• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

seth thomas regulator 1 tablet design ?

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
looks like i'm getting a seth thomas no. 1... it's in lovely condition but has plain glass in the lower door. i'm going to have tom moberg make me up something proper.

in the meantime, i'm wondering if anyone knows the symbolism of the design? is that a star of david in the middle?

here's a rough version from what i could find online.

asdfasdf.jpg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
yup, been through just about every thread i could find on the MB, and various auction sites.

the one i'm buying has a seconds hand and plain glass in the lower door.

once i get it i will be able to assess if that's the way it came... but will still probably have moberg make up a new tablet.

was thinking (hoping!) Jim DuBois or inbeat might be able to comment.

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
I don't know what else it could be, or it's significance to the No. 1 regulator. I'd like to think there is a good story behind it.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
There is a fairly wide range of gold-leafed lower glasses in these related clocks. From other information on hand, we can conclude the clockmakers would provide special order details for clocks ordered in some quantity. Railroad clocks for example. Or clocks for municipalities and the like. It is doubtful that one-offs would be offered directly from Seth Thomas. I would think that some of the various resellers would be more flexible on providing a special glass. But, in the example shown, it is quite like several other but slightly different examples we can find. So, I suspect the glass painters/gilders sort of worked from a library of images and did not want them all to be the same.

a824a48be6c77fcbb9cb191c37e825da.jpg seth thomas 1 6.jpg 36725636_1_l.jpg 26270898_1_l.jpg 19400790_1_l.jpg seth thomas 1 4.jpg seth thomas 1 3.jpg seth thoomas 1 2.jpg seth thomas 1.jpg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I think ours is like Jim's 4th picture - no star, but it does have a cool little hot air ballon floating above the buildings.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
first off, thanks for the responses. second, i'm going to be kind of pissed if all of those clocks are jim's... just not fair. :)

i like the design with the star of david because it's a little wider than taller, and shows both the pendulum bob and rod in motion.

S_Owsley suggested it was perhaps masonic... i did some research and waded through a bunch of bogus theories (it IS the internet, after all!). essentially, though, the symbol is old and was used by muslims, christians and hindus, adopted by the jews... it denotes power, or the intersection of masculine and feminine, etc. it was indeed also used by the freemasons.

the clock is hopefully getting picked up today or tomorrow for transport across state lines... i think the seller has prepared and wrapped it appropriately, i hope the transporter is not jason statham, and i look forward to getting it! :)

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
by the way.... mine has a second hand and clear glass in the lower door.... i thought i read somewhere that might be original... did they make them with clear glass? or did they always have the gold-leaf tablets?

here's a mockup of mine with what it would look like with a moberg tablet.... quick and dirty:

st_tablet_side_by_side.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
he just did a pillar and scroll tablet for me, and is about to do this one.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
just got the new tablet from tom moberg... did his usual top-notch job and also found a great piece of glass.

image_51.jpg

Reactions: RAK and PatH

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
tom moberg
2323 vanderkarr road
owosso, michigan 48867
989 723-3112

i believe he saves all of his artwork, so tell him he did mine in july of 2020 (if you like what he and i came up with)

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
Talked to Tom today, Nov 1, 2021. He's still alive an kicking. Says he is doing back-painted glass, although on a reduced volume due to semi-retirement.

The main thing he warned me about was the price of gold has almost doubled in the last year !! As you might guess, this has forced his finished price up substantially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidEckman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-