• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Seth Thomas Prospect 0 strike mechanism screwed up.....

Don1965

Jun 27, 2021
Country
Hey Guy's! I know you like photos but I will uploaded them on Monday. I just purchased a Seth Thomas Prospect 0 clock. I am working on the rate now. My biggest issue is the strike mechanism. It is so screwed up. At first it was striking correctly on the half hour. Now it is not. The clock strikes everywhere now. Example: If at 2 PM it strikes at 10 PM. I fix the minute hand. Then it strikes at 1 am and it is 8 am. Every hour it strikes something else. Also, it almost sounds like it strikes before the warning when you move by hand. Then at times the strike mechanism just runs with no striking at all! I only spend $30.00 on the clock. Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? Should I keep it and figure it out or get rid of it?

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
I presume this is the 89 movement? Likely something might be an issue with the counting lever not being aligned properly with the count wheel (this is assuming all the parts are original). If the lever hops up out of the deep grooves and doesn't lock the train reliably, it could cause issues with the strike.

comet61

Aug 7, 2021
Country
Yes, it is the 89 movement.
I just finished assembling a #89 and a #44 ST movement. The strike train needs to be sequenced and in the correct position before the plates are put together. I had the same problem you did. I followed Conovers book on ST movements. Basically I made sure that the count lever was in a deep slot of the count wheel and at the same time having the drop lever in the slot of the cam gear. and the lock pin of the locking wheel should be at the lock lever. The two movements were my first ST's and they were a bit of a challenge, especially the 89. Other American movements were a tad easier in my opinion. Getting the hang of it though. OH....and make sure the count wheel is oriented correctly. My first time I had the sequence strike backward like 3,2,1 instead of 1,2,3.

Don1965

Jun 27, 2021
Country
Do you think what happened was at one time someone turned the minute hand counter clock wise and screwed it up? It is something I can fix without taking the movement apart?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
As noted, the lever has to be in a deep slot, the cam lever has to be in the notch and the stop pin has to be at the stop lever all at the same time. The first two are probably OK, and the stop wheel can be adjusted without splitting the plates. You'll have to loosen the corner where the fan is, and carefully remove the fan (careful not to bend a pivot). Then disengage the pinion of the stop wheel from the next wheel and turn it until the pin is just before the stop lever. It may take a few tries to get it right. It's best to have the springs let down for this process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helplessfanatic12
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-