American seth thomas palermo

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by sdhubb, Jul 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    can anyone help me.. i recently bought a seth thomas palermo inlay clock off eBay. i looked it up in my seth thomas book and it appears on page 111. but after that nothing. it was electrified and id like to bring it back to mechanical but there is no reference in the seth thomas book or at least i couldn't find anything. id like to know what movement it came with. thank you

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could you post photos?

3. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yup just a minute

4. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
  5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    You will need lots of parts. Probably be better to look for a complete clock.

Does it have a slotted plate on the lower right corner of right side?

Willie X

6. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    not sure i will take a few more photos but i don't see a slotted plate

7. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I forgot to include face dial
    ThAt it came with

8. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
  9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I thought it may have been a chimer but it's not. If the gong is in there you may just need the correct (120?) movement with pendulum and some hands.
    Good luck, WIllie X

10. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    No gong with it but it’s a 120 movement ?

11. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks willie x I’ll have to keep an eye out for gong and 120 movement

12. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #12 Bruce Alexander, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Did the Seller part-out this clock? If you haven't done so already, you may want to ask the Seller if they have, or have sold other parts that originally came with the case. They may have been the culprit who "electrified" the clock in the first place. Tran doesn't list the original movement for this model in his reference book.
    The distance between the holes in the dial will give you a clue. Any signs of how the original movement may have been mounted? Probably hard to tell if extra holes have been introduced, but some may look more "aged". How was it electrified? Plug-in or battery powered?

Edit:
    I think Willie is right about the 120 judging by the winding arbor hole placements.
    There is a similar model on e-Bay right now with a 120 movement, mounting hardware and hands. It pictures everything you're missing. The case is shorter so the gong may need a longer rod fabricated. Unfortunately, you'd be trading one hollowed out case for another if you swapped all of the "guts" of the clock. If you are interested and win the clock currently on eBay, you might keep the clock as is and sell your Palermo case on e-Bay. Alternatively you might put the electric movement back in and keep an eye out for everything you need. It may take a while or you may get lucky. In any case, I'll send you the link via Private Message so you can look the clock over. I really hate to see antiques "converted" over to battery powered quartz movements. There's at least a couple of sellers on eBay who are destroying a lot of antique clocks doing this.

Good luck.

Regards,

Bruce

13. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It was electrified didn’t think to use holes for reference thanks . Don’t see sign of old holes for mounting I will have to study it better see if something shows up

14. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Bruce I’d really like to bring it back to mechanical . Think I’ll keep for awhile until I find all the parts. I don’t mind waiting

15. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    That's my guess, going by the key hole spacing. There are several versions, pendulum lengths, mounting schemes, etc. Others will have more specifics.

Most had a tall cathedral type gong. You should have a small hole in the bottom board with washer marks.

Willie X

16. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yup it’s there close to the hole that was drilled for the power cord. Lol. I agree battery or electric Is just not the same

17. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    i looked back at the listing and he listed it as a sonora and just said it was electrified

18. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Just for the he’ll of it I bought two cases off of eBay . The listing expired so I don’t know what they were listed as I think he said one was a Seth Thomas case and the other a sessions but not sure. If you recognize either one please tell me I would appreciate it otherwise will keep looking to identify them. Thanks

623D73B9-C1DB-4A87-B82F-340AADC13652.jpeg 6CA2ED2A-332A-476F-98FD-A423D9CAF4A2.jpeg 233AB3F1-BABB-4B0A-87E6-DA5024C12635.jpeg AC11A65C-4EFC-4AB9-A44B-00B9B1D0DAB2.jpeg 5F0E5E1C-3EF2-4CAE-A4BB-4F0F4F80CD4F.jpeg 013A3713-DEB5-488D-B942-68677C214D38.jpeg CABFED1D-1615-4B2E-A3B4-5E7C37EA172B.jpeg

19. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, we all know that it's not a Sonora so he's no help at all, eh? He probably obtained the clock as you found it...

20. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    ok figures lol thank you

21. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like you have two different cases here. Photo 1 is not the same as Photo 4.

Photo 4 is a Sessions "Leader No. 2" from circa 1921. Here's a very useful posting of this model on a Clock Shop's website: Uncle Lem's Clock Shop: Project 71: 1921 Sessions Leader No. 2 Mantle Perhaps the Horologist can provide you with more information if you need it. We got very lucky here...

Photo 1 looks to be one of Sessions' "American" models also from circa 1921. Yours looks like the "American No. 1". I can't seem to find that model online but they are from the same time frame and are apparently of similar dimensions so I suspect they used the same movement.

Knowing the manufacturer makes identification a lot easier.

Good luck.

Bruce

22. sdhubb

sdhubb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    thank you bruce they are in very good condition so thats good. i like the simple clocks.i appreciate all your help

23. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: