg no_front_plate_2.jpg no_front_plate.jpg

and, here are some quick videos....

Dave T likes this.
  5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #5 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Jul 1, 2020 at 3:58 AM
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 4:04 AM
    Nice clock!

It's been a long time since I've seen one in person, so I apologize if on some points I misspeak.

Bracket looks good. Some minor veneer loses and lifting. The bracket is one of those points of vulnerability on these. They are damaged, missing or replaced. A look from behind is revealing.

Good hands.

As you know, ST dials of tend to be flakey, often leading to being repainted. To me, yours looks quite good.

Interesting round plate movement designed by one of my favorite people, S.B. Terry.

Gotta love the weight baffle with one of the nicest labels and printed beat scales I've seen.

Bob and stick look good to me, too. Not usual for the stick to break needing repair and replacement

While it's true that some of the ST weight driven wall regulators had clear glasses, e.g., the later # 2's and the #3's, pretty sure the glass in your #1 would not. See Tran's books book, page 109. IMCO, the decoration is a major aspect of this clocks visual impact and appeal. Would consider getting a good quality repop which won't be cheap but I think worth it. The actual piece of glass show show evidence of being 19th century. Can't tell if retaining strips disturbed.

I also believe that there MIGHT a wood brace across the head of the clock. Had a hole for the seconds arbor and through which the dial screwed through the 2 small holes. Again, it's been a long time since I've seen the innards of one of those, so I would defer to others on that. Maybe not.

All in all, I see a nice find.

Enjoy!

RM

S_Owsley likes this.
  6. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    it does have the support piece... had the photo in a different spot

C340D4A1-8851-40F2-8159-20CAEEC58A44.jpeg

i’m in talks w moberg about the tablet... but i do like it as is. :cool:

Kevin W. likes this.
  7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great looking clock. I really like it. Movements looks simple or fairly simple to work on. I am a Seth Thomas fan, and i really like the regulators.

8. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was expecting the movement to be less refined than the later 61 found in the seth Thomas regulator twos, but it’s quite impressive. has anyone seen/noticed the (what i’m calling) scalloped gears before? Jim DuBois ?

9. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 ... what do you think of the date stamp on the back of the movement?

guess i'll see if i can find more info on the terry movements....

10. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess I would call the wheels "dished" myself. Even though this is a Seth Thomas clock, the movement is most likely out of the shop of S.B.Terry. Examples exist of that movement in his labeled cases and I think I recall reading someplace that Terry sold out the rights to the regulator style #1 and #3 cases and provided movements for them for at least a short period of time. S.B was always off doing something strange. Here is one of my favorites, and no, it isn't mine. This one was an earlier effort than your clock/movement. The dished wheels are not common, I have only seen such a couple of times.

sb terry 1.jpg sb terry 2.jpg s b terry 3.jpg

bruce linde likes this.
  11. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I think the "7-77" may be the date someone serviced the movement (July 1977?). The date looks scratched in post production. There also seem to be initials following it (?).

12. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    if we go with thomaston labels as of 1865, and a scratched on service date of 1877 and split the difference that would make it 1871... call it 1870 because of the pinned plates?

13. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    You are referring to this?

s.b. terry date stamp.PNG

First of all, looks like a scratched number, not a stamp.

Also, doesn't really look like a date. To me looks like "7-77-1R". I can only speculate. Repairer's mark? A maker's mark?

S.B.T. also contributed a square plate skeletonized movement for use in ST time and strike wall regulators. See Tran, page 108.

Also see:

ST #1 Extra T&S

It's very similar if not identical to the one he used in his scarce "sleigh fronts". Here's another thread:

Another S.B. Terry

Here's some teaser pix:

s.b. terry sleigh front.jpg s.b. terry sleigh front movement.jpg

Lee Davis also discusses this very clock in his Bulletin Supplement on empire clocks.

RM

14. ImPondering

ImPondering Registered User

Jul 12, 2013
    Region Flag:
    Very nice regulator!

And I agree: Gotta love the weight baffle with one of the nicest labels and printed beat scales I've seen.

I also own a #1 with the round Terry movement. Gave it a wind this morning. Nice sounding movement and a hell of a weight to drive it.

15. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thank you... i wiped it down and put some beeswax on it.... that wood was really dried out and it soaked the wax right up... and got a little darker.

i continue to be struck the excellent condition this thing is in.... EXCEPT for the bezel lock. the clock didn’t come w a key for the bezel so i very carefully made one that fit... only to find that nothing happened when i turned it, as there were no innards. i’m now working on something i think might work.

in the meantime, i have given tom moberg the go-ahead to make up a proper tablet. it will probably take a couple of months.

BE427DFD-C764-42A0-B92F-DB82173FA5FA.jpeg

16. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    The case is rosewood veneered. Prior to your waxing, it did look a rather bleached and washed out. Rosewood is a rich dark wood with a dark graining. That it darkened with waxing makes the color closer to what I would expect and consider appropriate. Like your choice of beeswax rather than something like the often recommended commercial oils or finish "renewers". Beeswax is a very traditional choice for waxing furniture.

Good that the veneer has not flaked much. That seems to often happen where the veneer has to make a tight turn, like the bezel. Looks like the grain is raised? I wonder if that occurred when someone refinished the clock at some point. Another reason to try to avoid refinishing.

The tablet is a very significant aspect of the visual impact of this clock. Good you have engaged the services of one of the consummate professionals to provide it. Hopefully, the actual piece of glass in the clock is old so that the design can be replicated on it. I think the ripples of old glass contribute to the visual appeal of old tablets.

RM

17. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    touché bruce linde! nice find.

18. Jmeechie

Jmeechie Registered User
    NAWCC Member