Seth Thomas Quartzmatic Clock

Movementman

Oct 30, 2012
I bought this clock off of eBay in April of 2014 for $24. I found it a bit unusual because it uses 2 C cell batteries to power it and has a small synchronous motor in it instead of a stepper motor to run it. It is manually started by pushing in the set knob after setting the time. It runs very smooth and of course has an extremely smooth moving second hand. It does make a bit of noise but when the back door is on it is hardly noticeable unless you listen right next to it. I believe that it is from 1974, and is very accurate. I figured that I would start a new post about it because it seemed to spike some interest on the quartz clock post. I can add more pictures if needed.
attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

Ontime

Nov 6, 2012
Nice looking clock.... These earlier quartz clocks seem to be gaining in collector interest - the quality is often quite nice. Ten years ago I found a circa 1970 modernist shelf clock simply labeled 'Boston' on it's dial. Beveled glass, applied brass numerals & walnut case make it a darn nice clock that has run perfectly..... just needs a C battery every 3 years.

I'm hoping some will publish a guide to these 1960's & 70's clocks that includes the development of the quartz movement.

Movementman

Oct 30, 2012
Nice looking clock.... These earlier quartz clocks seem to be gaining in collector interest - the quality is often quite nice. Ten years ago I found a circa 1970 modernist shelf clock simply labeled 'Boston' on it's dial. Beveled glass, applied brass numerals & walnut case make it a darn nice clock that has run perfectly..... just needs a C battery every 3 years.

I'm hoping some will publish a guide to these 1960's & 70's clocks that includes the development of the quartz movement.
I am not usually a collector of quartz clocks, but the older quartz clocks do interest me. Older battery clocks in general interest me so I look for them often. I usually collect and fix electric clocks but the older quartz clocks do find a place here. I would be very interested if someone did publish a guide on quartz movements and restoration of them, too.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jr webster
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions