Seth Thomas Ogee

Tony Ambruso

Dec 2, 2005
www.azclocks.com
Got a S. T. Ogee from 1863. It's the 29.5" model shown in Tran Duy Ly vol.2, page 650. Unfortunately, it is missing its weights. It has a harp or Lyre-shaped 8-day movement with an alarm. The movement is numbered 3063 on page 981 of the same volume of Tran's book.

I have had up to 3.5 pounds on the strike side, but it didn't work properly. The movement is clean but unlubricated. Of course, I could experiement after I lubricate the movement to determine what the clock works with, but I wanted to know the correct weight for the clock. The time side works with 2 pounds.

The movement is identified on page 50 of the Clockmakers'Beat Book as
Seth Thomas 8 Day Harp Mov. Wt Driven T&S
Front Plate: ST Logo Bird also 18 on leg
(mine has 16) but the wheel count is correct and unique to this movement.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Tony,

Usually 2 to 2 1/2 pounds will work, assuming the clock is in good condition. Check the pullies at the top and inside left of the case. These little babies, though simple, can cause some really odd problems.

Merritts had some nice looking replacement weights lately. Evidently they are cast in very fine oiley sand, or dumped into oil while still hot. The finish is a smooth dark color and they look very much like an old weight.

Willie X

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Eight day OG's take a weight that is about 7 pounds, the ones you have sound like they are for a 30 hour.

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Not uncommon for the time side to run much lighter than the strike, but to get the same "look" they overpowered most of them.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions