Seth Thomas question

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Redwood Ken, Apr 4, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Redwood Ken

Redwood Ken New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Felton, CA
    Region Flag:
    Can anyone identify this clock that I just inherited? It is an 8 day wind with an 89AL movement.

Attached Files:

2. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ken and welcome to the Message Board!

It is odd that your clock doesn't show up in Tran Duy Ly's "Seth Thomas Clocks" book but we do occasionally find one that isn't in there. I did locate a miniature version of your clock in the book (page 723, 3rd ed., vol. 2) called the "Chester Mini", ca. 1913 which implies there's a "Chester" which isn't a miniature.

Sometimes you can find the model name on a label; either on the bottom of the case or inside the back door.

So, until someone posts with better information, I'd say your clock is an early 1900's Seth Thomas "Chester" model. :)

3. Redwood Ken

Redwood Ken New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Felton, CA
    Region Flag:
    Thanks - There are no labels, etc anywhere on the clock, other than the 89AL on the movement, However, there is the following stamped into the wood on the bottom: C,5.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I would say it is the Mezzo, from ca. 1921 - ref. Tran's 3d ed. ST, vol. 2, page 730, picture 2488. It had both hour and half-hour strike, cathedral bell, convex 5-inch dial and convex glass, 9.5" high, 17" at the base.

5. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ahhh... I think Steven T found it! I just didn't look far enough and quit when I thought I was at the novelty clocks.

Good job Steven!

6. Redwood Ken

Redwood Ken New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Felton, CA
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, again - I do not have access to any of Tran's books. Is it possible for someone to scan that image (Tran's 3d ed. ST, vol. 2, page 730, picture 2488). and e-mail it to me. My e-mail should be shown in my profile section.

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Ken: Since we have general permission to use Tran's books here on the MB, I will post it here and avoid the hazards of e-mail.

8. Redwood Ken

Redwood Ken New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Felton, CA
    Region Flag:
    Got it - Thanks. It is very close, except the hands on mine have the "S" on the minute and the "T" on the hour as part of the shap. Also the words Seth Thomas are much smaller on my face and there is an adjustment hole above the "6". The shape of the outside end of the curved parts on mine is squared off, while the book's photo shows rounded ends.

This is the best information I have, so I am going with it. Thank you.